| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Saluda: revisited
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2007 6:06 am    

MAN, I just want to thank ALL you guys! Jerry and I didn't have a boss (Charles is recuperating at home), but with a lot of folks' help, we made it! Rob, you did a super job playing, singing, and M'C-ing the show. The band--Woody, Johnny, Wayne, Jerry, and Jim---did a great job, as always, along with the guest pickers like Ken Fox, Jerry Burns, Bob Strickland, the guy with the PRS on Saturday night, and the fill-in bass dummy...
Thanks to the guys who helped carry equipment, especially for David Christmas, who's had some surgery, and for Herby Wallace. And thanks for coming and playing, Herby. Made a lot of us proud!
John Hughey---What can you say??? An absolute MASTER of the pedal steel guitar, and a class guy to boot. Miss Jean, thank you, too. And a special thanks to John for opening for Larry Danley...
The local guys---Jerry, David, Ernest, Clyde, Joe, Larry, Brett, Larry, and the folks who's names I can't remember---Thanks for playing.
The Shriners in the kitchen---Keeping good food hot and steady all day long. As Rob Parker so eloquently put it, if you missed this one, you missed a BARN-BURNER!!!
Thanks to those who asked about Charles, and we're sorry that some of you guys were sick. Just left more hot dogs for me(burp).
And thanks to all of those who came in support of the Shriners' Hospitals. They're the reason we're gonna keep this thing going.
Oh yeah, I scored a KILLER Super Reveerb from Ken Fox Very Happy !
May God bless you all.
John Hughey

Hendersonville, Tn. U.S.A., R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2007 5:22 pm    

Hey Steve,
Jean & I just want to let you and the whole crew know what a great time we had. Everybody was so nice and helpful and we enjoyed our part of the eatin' too.
And it was a treat for me to get to open for Larry. Smile
We look forward to coming back sometime as it is one of our favorite shows.
Take care and don't work too hard.
John Hughey
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2007 5:44 pm     Saluda!!

Ruth and I had a ball! Thanks for letting this guitar old picker get up and play on jam night!

We had a great time meeting folks from the forum as well as folks we have done repairs and such for. It is fun to put the faces and names together.

It was great to get a chance to talk to Herby again. We had a great time talking about guitar amp and steel amp history.

Herby is sounding better and better each show I see him play. It was great to watch him and John H. both at work on stage. Their technique and musical knowledge is a real inspiration to me.

We look forward to the next show. You folks that missed it really missed out. Be sure to make plans for the next one!!

Hope to see some of you at Dallas in a few weeks.

Also thanks to the hard work to put this show together. My hat is off to Steve Gambrell for working so hard to take up the slack left by Charles needed absence. We pray he is recovering well (that applies to Steve as well!!)
Wayne F. Smith

Bethlehem, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2007 8:47 pm     Saluda

I Had a good time. It was good to see all my friends there. It was great to see Jack Molette there. I really enjoy it when he shows up. He's a great picker. We sure had the good guitar players this time. I missed most of the Georgia gang, they didn't show up. Enjoyed John Hughey as usual and that Time Jumper DVD I bought, is a keeper. Best I ever saw.

Wayne
Rob Parker

Paducah, Kentucky, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2007 10:50 pm    

ROB PARKER

Posted 19 Feb 2007 5:15 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well,
Another great show is in the books..for all the can't shows, won't shows, didn't shows,you missed a barn burner...maybe you can be there in May..sorry you guys had the 'bug' and are recovering..hope you are back to speed soon..and our buddy Charles Reece is doing fine after his surgery..and our pal David "Porky" Christmas has been made almost well, and he came and played.
Our all star staff band played super, and were joined by our good buddy, guitar great Jack Mollette and also Jerry Burns and Bob Strickland..and another guitarist who I cannot remember his name, and Ken Fox...so along with Woody, and Johnny, and Steve Gambrell, we had a star lineup of guitarists..along with all the fine steel guitarists, headed by Herby Wallace , and Mr. 'Soul' ,John Hughey..
Don't miss the next one..
Thanks for the invite and all the hard work of the staff and volunteers, and another great show..
RP...'come on in'...
Bob Strum

Anniston Alabama
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2007 4:36 am    

Amen to all above...standing room only!
Larry Danley

Winter Haven, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2007 9:57 am    

I just can't say enough for the gang in Saluda, it is such a pleasure to be able to play with such a great Band, woody,Johnny, Wayne, Jerry, Jim. you guys are the greatest, thanks so much.

Thanks Steve for makeing me feel so welcome, I truely love the fellowship of all the player's and I really want to thank John & Jean for there friendship, you are both the greatest, and Herby & Bunny, two of the nicest people I know.

I can't wait for the next time, again thanks to all.

Larry & Jackie
David Fields

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2007 11:21 am    

Hey Steve:
I really intended to try to make it there, but was in Lumberton, NC visiting the in laws and making a sweep through Rockingham. My brother is having some health troulbles and I needed to see him.
Hopefully next time. Sounds like it was a good turnout!

Dave
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2007 11:37 am    

Sorry I missed the show. I was sick all weekend. My wife kept feeding me Peter Pan peanut butter sandwiches and telling me it would make me better, but it didn't seem to help. She's so good to me. She made me a big plate of peanut butter fudge and some peanut butter cookies too. I'm lucky to have such a caring wife.
Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2007 12:40 pm    

Hey Rick...I bet she even went to the trouble to find the good stuff, lot #2111 ! Hope you're feeling better, fun ain't it. Anyway, I'm working on a new one that fiddle is gonna sound mighty sweet on. See you in May.
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2007 5:50 pm    

I forgot to mention the great singers that were there, too. I'm not gonna try and list everybody's names, since I'll invariably leave somebody out Embarassed . Just two days of fun and fellowship!
Chuck Hall

Warner Robins, Ga, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2007 1:45 am    

Amen Bob
There was standing room only so my bunch sat in the dining room. I could see John thru the door and hear very well. And, since I was in there I finnished up the hot dogs. Your were all right they were the best.
Who did the big bus belong to? Somebody came in style....
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2007 3:16 am    

I too am very sorry I missed the show. I ended up going to work at a trade show in Raleigh..clearly not my first choice for fun , Maybe next time Sad

t
Ernest Cawby

Lake City, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2007 9:09 am     show

Stephen we are sad we missed this one, both cars broke down, crysler blew the motor, ordered a new engene from Mi, it is so cold up there they cannot ship yet, the Van blew on the way to the club jam Wen, 20 miles from home, only had 200000 miles on it, putting a new motor in both, may be ready for the next one.
My friend Larry Danley sure had a good time he is such a great guy and fun to watch play, I got him started by going to clinton Opra, created a monster. And what can you say about Ken Fox and Ruth, they are great also, and fun to be with.

ernie Sad cause we were not there
Very Happy cause you had a great show
Jim Meiring

Highlands, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2007 5:17 am    

Many thanks to the folks in Saluda for putting on a great show. It is a real treat to hear the likes of Herby, John , and Joe Turner, Clyde and everyone on steel and a great band.
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2007 12:27 am    

It was definitely a great show! I'm lookin' forward to May's show and I'm curious to find out what date it is in May. It's always wonderful to play at the Southern Steel Guitar Convention. "Redgold Beauty" and I are lookin' forward to the next one.

Brett
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger