| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Color outside the lines.
Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2007 4:05 pm    

I don't consider myself a Steel player but I'm getting better. My main istrument is lead guitar(Tele). I'm not a copy musician. I am self taught and have guys ask me all the time how I did something on the guitar, I say heck I don't know its just something I made up. To make a long story short, I think thats what sets guys like Brent Mason, Buddy Emmons,Doug Jerigan and Paul Franklin aside from the rest, They improvise. I've always felt that you will never get very far sounding like someone else.
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2007 6:22 pm    

By playing like everyone else you can develop your own style. Everyone borrows from others. After all, you're playing an instrument designed for the playing styles of others, and some of the music that comes out is inherent in the tuning and construction of the instrument.

Have you ever noticed that you can tell whether the writer of a song wrote it to the guitar or a keyboard ? Songs written to a guitar tend to flow around the notes of the chords picked. Songs written to a keyboard are much more difficult to strum a guitar to, because they weren't written around guitar patterns.
Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2007 6:53 pm     Alan, I agree somewhat.

Alan, I hope I didn't sound like I was on an ego trip. I just meant that there is only one Chet Atkins ect.Of course learning to play like him is going to make you an awesome guitar player
as well as having knowledge ,but if we don't improvise and learn our own style we would all sound like Chet. I think it was 78 at the convention I heard Buddy Emmons do Mansion On the Hill.
The first time I had heard an EBOW used on a steel.I thought it was the most beutiful peace of music had ever heard. I have tried so hard to learn that song just like he played it but so far no dice. Of course I don't consider myself a steel player, just a wanna be.A year ago I about cut my thumb and my index finger off on a saw. I have no feeling in my index finger, so its hard to feel my pick, so I'm going to try the steel. I understand the mechanic's of it so wish me luck. I am also a songwriter and agree about the difference of Guitar and Piano.