| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Looking for Texas VFW,Elks Lodge,Etc.
Wade Branch

Weatherford, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2007 5:31 pm    

Our band "Landon Dodd and The Dancehall Drifters" are located here in Texas and we play nothing but "Traditional Country".We played the VFW in Denton saturday night and had a ball.We had dancers the whole night and they tipped us like you aint never seen.

I would like to play more of these type venues were traditonal country is welcome,my question is this,have any of you guys played some of these places around Texas where they appreciate good dance music ? I would love to have some names of either the town with the club name or maybe even a contact name and number.Thanks

www.myspace.com/landondoddandthedancehalldrifters
Mark Edwards

Weatherford,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2007 2:59 am    

Wade give me a call, I might be have some info your looking for.
Wade Branch

Weatherford, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2007 6:13 am    

Thanks Mark,I'll get a hold of you.

Come on guys !! You cant tell me that nobody from Texas here, has ever played a VFW gig or something similar to it ,that was fun and supported the traditional country music.I need names of the towns they where in.Help a brother out. Very Happy
Doc Hall

Galveston, Tx
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2007 7:18 am    

I'm thinking that here on the Gulf Coast you find the VFW's, Knights of Columbus, and Eagles Aeires, as potentially good places for C&W. I am familiar with dance halls in Galveston and Brazoria Counties. Drop me an email and I can give you some specific locations.
James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2007 7:32 am    

Wade, as far as I know, all the VFW halls in Texas typically welcome classic country music. The one close to me, VFW post 8905 frequently has classic country bands. It is a little west of Houston out 290 in Cypress. My band recently decided to play at a Valentines Day dance in the gym at the Church of the Latter- day Saints. I really didn’t know what to expect because all I really play are bars. That was one of the best gigs I ever played. The people danced all evening, they came up and interacted with the front man and in general, they had a really good time. I was pleased to get an email saying we had been invited back to play as they have a singles dance once a month. At the end of this gig, we got the biggest tip I have ever gotten playing music. When I was playing for Classified Country Band, we played nothing but old country and booked places like the Ft. Bend County Fair, Memorial Park Trail Ride dance, Trav's Tavern, Brazos Bottom Bar and Grill, Bill Mraz Dancehall and quite a few private functions. Unfortunately the singer took a job out of state and the band fell apart after that. I have never noticed a shortage of places for good old fashion classic county bands to play here in Houston. The biggest problem is getting other musicians who want to play it. What I have noticed is that steel players seem to be more willing to play older country music than other musicians in this particular area.....James
Jon Jaffe

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2007 7:49 am     Pilot Knob

Wade ol' pal, I have one at the Pilot Knob VFW, Austin, March 16th, I will let you know about it afterward, if I ever find it!
Wade Branch

Weatherford, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2007 4:43 am    

Thanks Guys,Keep them coming !! Very Happy
Wade Branch

Weatherford, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2007 4:44 am    

Calling all Texas guys,anymore ? Laughing
James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2007 8:17 am    

Wade, I guess I misunderstood what you were asking. If your looking fo places to book your band, I can tell you a few places that welcome good old hard core classic country dance bands:

Borskis Tavern in Willis
Travs Tavern in Richmond
Texan saloon in Richmond
West end Pub in Katy
Henry's Hideout in Plantersville
Cypress Salon in Cypress
Cypress Lounge in Cypress
Cypress VFW hall Post
Ropers in Sealy
Armadillo Ballroom in Brazoria
Thirsty Parrot in Monaville
Nitelife Dancehall and salon in Sommerville
Z bar in Richmond
High Chaparell in Robstown
Al's Sports bar in Houston
Armadillo Palace in Houston
Firehouse Saloon in Houston
Aubreys Club in Houston
Blancos Bar and Grill in Houston
Big Dog Icehouse in Channelview
Big Texas Danceahall and Saloon in Webester

If I can think of some more, I will add them for you.....James

Texas Borders in Katy....Dont know how I forgot that, I am playing there in a week....
Wade Branch

Weatherford, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2007 11:14 am    

James,Now thats what Iam talking about,good job !!! Laughing If I get some work out of this deal, Ill have to buy you a new steel as a token of my appreciation (would you settle for a adult beverage instead) Very Happy