| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bob Brozman and Tau Moe - 1988 (YouTube)
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2007 9:32 am    

These two clips look like they were captured by holding a video camera up to a television, but they're a fascinating look at Tau Moe's tricone playing compared to Bob Brozman's own tricone playing.
Tau Moe playing tricone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vJMJOYM4ts
Bob Brozman playing tricone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma6zEMdqOGY
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2007 10:08 am    

Outstanding find, Brad. Thanx for the post!

In part 1, you can see Sol K. Bright sitting behind Tau, enjoying the moment.

What an incredible day. Too bad I managed to miss it.
Scott Thomas

Post  Posted 16 Feb 2007 10:26 am    

I love the story about how Brozman found the only known copy of Paahana and Mai Kai No Kauai in a seocnd hand shop and it changed his life. He then did some research and found that the musicians were still around and performing. And now here he was recording and performing with them. Talk about dreams coming true!

I think Bob was responsible for getting Tau back into playing the tricone---which he had long since abandoned in favor of the electric steel--even finding and presenting Tau with a style 2 (rose engravings) like one he'd lost years earlier. What a great gesture from a great musician.

Interesting how Moe could so easily go from a song that practically defines Hawaiian roots music into "Right or Wrong" by Bob Wills with equal fervor.

Thanks for sharing those, Brad!
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2007 12:24 pm    

The year Bob first met Tau was when he and I were both in Waikiki. Bob, myself and his (former ) wife Catherine did a live gig at the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Centre for KCCN, (I played r/guitar). Afterwards we got into a discussion about Tau Moe. Bob was aware that Tau was in Hawai'i, however ithis being his first visit to the islands, he did not know exactly where Tau lived. I casually mentioned I knew Tau very well. Bob's eyes lit up like traffic lights! I called Tau to arrange a meeting at the Moe home in Lai'e for Sunday. Bob picked us up and we drove in his rental convertable up to Lai'e where Bob finally met his "hero" along with Rose and son Lani. We had a marvelous jam session in Tau's front room, my wife recorded it. When we returned home to Edmonton, I copied the tape, sent it to Bob which I am sure prompted him to make that memorable lp with the family. Anyway, whether it did, or not, (immaterial. we had a great session. Rose, (bless her memory), was an absolutely exceptional singer. A REAL Treasure ! She had a fabulous voice and a wonderful memory for the old songs seldom heard anymore. Sadly, over the ensuing years, she developed severe alzheimer disease which finally claimed her life. Lani had a beautiful tenor voice, was a great cook and doted on his Mom and Dad until cancer claimed him. Tau left us at the age of 95. Daughter Dorian is the only surviving member of the infamous "Tau Moe Family" who can presently be found entertaining and working at the Polynesian Cultural Center in Lai'e.

This video was taken at the (now demolished) Kapiolani Bandstand in Kapiolani Park. I always liked that old venue and was kinda sorry to see it replaced by the new ultra modern bandstand. There was an unmistakable charm about that old structure where the Royal Hawaiian Band performed regularly.

Ron...Are you sure that was Sol K. Bright looking on ? The mic stand kinda hides his face. I thought it might be Sol "Sonny" Kamahele ??? Sure looks like him.
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2007 12:41 pm    

I was torn between Sol K. and Sonny for a bit, but there are a couple of moments that his face shows enuf to say Sol K. to me, plus his typical all white attire, which I doubt Sonny would have bothered to wear to such a function.

I too miss the old bandstand, with all it's history, like this day.
It projected the sound well without the need for much or any amplification.

Thanx for your involvement in helping Bob make history!
Colin Brooks

Post  Posted 16 Feb 2007 2:56 pm    

Wonderful to see this. I wonder if we will ever see the documentary about the Moes (or some of the footage from it) that Bob B worked on with them.

Scott, Sol Hoopii recorded a great version of "Right Or Wrong" in 1927, well before Bob Wills!
Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2007 3:33 pm    

Ron,

I was thinking the same thing. I am 95% sure that is Sol K Bright behind Tau Moe. Sol came to Winchester years ago and played the steel with some coaxing. A little rusty but you could see the talent was there.

Many of these old time entertainers could play the steel. I remember when Harold Hakuole and Walter Mo'okini came to Winchester we got them to play when they had both been dormant for a few years. They still had the old touch.

Then of course Harold starts playing regularly at the House without a Key - Halekulani after Barney Isaacs passes.

I have fond memories of that old Kapiolani Bandstand.

Thanks Brad.

Aloha, Smile
Don
Scott Thomas

Post  Posted 16 Feb 2007 3:40 pm    

Keoki: Cool

Colin: Embarassed

(The well-placed emoticon can say so much.)
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2007 4:01 pm    

But gladly not the end of the Tau Moe Dynasty.

http://members.tripod.com/hej_moe/index.html

Lie T. Moe Lanni (Jo) Moe Lupe T. Moe

The youngest of the PERFORMING Moes

Lanni Tau Moe, record producer/musician and SON of Tau Savea Moe !!

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2007 10:49 am    

Don writes: "I remember when Harold Hakuole and Walter Mo'okini came to Winchester we got them to play when they had both been dormant for a few years."

In a sense, that was true. However both Harold and Walter were very active on the Waikiki scene on steel back in those years. They were, (and are in Harold's case), accomplished steel guitarists which doesn't happen unless one is playing steadily and keeping in practice. Sadly Walter, who has to be one of the nicest of the very nicest has packed it all in, sold all of his equipment and guitars and now lives in a senior's complex not far from Diamond Head. He will always be fondly remembered for his outstanding falsetto voice, great steel guitar ability and also as a fine bassist and r/guitarist.
Both Harold and Walter appeared at the Winchester Convention to accompany the "star" at the time, (I think it was Alan Akaka, although admittantly, I'm not sure). Anyway, they played r/guitar and bass on stage. Neither of them appeared on stage playing steel during that 3 day convention. (At least, not that particular year. They may have returned another year when I was not in attendance). On the last nite, I along with Billy Reid Sr., were over at Billy's bedroom unit doing some 'talk-story' and tossing a few drinks with Harold and Walter when we got into a great jam session with both Harold and Walter playing steel alternatively. Ian Ufton later joined us. Dirk Vogel seemed so surprised upon hearing these two fine steel players, but sadly the convention was all pau and it was too late to feature them on stage. I taped that bedroom jam session. It was also the last year we ever saw Billy Reid Sr., (who was the "Dean of Hawaiian Music"), as he passed away from cancer many later months. Great memories of two outstanding steel guitarists. Harold, last I saw him, was still playing steel at the Halekulani "House Without a Key". I love to hear him 'growl' whenever he sings some of those old almost long forgotten hulas !
Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2007 2:08 pm    

Keoki,

Alan Akaka was the featured player when Walter and Harold were at Winchester.

Aloha, Smile
Don
HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2007 7:54 pm    

and here's one Moe'

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2007 1:29 pm    

Ron....I think I have to agree, it is SOL K BRIGHT sans his Hawaiian Cowboy hat. Cool