| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Les Paul playing Steel ?
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2007 5:26 pm    

On the Les Paul and Mary Ford album "Lovers' Luau", which is all Hawaiian standards, Les plays the lead on electric guitar, and Mary plays rhythm, but there is an Hawaiian guitar in the background. The album's instrumental credits just list Les Paul and Mary Ford, so the question arises, who is playing electric Hawiian ?

Les Paul is renown for multiple tracking, so I imagine it is he who is playing the steel, which brings up the question is it a frying pan or has he retuned a regular electric guitar and is playing it with a steel ? The playing is not overwhelming, quite subdued, in fact, but it sounds to me like C6 tuning, and running chords up and down like Alvino Rey used to do.
Billy Gilbert

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2007 2:55 pm    

When I was in high school right after WWII, Les Paul came to our school way down south in Harlingen, Texas. He was playing a steel guitar and was selling a little cheap flattop guitar with raised strings and a paper fretboard. It had the notes printed under each string at each fret. Some instructions and music came with it. You had to look at the note on the music sheet then find it on the guitar neck. Nobody that bought one made it to Nashville.

He played mostly Hawaiian music and demonstrated some sound effects, straffing airplanes and bombs going off. Quiet impressive. He probably could have been a great steel player if his interest had been in that direction. SmileSmile Billy
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2007 5:10 pm    

...then it may be as I suspect, that Les Paul is the one playing steel in the background.