| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Julian Tharpe would have . .
Russ Wever

Kansas City
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2007 3:46 am    

. . turned 70 today -

Click H E R E and enjoy some of his playing -

~Russ
Tim Bridges

Hoover, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2007 4:24 am    

That's way out of the box! Julian was truely a musical genious. Just think what he'd be doin' at 70...WOW. Thanks for the file...Happy Birthday Julian.
George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2007 4:30 am    

Just amazing to say the least, nothing will ever come along like him again. Thanks Russ, he was truly awsome. Happy Birthday Julian, and i still have my patch jacket.
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2007 5:13 am    

One of the best!
HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2007 5:27 am    

thank you Russ......I was not really familiar with his playing, although I know he was one of the icons of steel......
Bobby Caldwell

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2007 6:37 am    

Russ, Thanks so much for the memory. As you know Juilan and I were great friends and we shared some wonderful musical times together. Alot of those times you were there playing bass. What great memories. He was a trip to be around with his off the wall houmor that kept me in stiches most of the time. Great picture of Julian also. I miss my friend. Thanks again Russ. Loveya bro, Bobby
Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2007 9:28 am    

Thanks for the pic Russ. I saw Julian for the first time at the DJ Convention in 1969, when he and Maurice were playing D-10 MSA Guitars in the MSA demo room in the Hermitage Hotel. At this time Julian had crewcut hair style.
The next time I saw Julian it was in Nashville at the 1971 DJ convention in the Andrew Jackson Hotel. He had just taken delivery of a S-12 Wright Custom PSG, with a 10 X 6 setup. This was the begining of his Universal style tuning. In less than 6 months he switched to a S-14 PSG.
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2007 5:02 pm    

great music

thanks

Db

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2007 5:38 pm    

Put a distortion unit on that and you have Robert Randolph 40 years before his time. Julian was one of a kind.
Tom Jordan

Wichita, KS
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2007 7:38 pm    

Thanks Russ, that was cool. Julian Thorpe was before me by a bit so I don't know that I ever heard much of him...I'm thinking Jr. Brown has listened to him a bit, hu?

Tom Jordan
Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2007 7:47 pm    

Russ, thanks for posting that tune. Julian was smokin' on it. Watching him play at the Demon's Den in 1975 inspired me to start playing PSG. I can remember him playing just like that everytime I heard him. He truly was one of a kind!
Bob Ritter

pacfic, wa
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2007 7:51 pm    

omg, In scottys mel bay book there is a picture of Julian and that BMI S-14 absolutly beautiful birdseye maple and maple swirl and laquer so thick it just glows like a black light poster from the 70's. I wonder where is and what happened to that guitar. It is obvious that Zane took extra care in building that one....Funny too Julian looks a little like Neil Young in that photo...sort of.

usa
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2007 12:18 pm    

Thanks Russ! Julian was a good friend of my Dad and I and our friend Dave Burley, and spent many hours in our basement talkin' Steel. He was quick to help out an aspiring young player and quick to show encouragement. He called my Dad's home in Michigan many times just to "shoot the bull". He was and is one of the absolute GREATS!!! I miss him.
steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2007 3:34 pm    

So where can we find Julian's tapes or CDs? I have the one on b0b's CD and Tapes section. Thanks, steve t
Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2007 5:32 pm     Julian

I had the distinct pleasure of playing with Julian. Long before I knew what a PSG was. I showed up for a guitar spot audition with Beau Monday from Birmingham AL, at a club in Gadsden called the Fuzzy Duck. I couldnt tell you what brand of guitar he was playing but I was completely overwhelemd at his prowess, and his incredible tone.
Happy Birthday old friend...Mickey
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Ron Castle

West Hurley,NY
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2007 4:47 am     wow

Thanks for that clip. I listened to it 6 times in row, I could listen to playing like that all day.
In my book thats some great steel playing.
Julian & Curly are my favorite players & I'm
leaning towards Julian
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2007 4:56 am     Julian

Thanks Russ for this wonderfull gift of good memories. Years ago, when I opened my music store here in Gulfport, Ms., Julian came, set up his steel. The Pied Piper of Hamlin did not have as many amazed followers, fans and new friends. This was my friend and he is missed dearly.
Bill Stafford
Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2007 9:27 am    

My friend, mentor, and hero Julian THarpe. No one has ever played like him, nor will they. What a natural on the steel guitar. Just could eat the thing alive!

I just wish that his material/recordings were available on CDs for all the younger steelers who will never get to hear him live.

I agree with Mr. Bill Stafford, we all miss him!

One of my favorite Julian stories. He was playing something really super fast at the Big Steel Convention at St. Louis one year, and this lady kept heckling him. Anyhow, after he had played that super speed picking thing Julian style, she said how did you do that? Julian just turned around, looked at her, rubbed his Thumb and finger picks together, and said like this, looked at her and winked.

He was such a funny character, and boy, wow, what a steel picker!

GOD bless!

Terry Wood
Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2007 7:05 pm    

Happy belated birthday to one of my dearest departed teachers and heroes. Wish I would have had the chance to tell him.
Although I had seen and heard Julian play at the Andrew Jackson Hotel the previous year, I met Julian at the D.J. convention in Nashville in 1971. I was 11 years old. I met several of my pedal steel guitar heroes that year and made many life long friendships.
I'll never forget 1971. I remember my dad, an excellent musician himself, being enthralled and appreciative of Julian's musicianship and frank , yet gentlemanly way of sharing his knowledge with me. I was fortunate enough to take an entire weekends lesson from Julian. He was very thoughtful and considerate of my young age when he so kindly pointed out my flaws, how to correct them and help me understand something about music theory.
Julian was the first to inform me of what bass notes of a particular chord would allow transition to the next chord to be played. Vital information, especially to an 11 year old pedal steel enthusiast that would go on to enjoy a 30+ year career as a professional steel player.
May Julian rest in peace and never be forgotten. Should have had a plaque on the wall in the basement of the hotel many years ago, at the very least.
erik

Post  Posted 2 Apr 2007 7:15 pm    

Thanks for the education. Very unique style.

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2007 8:27 pm    

Tommy, I knew Julian as well as any body I guess. I know he would be so proud of you as we all are. He would have something funny to say about your success and your career, but deep down he would be busting at the seams. He was one of a kind, as you know. I am so glad you think of him often as I do. What great memories. I miss him alot. My best to you and yours and keep on keepin' on. Loveya pal, Bobby
Reece Anderson

Keller Texas USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2007 4:17 am    

....Julian was one of the most musically innovative and unique players in the history of steel guitar.

I believe it to be a tragedy for steel guitar, the players, and enthusiasts the world over, that he has not been fully recognized for his contributions.

I know all too well, that good things take time, but I believe it to be long past time that Julian be honored for his musical accomplishments.

The memories of Julian and his achievements, are a testament to the legacy he created.
Carroll Hale

EastTexas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2007 4:36 am    

great job on a great "cookie and the cupcakes" classic........Mathilda......wow....
Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2007 4:43 am    

Well, now that a few roadblocks that don't directly pertain to musical performance have been removed, I'm sure he'll get in too.

That HOF charter is pretty unrealistic anyhow..

EJL
Ron Kirby

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2007 4:50 am    

In my personal Steel guitar data book, Hes already there !!!