| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons & Midland Record Label Discography?
Jason Longoria

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2007 2:42 pm    

Hi, I just started collecting steel LPs but I was wondering what was really out there, I want to know if anyone has a list of what was released on the Emmons LP label (black album...) and on the Midland label (jimmy day all those years, lloyd green 10 shades, weldon pedalman)

Hey any help would be awesome! I cant find much info online

thanks!
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2007 5:19 pm     A couple...

Doug Jernigan's album "Diggin' Doug" was on the Emmons label, and Ernie Hagar's "Steel Guitar Odyssey" was on Midland.
Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2007 7:25 pm    

Jason, I too collect lp's including steel guitarist lp's. As far as whats out there-there's tons of stuff. One time back around 1978 or 79, I went to a church rummage sale, and to my surprise there were hundreds of lp's for sale at $1 each. In going through the lp's, I came across 87 steel guitar lp's. I still remember the number because I was short on cash and had to borrow the money to buy them. Today, I hit the garage sales and the second hand stores. I always search this forum as well as ebay. Today I've got almost all the steel guitarist lp's, and most are in very good shape. As far as the Midland label and the Emmons label, I think that Scotty used to list the Midland records, and I may have an old Midland list if you need it from the late 70's early 80's, and as for Emmons, I'll go through my steel lp's and see how many I have with that label. Happy hunting.
Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2007 7:49 pm    

My first instrumental effort was on the Emmons Guitar label. I was one of only 3 or 4 artists on the label at that time.
Egil Skjelnes

Meland,Frekhaug
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2007 11:01 pm     Steel Guitar LP`s

Hi.
I collect Steel guitar records too,and get in touch if you have stuff to trade with.
But try to buy the "International Steel Guitar Discography",
A very interesting book that gives you all of these answers as well.Put together by Joe Goldmark.Probably still for sale around like at Scottys.
At Emmons label at least the following saw the light of day-Emmons,Jernigan,T.White,Ron Lashley+ a cople of singles.
On the Midland label can Scotty answer that,but close to 20 if I remember correct.
Another Collector,Egil
Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2007 9:20 am    

Wasn't Midland Scotty's own label?
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2007 9:57 am    

Yes. Probably, sooner or later, he'll spot this thread and answer your question fully.
Jason Longoria

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2007 2:17 pm    

hey Duane, Egil and everyone else thanks a lot! too cool, I'm gonna look for that steel discography, Did Weldon ever release an LP on Emmons? I saw a single by him on Emmons.

I don't have much right now, just ur basics, Jimmy Day salutes Helms, All those years, the Phillips LPs, Crawford Ton of Steal, Emmons Black and One for the Road, Mooney w/ Burton, Pedalman, Hal steals Loretta, L Green Ten Shades and others and dozen cds or so ... but I want more! haha

I am very impressed, amazed plus grateful people like Scotty way back when took the chance and released such cool classic steel LPs, I wasnt around back then but the records still live on with me!

thanks again

-jas
Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2007 3:12 pm    

Hi Jason,

The Discography is way out of print and out of date now. I did the last one (Eighth Edition) 10 years ago with help from Egil (posted above). But, that was when records were ending and CDs had already begun, so it's pretty accurate for vinyl (78s, 45s, EPs, LPs, transcriptions). It's an amazing resource, over 200 pages crammed with info. I haven't had the time to update it since then. I do have an extra one I'd be happy to send you, if you email me your address.

Joe
Jason Longoria

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2007 3:42 pm    

Hello Joe I sent you an email through the site, let me know, I'm totally interested, thanks!
Russ Wever

Kansas City
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2007 9:48 pm    

If I were home I could be more complete, but here're some that come to mind - I'll bring this thread to Scottys attention and he can correct any I might have wrong and be more complete.
~ Russ

Keepin' It Country - DeWitt Scott
More Ways To Play - Curly Chalker
Flying Fingers - Wally Murphy
Pedalman - Weldon Myrick
Steel Trek - Bob White
Kentucky Style Steel - Dale Waggoner
Zane Beck Meets Bobby Caldwell -
Wade Ray -
The J.E.T. Age - Julian Tharpe
From Sydney To Australia - Kenny Kitching
Joaquin Murphey
Altered Ego - Hal Rugg
Ernie Hagar - Steel Guitar Odyssey
Master Of Touch and Tone - Jerry Byrd
Live at ISGC Vol 1 - Buddy Emmons
Live at ISGC Vol 2 - Buddy Emmons
Live at ISGC Vol 3 - Emmons, Anderson, Green & ??
Take Your Pick - Julian Tharpe
Two of A Kind - Johnny Cox & Wayne Cox
Ten Shades Of Green - Lloyd Green
Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2007 12:02 pm    

Hi Again Jason,

You're actually collecting vinyl at a great time. Most guys are dumping their collections and the price is right. When Egil & I were accumulating our collections there was no eBay, so it was a real challenge to find albums that we knew or suspected existed, but couldn't find. Now I see albums that I used to consider rare, popping up on eBay for just a few dollars.

Now the scary news. If you consider foreign albums, including domestic albums with alternate covers from other countrys, there are close to 1000 pop and country steel guitar instrumental albums. Plus, there's @150 dobro albums and countless Hawaiian albums. But, it's a real fun thing to collect, and I'm still doing it!

The discography is in the mail.
Joe
Jason Longoria

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2007 12:25 pm    

Joe thanks again! Hey today I found here in san antone, Johnny Bush presents the Bandaleros its all instrumental on Bandalero records 1002 and Rick Price is on steel, $8 its a local pressing also found Curley Chalker Steels the Hits on Columbia for $8 .. now the guy had the Midland 1000 Zane Beck meets Caldwell and I kinda wanted it but he wanted $20.. I wasnt sure if that LP was worth it or not... I appreciate the responses on here, I makes me want to keep on diggin'!
Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2007 2:41 pm    

Hi Jason,

Very cool. That's a good example, I looked for a number of years before finding that Bandoleros album. The Chalker album is interesting, in that it's a major label release (Columbia), and really neat to see. However, there's a lot of them out there. I'm guessing that you'll find the Zane Beck album cheaper on eBay at some point (although the shipping adds some bucks). Happy hunting.

Joe
DeWitt Scott

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2007 10:58 pm    

I started Midlan Records back in 1975 and before I finally quit I had the following LP's on my label.

MD-1 Zane Beck Meets Bobby Caldwell
MD-2 Jet Age Julian Tharpe
MD-3 More Ways To Play Curly Chalker
MD-4 Keeping' It Country DeWitt Scott
MD-5 Kentucky Fried Steel Dale Wagner
MD-6 Steel Trek Bob White
MD-7 Zane Beck Plays The Student Model
MD-8 Take Your Pick Julian Tharpe
MD-9 Ten Shades Of Green Lloyd Green
MD-10 All Those Years Jimmy Day
MD-11 Chicken Pickin' Good Crawford/Hicks
MD-12 Joaquin Murphey
MD-13 In The Spotlight Bobby Caldwell
MD-14 Cross Country Doug Jernigan
MD-15 On And Off Stage John Hughey
MD-16 Tribute To My Buddy “Little “ Roy Wiggins
MD-17 The Legendary Bud Isaacs
MD-18 Ton Of Steel Jimmie Crawford
MD-19 Strung Up Herb Remington
MD-20 Steel Guitar Odyssey Ernie Hagar
MD-21 Two Ace's Johnny Cox-Wayne Cox
MD-22 Flying Fingers Wally Murphy
MD-23 Sydney To Nashville Ken Kitching
MD-24 Pedalman Weldon Myrick
MD-25 Southern Fried Steel Julian Tharpe
MD-26 Play By Play Paul Franklin
MD-27 Master Of Touch And Tone Jerry Byrd
MD-28 Lloyd's Of Nashville Lloyd Green
MD-29 Altered Ego Hal Rugg
MD-30 Gospel Steel Guitar Doug Jernigan
MD-31 Deep Feelings Julian Tharpe
MD-32 Thumbs Up Bobby Garrett
MD-33 Funky Monkey Gene O'neal
MD-43 Pappy Wade Ray (Fiddle with Steel) Wade Ray
MD-45 London To St. Louis Hogan/Hayward
ISGC-1 Buddy Emmons Live In St. Louis Buddy Emmons
ISGC-2 Buddy Emmons Live In St. Louis Buddy Emmons
ISGC-3 Emmons, Jernigan, Green, Anderson, Jernigan
ISGC-4 Bob Browning-singer, Jeff Newman-Steel 45 RPM

The only recording I have left on LP is the Pappy Wade Ray. Maybe a few LP's by Bobby Caldwell "In The Spotlight". Take notice that his recording is a jazz recording where Bobby shows off his talents to play jazz and there is no steel on it. I do have some Hawaiian LP's in my basement but I don't remember who the steel player are.

Back when I started Midland Record there wasn't very much to choose from. Jerry Byrd, Buddy Emmons, Pete Drake, Speedy West, Buddy Merrell and a few others was all there was. Tom Bradshaw came out with some recordings and eventually had many steel guitar LP's on his label. One collector I know of is Jurgen Koop. Jurgen lives in Dripping Springs, TX and has a hugh country collection of LP's and many steel guitar recordings. You can reach Jurgen at jkoop@austin.rr.com. Scotty