| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Players in Honolulu?
joe long

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 15 May 2006 11:49 pm    

Where can you hear some Hawaiian music with steelguitar in the Honolulu area? Everything we have seen so far does not include a steelguitar. Will be in Honolulu until Saturday moring and would sure like to hear some bands with the steel.
Jeff Au Hoy

Honolulu, Hawai'i
Post  Posted 16 May 2006 7:13 am    

Thursday night, see Auntie Genoa's show at the Waikiki Marriott (begins 6:30pm). Alan Akaka plays steel there.

Join me at the Ilikai Hotel on Friday night at 6:00pm. I'll play steel there.

If you wanna get together and jam, just email me!

Mat Rhodes

Lexington, KY, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2006 7:21 am    

Joe,

My wife and I go only once a year in September, but you'll always hear steel guitar Hawaiian style at the Halekulani (House Without A Key). Best view in my opinion. Best Mai Tais, too.

Hey, Jeff, is that a permanent gig for you? We're coming in September 7 - 15 during the Ho'olaule'a. We missed you last year and I don't want to make the same mistake twice!

Matt

[This message was edited by Matt Rhodes on 16 May 2006 at 08:25 AM.]

Kris Oka

San Francisco, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2006 7:30 am    

Hi Jeff, I will be in Honolulu from May 22 to June 1. I will be looking forward to seeing you and Alan play. Kris
joe long

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 16 May 2006 10:15 am    

Jeff, thanks for the response. We are staying at the Imperial Vacation Resort in Waikiki. Working wireless and could not open the send box for e-mail. We will see you Friday night. Would love to jam but have no steel with me. Barely got on the airplane with a pair of tone nail clippers. You can call me at 210-860-6006.
Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 16 May 2006 12:03 pm    

Joe,

Here is a little additional information:

Tuesday - Pa'ahana with Kaipo Kukahiko-steel guitar at the Moana Hotel, Banyan Veranda, 5:30-8:30pm

Wednesday - Paul Kim on the steel with beautiful falsetto at the Halekulani, House Without a Key, 5:00-8:30pm.

As Jeff says, Alan and Genoa on Thursday. Make sure you get there. Always entertaining with various guest artists appearing and playing impromptu.

Check the Moana and the Halekulani for steel guitarist to be featured just in case of schedule change.

Aloha,
Don
Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 May 2006 1:50 pm    

Kaipo doesn't play steel at the Moana, only at the Halekalani. His group wants a particular "sound", which doesn't include the steel. I heard they are trying to emulate some other group.
Anyway, he plays a Martin rhythm guitar at the Moana.
I sure wonder about some of these guys, and we sure can't shove steel on anyone if they don't want it.
The audience at the Moana wouldn't know the difference anyway.
Scotty Furushima plays with a Mother and two-daughter group some evenings at the Moana, and does a great job. You could call the hotels and ask who is playing, and when.
On some evenings, a Japanese player, Akira Ozawa, plays with the same mother-daughter group. Akira is a nice guy too.

[This message was edited by Bill Creller on 16 May 2006 at 02:54 PM.]

joe long

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 20 May 2006 10:34 am    

Jeff, what a pleasure it was to meet and listen to you last night. Your playing is superb and we looking forward to seeing you again. Send me an e-mail with your address and I will send some things back to you.

I appreciate all the responces regarding the steel in Honolulu. We did go see Mike on Thursday night and it was also great.