| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  windings on a BL910 and BL XLR pick-up
Nick Holden

North Dakota, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2007 7:26 am    

Does anybody know the windings on these pick-ups, also have any of you used these on your Emmons LeGrande II? What were your pros and cons? Thanks for any feedback.
Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2007 10:56 am    

I can't offer an opinion based on an Emmons, but I got 910's on one of my Zums. I never could get the mids clean with that pup, just too dark. I put in Jerry Wallace TrueTone's and have been happy ever since.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2007 2:39 pm    

Bill Lawrence does not use the "DC Resistance" on his pickups. He uses more accurate AC and magnetic parameters.

I have a friend that has Lawrence 710's on his Legrande II. It still has the Emmons sound but without the single coil hum. However, it's hard to get the needed pickup distance from the strings with a Legrande II. The pickup needs to be 3/8" (on the 710's) from the strings and his Legrande II is right on the edge of being 3/8". Too close and you can get distortion and too many highs.

I have the 710's on my Franklin and they are great. They are a "loose" 3/8" from the strings. Mr Franklin looked at mine and told me "You have them set to the right distance from the strings".
Nick Holden

North Dakota, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2007 4:01 pm     710 spacing

Jack I was on the BL web page and he suggested a starting point of 1/8 spacing on high end and 3/16 on the low end, I can see on my LeGrande it would be reeeel tight for the 3/8 inch spacing to happen with the 710's. If your friend and yourself use the 3/8 spacing and they sound great like you say I'll give it a try. I had 710s on my for a while with the 1/8 3/16 spacing and did get some distortion but replaced them with GLs. I'm always trying different things some day I'll be happy. Thanks for your comments.
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2007 5:01 pm    

Not sure of the reading on the BL910 but I have one on my "main" ZUM on the E9th neck (710 on C6th) and it is great. It is a hair darker than the 710 (which I have on my other Zum) but there isn't that much difference really - I usually just tweak the "vari-Z" knob on my Revelation Pre for ambiance. I use this guitar for most of my recording work and it sounds very rich, but with good punchy clarity in the mids and lower register!.

The 710 by comparison is a little brighter in the tops.