| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Johnny Owens-Info please!!!
Egil Skjelnes

Meland,Frekhaug
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2007 12:34 pm    

Hello.
I just got an old 45 record by Johnny Owens-"West Texas Waltz". A good player with a style that sounds like early pedal steel,late 50`s-early 60`s.Kind of primitive,but interesting too.I have never heard about this player,and it will be nice to get some info about this -to me-unknown player.Label is Lonestar,so it looks like a Texas steeler,and/or Texas label.
If you know anything about this guy,it will be nice to hear about it.
Best from Egil.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2007 5:48 pm     Lone Star Records

Johnny Owens died a few years back. He lived in New England, and worked there with Eddie Zack, who was a regular on the "Hayloft jamboree" in Rhode Island back in the '40s, '50s, and '60s. Johnny recorded about a dozen singles, but they're pretty rare nowadays. You can still hear his songs as they're featured on several compilation albums that college and indie stations play.

It's true that Lone Star was based in Texas, but they also re-released material from other labels, so tracking down a particular sideman might be difficult. If you could post a clip from the record, I (or someone else) might hazard a guess as to who the player might be.
Egil Skjelnes

Meland,Frekhaug
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2007 1:08 pm     Johnny Owens

Hi Donny.
Thanks for your reply.If I understand you correct,Johnny was a singer/artist,and not a steeler??So you believe he let his steel guitar player at the time play this instrumental with him?.Well,I have not a clue,so that was interesting.Maybe there are other that can shed some light on this.I can`t put on a track here from that single at the moment,but if I can later,I will come back to the topic.
Thanks so far.
Best from Egil.