| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Joe Goldmark
Eric Jaeger

Oakland, California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2007 6:15 pm    

Just a note: I went to see Joe Goldmark playing at Amoeba in San Francisco on Saturday. Of course the playing was superb, but there were also a lot of people who didn't look like PSG aficionados (and what *DO* we look like?) grooving and having a good time.

Way to go, Joe!

-eric
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2007 6:23 pm     Re: Joe Goldmark

Eric Jaeger wrote:
...there were also a lot of people who didn't look like PSG aficionados...grooving and having a good time.

Um... those were the panhandlers... Wink

(Was he playing 'Panhandle Rag'?)
Billy Wilson

El Cerrito, California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2007 6:32 pm    

Obviously Jim C. knows exactly where Joe's store is located.
Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2007 7:46 pm    

Isn't that what going to a live music venue and paying your cover, and digging the music is all about?
I think you may be on to something.
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2007 8:16 pm    

Jim,Maybe they were Panhandle Rags.

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2007 8:48 pm    

I didn't make it to the performance, but there probably wasn't a cover charge-Amoeba Music in the Haight-Ashbury neighborhood is a rather large CD store that is managed by Joe Goldmark, part of a three store mini-chain, the other stores are in Berkeley and Los Angeles. Joe has free concerts by a variety of artists throughout the year.

Awhile back I saw the Campbell Brothers sacred steel group there.

Oakland, California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2007 1:33 pm    

Yep, plenty of panhandlers, but *outside* the store (for those not in SF, Amoeba is on Haight Street, almost as crowded with panhandlers as it was 40 years ago).

What was really warming was to see all those store customers, who I presume *didn't* come there to hear Joe, really enjoying some great steel.

-eric
Will Holtz

San Francisco, California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2007 4:10 pm     Re: Joe Goldmark

Eric Jaeger wrote:
a lot of people who didn't look like PSG aficionados (and what *DO* we look like?)

I was there, and I might have looked like a PSG aficionado, as I was in the first row, right in front of Mr. Goldmark.

Elkhorn, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2007 9:18 am    

Joe is headlining our show here in Wisconsin Mar 17th and 18th....What more can I say, Sure glad I don't have to follow.......JD

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2007 7:31 pm    

Joe was at the Dallas Show visiting. A real nice person. Jody.
Joe Shelby

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2007 9:58 pm    

Joe is, (with the obvious exception of Bobby Black) and has been the most visible steel player in the Bay
Area since the early 1970's. He's been responsible in
a big way for bringing local players together long before the internet, teaching, supporting, and maintaining a record collection as varied and mind boggling as it's size and depth (I hope it was ok to
say that, Joe).
As many know, when Joe recorded Pickin' My Pleasures, he set out to record stuff that reflected
songs not only not identified with steel guitar, but
tunes that most would not have thought even adaptible to it. This is Joe's brilliance; he's a music lover that is able to see beyond supposed limitations. And he's continued on that road through
all these years.
I owe Joe a lot for his support, at the times where I was really struggling just to get through. And the
other times when there was great camraderie, his humor, and the feeling that being a steel player wasn't about who's better or best, just that we all
belonged.

Joe.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2007 10:13 pm    

Joe is one of my idols. He is one of the few steel players with an instantly recognizable style all his own.

he also makes really good pizza.
Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2007 10:50 pm    

Hi Guys,

I just got in (minus my bags, which are flying around somewhere in the greater United States) from the Texas show. Diane and I had a blast and got to hang with, listen to, and shmooze with a number of great pickers (at the risk of leaving some out: John Hughey, Randy Beavers, Herb Steiner, JayDee Maness, Bert Rivera, Tommy Dodd, the Wright Brothers, David and Joe(!), Russ Hicks, John Macy, Jim Cohen, Mike Headrick, Chuck Lettes, Bob Hoffnar, Bruce Zumsteg and Lynn Owsley). I also got to meet Buddy Emmons, Johnny Bush, and Ralph Mooney thanks to the good doctor, Wayne Yakes.

Thanks for the nice words about my Amoeba show. I thought "we done good." Will, Eric & Mark, I'm not sure I've met any of you guys yet, so be sure to introduce yourselves that next time you're in the store. And if I have met you...the ol' short time memory loss strikes again.

Joe Shelby, most steel players are good folks, as we know. This instrument humbles you. Jay Dee told a great story at the show about playing on the Grammys behind Ray Stevens for "Misty," starting the tune and immediately breaking his 3rd string (millions watching, etc. etc. and his famous solo starts on the 3rd string!).

Jory, I think you're confusing me with Joe Wright at your convention...he's a little funnier, a little crazier, and a lot better picker than I am. You'll get your money's worth.

Hi to Jody Sanders and Billy Wilson also.

Joe
Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2007 11:08 pm    

Just thought of some more folks i had a chance to talk and hang with, that I'd hate to omit, since I'm shamelessly dropping names: Skip Edwards, Neil Flanz, Carco, Scotty, Louie Hallford, the great singer Rob Parker, fiddler Howard Kalish, and legendary guitarist Al Bruno.
Howard Kalish

Austin, Tx USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2007 10:35 am    

Joe, it was great to get to hang with you some in Dallas. I've been diggin' your playing since I saw you playing with Billy C Farlow back in '77 or so.

I'm still floating on air from all the wonderful music and happy people I got to experience this weekend.

Hope to see you again before too long. I meant to tell you how much I like your version of Peaches En Regalia.
David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2007 2:21 pm    

I too am a BIG fan Of Joe's.. got his CD in Dallas... Great stuff!!!!!!! be sure and get yours soon!!!!!!!!!
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2009 2:59 pm    

Joe Shelby wrote:
...when Joe recorded "Pickin' My Pleasures" he set out to record stuff that reflected songs not only not identified with steel guitar, but tunes that most would not have thought even adaptible to it. This is Joe's brilliance...

I just picked up a copy of Joe's LP "Pickin' My Pleasures" from the Goodwill store in 3rd Street, San Francisco.

I haven't had chance to play it yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Very Happy
Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2009 3:46 pm     Re: Joe Goldmark

Eric Jaeger wrote:
Just a note: I went to see Joe Goldmark playing at Amoeba in San Francisco on Saturday. Of course the playing was superb, but there were also a lot of people who didn't look like PSG aficionados (and what *DO* we look like?) grooving and having a good time.

Way to go, Joe!

-eric

Those were bowlers.
tom anderson

leawood, ks., usa
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2009 7:01 pm     crackerbox palace

the George Harrison song "Crackerbox Palace" from that album is one of my favorite steel guitar instrumentals.
Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2009 2:53 pm    

Hi Alan,

That was my first LP of three. And, they're reprised on my "The Goldmark Round-up" CD. Interestingly enough, "Crackerbox Palace" (mentioned above) is only on that LP.

My band, the Seducers, is playing Sunday 12/13 from 7-10 at the Riptide at Taraval & 48th, for those who are inclined. We're there every 2nd Sunday of the month.

Chris Lucker, I now know what you look like! Hope you're doing well.

Joe
tom anderson

leawood, ks., usa
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2009 3:16 pm     crackerbox palace

Yes I still have my vinyl version of that album. I bought it when it came out. Funny, but the CD I bought of George Harrison's greatest hits didn't have Crackerbox Palace either. I went to u-tube to watch the video-really great.