| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need a Navy job?
J Hill

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2007 10:15 pm    

I found the following post on the Banjo Hangout Forum today in the "Off-Topic (Non-Banjo related)" category:

The United States Navy Band 'Country Current' is anticipating an opening for a steel guitarist in October 2007. Starting salary is 41K with all military health and dental benefits. If you are (or know of someone who is) between the ages of 18-34, male or female, please let me know and I will put them in touch with the point of contact at the United States Navy Band in Washington DC.

Thank you!

Chief Musician Keith Arneson
US Navy Band
Washington DC
banjoitis@comcast.net
C. Christofferson

Post  Posted 6 Mar 2007 10:25 pm    

I wonder what type of repetoire they would be playing Question
John Parker

Golden Valley, Az. USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2007 11:55 pm    

I have had the pleasure of seeing the Navy Band perform and they played traditional country music. They were well worth seeing. I enjoyed them very much and would recommend seeing them play if you get the chance.
Fender Steel King
John Bresler R.I.P.

Thornton, Colorado
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2007 8:31 am    

Whoever applies for this job should learn Greg Cutshaw's version of "Steel guitar rag" with the military parts in between!!!

Cool
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2007 10:33 am    

My friend Frank Solivan plays guitar,and mando in that band..They are great,I saw them a couple of years ago.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2007 11:42 am    

What kind of boot camp would be required for this??? Do they have roadies??? Would I have to shave my head??? Too many questions!
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2007 11:59 am    

As far as I know Boot camp is the usual..no shortcuts.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2007 12:19 pm    

What a great opportunity! If I was American (and under 34 Smile) I'd be all over this one. Imagine getting a 41K salary with benefits, to play pedal steel guitar? I hope somebody here gets this position. Maybe it should be posted in the "Jobs" section as well.
Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2007 2:25 pm    

I can share from my experience that the job is indeed a great opportunity. My four year hitch with the Navy Band in Seattle, Wa. yielded me many free hours to woodshed, plenty of gigs that were smoke free and a wake up call that told me I need another 45 years of practice Sad to be an OK steel player. I enlisted to pick banjo and was ordered to learn steel. Oh well….still learning Very Happy
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2007 3:28 pm    

But is there a risk that a steel player could be 'ordered' to play banjo?? (I hear the banjo players are the first ones moved to the front lines...) Shocked
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2007 3:52 pm    

I didn't think you had to be an American citizen to serve in the armed forces. Somebody out there probably knows for sure.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.
Gene H. Brown

Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2007 4:01 pm     Need a Navy Job

It doesn't matter what country you come from, if you serve in the military or work a Government Job for a country other than the one you are a citizen of, you automatically LOSE your citizenship from the country you are from.
I am a United States Citizen born in Oklahoma and have been a Landed Immigrant in Canada for 35 years and I work for a privately owned Telephone company, but the minute I decided to join the military in Canada or went to work for the Government of Canada at any job, I would lose my American Citizenship in a heartbeat, I know this to be Fact!
Gene
Ron Randall

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2007 1:19 am    

"Oh I wish I was 18 again."

George Burns
Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 8 Mar 2007 5:37 am    

What Ron said; and know then what I know now.
Jeff Agnew

Dallas, TX
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2007 6:17 am    

To answer some of your questions:

You have to first apply for this gig by contacting the address given above. If your resume or experience looks like a good fit they will call you to discuss an audition. This would involve traveling to Washington, DC at your own expense and playing for an audition board of band members and usually an officer or two from the Navy music program.

If accepted, you would enlist in the Navy and attend boot camp in Great Lakes IL, Orlando FL, or San Diego CA (depending on where they have vacancies). This is the same boot camp program everyone else in the fleet attends. You get no special treatment. (The Marine Band in DC is the only service band that doesn't require going to boot camp. Probably because there aren't enough musicians who could make it through.)

After completing boot camp you would then be assigned directly to the Navy Band in Washington and receive an immediate promotion to E-6 (First Class Petty Officer). You would have to locate housing, as there is no resident Navy base in the DC area and housing on other services' facilities is at a premium.

Yes, you would have your head shaved in boot camp. After joining the band you can let it grow to regulation length. There are no roadies Sad The band does carry a full-time sound man and top-of-the-line audio reinforcement.

If you don't like using one of the steels they have on hand, the Navy will buy you any steel you want so that you don't have to put wear and tear on your own. Same for amps, accessories, etc. Last time I looked there was a Mullen, Derby, and LeGrande available, along with Peavey and Evans amps.

You'll actually make more than 41K, as that is only starting pay. You get seniority and cost of living increases along with any promotions you earn. And because DC is such an expensive place to live you get an additional allowance while stationed there. All told, the salary is more equivalent to about $60+K in the civilian world by the time you add the many benefits such as health care, education, tax breaks, etc. Your base salary is non-taxable, BTW.

This gig is currently held by Brad Corbin, a great player (and Charleton alum) who replaced me when I left the band in '88. I didn't realize he was leaving but he must have a good gig lined up somewhere.
Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2007 10:00 am    

Jeff,

Well put!

I am still on Active Duty in the Army. My first 13 years was as an MOS guitarist and bassist for the Army Band.

The problem I ran into about 8 yrs ago was with the Navy Band in DC. I applied for the Pedal Steel position. Mostly just talked on the phone with the MU1 or MUC that handled the auditions....

I was an E7 and they wanted me to take a reduction in Rank to E6. I wasn't interested in that...so I stayed in the Army.

I sent an audio CD, VHS video of my playing, my School of Music audition records (SOM audition score of 3.0) , etc...

Sounded like all I needed to do was just go out there and pick...then take an admin bust to E 6.

The Navy has a great program. My buddy Jim Robo (guitarist, Berklee grad '81) is still in the Navy Band out in Seattle, WA. He is an E9 now I think.

Sometimes I regret not going Navy but things for me did work out in a great way.

Good Topic!
Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2007 10:48 am    

Quote:
I didn't think you had to be an American citizen to serve in the armed forces. Somebody out there probably knows for sure

To enlist in the US Armed Forces you need to have an INS 551 Card (Green Card).

The limit of years one can enlist (or remain a member) for without US Citizenshp is 8 years which is the Statutory obligation incurred with an inital enlistment.

Once you hit the 8 yrs you must get out if you are not a US Citizen.

However, an exception is when you are aproaching the 8 yr mark...in order to extend that the Soldier must have a SCHEDULED court date for Citizenship. Of Course, all of this is verifed.

beyond that ... there is NO exception to policy for this 8 yr non-citizen rule.
Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2007 10:58 am    

Quote:
This is the same boot camp program everyone else in the fleet attends. You get no special treatment

I believe Bill Emerson was the exception to the special treatment rule as in he didn't go to boot camp. I recall he attended a two week Laughing slumber party, learning about Navy protocol. Probably the only push up he did was opening his banjo case. Banjo players and special treatment Razz go hand in hand, at least 20 years ago...
Jim Eller

Kodak, TN (Michigan transplant)
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2007 12:57 pm    

What's with this age thing?? My days in human resources said I couldn't do this if they could do the job.

OOOOOOOOOOOhhhh! It's a government job.
Wayne Baker

Altus Oklahoma
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2007 2:16 pm    

Jim Eller wrote:
What's with this age thing?? My days in human resources said I couldn't do this if they could do the job.

OOOOOOOOOOOhhhh! It's a government job.

Jim, it's not that it is a government job. Almost any other government job is restricted from age discrimination. But I am looking for a full time gig, but the Navy won't take me because I've been in the Air Force for 20 years...

Wayne Baker
Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2007 2:17 pm    

Congrats on 20 yrs... Baker
Jim Eller

Kodak, TN (Michigan transplant)
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2007 3:21 pm    

Wayne,

That's my point. It's ok for the government but not ok for, Of the people, For the people, By the people.........

Thanks for your 20 years. I appreciate it.

Jim
Chuck Thompson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2007 3:53 pm    

tim and wayne thanx for serving and tim - if you are in contact with jim robo, tell him chuck thompson says hello - and wayne, the navy wont take you because they know you've been spoiled all those years with the good food - housing and pretty air force girls
Michael Winter

Portland, Oregon
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2007 12:10 pm    

Here's a link to MU1 Brad Corbin page on the Navy Band website. http://www.navyband.navy.mil/MU1bcorbin.shtml
I just got out of the Navy after 6 years serving as a Naval Photojournalist. I'm now a full time student in an Engineering program here in Washington state. I had an absolute blast in the Navy and if I felt I was good enough I'd apply for this in a heartbeat! Perhaps maybe I can kick it up a notch and set a goal to be good enough for the next opening before I pass the age limit. I know that if you have prior service they can waiver a couple years off that age cap. I'm 26 now... I wonder how often they they go through steel guitarist? Is it like being stationed at a command for 4 years? I should email Brad and find out. Very Happy
Evans FET 500 LV
Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2007 1:10 pm    

Michael,

It may be like the Special Bands in the Army.

Once you have the gig.. it is yours for at least 20yrs and then some.