| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MSA Legend with Fender Steel King - Listen for Yourself
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2007 4:48 pm    

I have owned my MSA Legend for about a year now and have also had a chance to look over a lot of other guitars in the meantime. MSA's service has stood behind me and the guitar continues to amaze me with it's clear yet warm tone, string separation and eveness of timbre from wound to unwound strings and on all 24 frets.

The recordings below were all done with the MSA Legend, Fender Steel King mic'd with a Shure SM-57, RV-5 reverb and a refurbed Goodrich pot pedal with the Dunlop replacement pot. If you've missed these tunes tabbed out in the tab section, I think anyone considering a new guitar should listen and consider the MSA amongst the top choices whether you play E9th, C6th, Mooney style, standards, Nashville stuff or any other style.

Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain

Take me As I Am

Born To Lose

More MSA details here:

My MSA Page

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2007 9:14 am    

There is something about your playing I really like! Would love to work a dance hall job with you, it would be great fun.
The MSA does sound very good.
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2007 10:01 am    

Doug,

Thanks for listening!

I've gotten a lot of emails about my preference for using stainless steel strings for about 9 months at a time. I never cared for the sound of brand new strings, but after a few weeks they start to mellow out and I like them. Anyhow, the songs above were recorded with many month old strings. For comparision. here is one done when the strings were just a few weeks old:

He Stopped Loving Her Today

Greg

Last edited by Greg Cutshaw on 31 Mar 2007 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2007 1:21 pm    

Very nice Greg! You do some really neat stuff. Very Happy
Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2007 5:24 pm    

Greg, some real good playing there, and a great tone your getting as well.
Reece Anderson

Keller Texas USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2007 6:50 am    

Greg....Your exceptional ability as both a player and photographer is impressive. Thank you for sharing your talents.
KENNY KRUPNICK

Columbus, Ohio
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2007 5:05 pm    

Greg, What pickups are you utilizing in your MSA? Sounds great.Sounds like a Sho~Bud,"The Professional" guitar. I love that tone. Also what type strings are you using,nickle,stainless? Very Happy
KENNY KRUPNICK

Columbus, Ohio
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2007 5:10 pm    

Reece, It looks like I may have to save my money,and have you build me a new Legend,or Studio Pro with 24 1/4" scale. Very Happy Cool
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2007 5:45 pm    

Thanks Donny, Fred and Reece. I have great respect for all of your abilities and appreciate your kind comments. Reece and I discussed a while back, a reel to reel recording I had of him playing a real tight jazzed up arrangement of Wolverton Mountain at some club in Dallas in the late 60's, early 70's. Pretty neat stuff and a surprise song for steel guitar / twin guitar stuff. First time I saw Reece in Erie, PA when MSA 1st came out he was playing mostly in the 1st 12 frets of the guitar. A few years later I saw him and he was playing a LOT of stuff on the upper part of the neck, kind of unusual to see back then.

Kenny, I use stainless steel strings, D'addario. The pickups are Truetones, 16.6 K ohms. The guitar does have a lot of the warmth of the Sho-Bud Pro II I owned. The Sho-Bud however only had that sweet tone on the middle 6 strings and on the lower frets. It got really tinny above the 12th fret and sort of muddy on the low strings. The advantage of the MSA is that the tone character is on all the frets and strings. You don't have to worry so much about avoiding certain positions or strings to get a certain sound. Of course the tone you hear recorded is affected by many things and I tend to do all the things I can to slant the sound towards the old Sho-Bud sound but many other sounds/tone can be obtained from this guitar.

Greg
Morton Kellas

Chazy, NY, USA 1
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2007 7:27 am    

Greg, I have listened to all of your sound clips and your playing is great and so is your tone. Is your guitar a 24" scale? It sure sounds good.
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2007 9:49 am    

Morton,

The scale is 24", just checked it with my tape measure. The scale length listed at my web site has been corrected to reflect this.

Greg
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2007 11:35 am    

Greg, you should be on MSA's payroll !

good stuff, thanks

tp
Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2007 12:56 pm    

Everything Greg has done has had a great tone in my opinion.The MSA and Steel King do sound great together.I would also add you have unique style with a touch of the great Ralph Mooney if I'm not mistaken.
Rick Johnson

Wheelwright, Ky USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2007 3:55 am    

Great stuff Greg Wink

Rick

www.rickjohnsoncabs.com
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2007 6:44 pm    

Thanks Rick for the awesome cabs. I am still working on my rack setup!

Tony, you have a great website with a ton of great playing also!

Dick, I try to minimize the Mooney stuff in my playing but it keeps showing up! Those licks fit so many songs so well and they are easy to fall back on.

One last one (I promise) with new strings and the RV-5 set on deep Hall reverb. I think I am losing my argument for using old strings as looking back, the new ones have a lot more sparkle for recording. In person though, I like the fat, mellow tones of the older strings.

For The Good Times

Greg