| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stringmaster Issues
Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2007 2:40 pm    

After much contemplation and advice, including some from the members of this forum, I sprung for a Stringmaster D-8, which came in today. It's beautiful, it looks like they're supposed to, and one neck sounds fine.

Now the other news: I have a stripped tuner on the back neck. Have already emailed Terry Mueller per other threads, and hope to have that fixed.

Others have described troubles with losing the blend control button or the bridge cover. No problem there, there is no blend control on either neck, and the bridge covers are both screwed right onto the body. Isn't that a little odd? I suspect this means this must be a very early one. Serial # is 07XX.

Anybody got a better explanation? Thanks.

KP
Scott Thomas

Post  Posted 19 Feb 2007 2:53 pm    

Not odd at all . . .

Sounds like an early Stringmaster. Are the pickups chrome plated? If so, the scale length is also probably 26".

Those are rather rare, and sound really amazing, though most find the slanting tougher on the lowest frets.

Post some pics if you can!
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2007 2:56 pm    

Nothing to worry about there---the first Stringmasters did not have the blend control. Several identifying features would be: chrome pickup covers, black plastic slider switches (neck 1 on/off, neck 2 on/off). A 26" scale guitar, if that's what you've got, was only available during the first year or two. These are great sounding guitars. The blend knob is a great feature. If you had a choice of a Stringmaster with blend control or an early one without, it would be a tough call. The guitars I'm talking about were made between '53 and '55, I think (not sure if they actually made it past '54).
BTW--serial number, while not totally irrelevant, is totally irrelevant.

-----ooops.....Scott beat me to the vital info.
Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2007 3:04 pm    

Yup, chrome pickups, black switches, 26" scale.I'm sure the longer strings allow you to generate even more tension on those crappy tuners.
You guys know your stuff. And it's nice to know the instrument is older than me(barely).

Thanks.

KP
Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2007 4:24 pm    

The best Stringmaster I ever heard was one of those, though it was a T-8. Makes me wonder if the blend control was really needed.
Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2007 5:32 pm    

OK, naively I assumed the two knobs were tone and volume. They both seem to be volumes, and they both work on the far neck. What gives?
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2007 5:47 pm    

That ain't right. They should indeed be V & T, global (both necks). You've got some wiring issues.
Here's the schemo.
FWIW--don't despair & stay with it--I've got the same guitar and it will be worth it when you make it right.
Scott Thomas

Post  Posted 19 Feb 2007 5:56 pm    

One is a volume knob and the other acts as a master fader or blender knob for the pickups of any or all necks selected by the slider switches.

Completely clockwise gives you full treble by fully activating the bridge pickup only. As you start to turn counter clockwise, you begin blending in the neck pickup, quickly adding more bass to the mix. I found mine to get very bassy and muddy very quicky past about an eighth of a turn or so. The "sweet spot" was with the blender knob just barely backed off from full treble. Strum a chord and slowly turn the knob back from the full treble position and you should easily hear it. An awesome shimmering sound--very full and rich.
Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 20 Feb 2007 4:25 am    

So the long scale ones really did have blend knobs?
Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2007 6:13 am    

The reason I have two volumes is that on the neck where the tuners actually work, I have a dead pickup. On the other neck, the "tone" knob does appear to function as a blend between the two working pickups, just like on the original Fender Broadcaster.

I think I've had enough fun, and this one is going back where it came from.

KP
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2007 7:21 am    

Scott,
I'm afraid you are mistaken about the function of the tone control. It does not adjust the balance between the pickups. The pickups are hard wired together in a reverse, humbucking fashion. There is no way that the tone control adjusts individual pickups up or down. The tone control simply adjusts the "tone", not the balance between the pickups.
Scott Thomas

Post  Posted 20 Feb 2007 11:01 am    

Ken, the reason I can relate to that problem is because my longscale triple of that same vintage also had a dead pickup (the one nearest the end of the fingerboard) on the front neck.

Similarly the "tone" control seemed to function as a kind of second volume control for that neck. With the (actual) volume control turned up, and the "tone" turned all way open, that neck gave off a bright and brittle trebley sound--and rapidly diminished in volume and/or output as that knob was turned down. It's actual tone was not affected at all. This led me to think that the tone knob functioned more as a blend than as a tone knob in the normal sense.

I don't know anything about guitar electronics, and I'm sure the schematics tell the true tale for anyone who can read them. I'm just giving you my thinking based on personal experience with a similar guitar. I think Erv bought his new back in the 50's, and even still owns it--is that right, Erv? So I take his word regarding the tone control, even though in my experience it certainly functions in an unusual manner.

Too bad it didn't work out for you. I would think the tuner issue is more of a deal breaker than anything. I understand the "lollipop" tuners are a bear to repair.
Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2007 11:43 am    

I guess I really lucked out when I bought my 55' T-8 a couple of years ago. The "lolli pop" tuners turned out to be in pretty good shape after a good cleaning and lubing. The neck pickup on the outer neck needed to be rewound and Jason Lollar did an excellent job for me. Now the guitar is fully functional and I would never consider sellin it with the price of these classic guitars sky rocketing.
Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2007 12:08 pm    

I know this is a classic, and to my mind there isn't a better looking steel on the planet, but, honestly, I don't think I'll ever consider buying another. After paying prime dollar for a guitar, finding that neither neck was actually playable was very disappointing. And the length of the threads relating to exactly the problems I encountered makes me think a new Remington is a remarkably good deal.
Pretty sad really. It would be nice if Fender gave any indication at all of caring.
KP
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2007 12:14 pm    

Scott,
Yes, you are correct. I still have the T-8 Stringmaster that I bought new in approx. 1954. I sold it at one time but then had the chance to buy it back. I completely rebuilt it including taking the electronics out of it and then putting them back in again. I know how the pickups work.

As far as dead pickups, I bought a quad ( s/n 0002) and that guitar had dead pickups in it. I sent the bad pickups to Jerry Wallace (TruTone) and he rewound them for me. Jerry's the man! Very Happy
Bill Creller

Post  Posted 20 Feb 2007 3:16 pm    

I personally think you should stick with it Ken. Most old guitars have some issues and need some TLC. The electronics are the easiest part to fix on an old Stringmaster. The tuners are more of a hassle than pickups and controls. I would get the pickups fixed/rewound as necessary, and get the wiring straight, and you will have a classic to be really proud of.

Just my 2bits

BILL
Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2007 3:40 pm    

I gigged for a living for years, though admittedly not on steel. I would never have dreamed of trying to play out with an instrument as predictably undependable as these appear to be. Earlier in this thread somebody mentioned sweating bullets every time he contemplated changing his strings. I don't need that much stress.
The Stringmaster is already UPSing its way back to the vendor.

But I do appreciate the moral support from you guys.

What can anybody tell me about guitars from Elva West?
KP
Scott Thomas

Post  Posted 20 Feb 2007 4:29 pm    

Fortunately, there are some real good choices today for anyone looking for a new Stringmaster type console guitar. There are several threads on just this sort of thing lately . . .
Jeff Au Hoy, who has a pretty discriminating set of ears I think, said recently about Alva West's guitars that in a blind test, he would be hard pressed to tell one apart from a Stringmaster.
Keoki Lake has always raved about his. I also heard that Elva works individually with the customer to give you what you want concerning specs and options.

Also, listen to any of the sound files posted recently by Kay Das. That's a West Coast steel. Nice sounding as well.
Bill Creller

Post  Posted 20 Feb 2007 5:10 pm    

Elva is a really nice guy and I think he would build you a nice instrument.
BILL