| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Was Wink Martindale Country?
George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2007 9:52 pm    

I heard this song by gameshow host Wink Martindale on a country station that still plays real country music. It was the song "Deck Of Cards". I never really considered him country, or a serious country artist. Not much of a game show host either. Did he ever put out anything else, or was he just a one hit wonder? did you consider him a serious country singer? He talks a good song, but sing?
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2007 10:02 pm    

Is that the song about the soldier who is reproached by his commanding officer for playing cards, and who goes on to explain how all the cards remind him of something dear to him? Good song, if a bit gimmicky. I have an older recording of that by Phil Harris. I think it was written by T. Texas Tyler.
Edward Meisse

Santa Rosa, California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2007 11:53 pm     Disc Jockey

I remember Wink Martindale as a rock and roll DJ in the Los Angeles area during the early to mid 1960's. I'd be suprised if he had any real country credentials. But then I was suprised to see him as a game show host. Seemed out of character.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2007 4:33 am     Re: Disc Jockey

Edward Meisse wrote:
I remember Wink Martindale as a rock and roll DJ in the Los Angeles area during the early to mid 1960's. I'd be suprised if he had any real country credentials. But then I was suprised to see him as a game show host. Seemed out of character.

Well, after all, a gig's a gig. Bob Eubanks was also a R&R DJ for a while before becoming a TV personality.
Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2007 6:21 am    

Wasn't Bob also known for having a big part in bringing the Beatles over for their first time. I think I read that he mortgaged his house to do it. He also managed Haggard at one time.
George Redmon

Post  Posted 3 Feb 2007 7:12 am    

He managed Haggard? wow i sure didn't know that. And craig you called him "Bob" what is this guys real name? just curious "Bob Martindale"? Rolling Eyes
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2007 7:21 am    

Uh, George, I think he was referring to Bob Eubanks. Wink's real name was Winston.
George Redmon

Post  Posted 3 Feb 2007 7:25 am     Why do i ask?

Afraid to ask! Wink is short for winston? ah yeah! "I dreamed i was there....in hillbilly heaven......"
Fred Jack

Bastrop, Texas 78602
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2007 8:07 am    

Didn't Bob E. have a brother named Jack Eubanks, a guitar player in Nashville in the 60's? I haven't heard of Jack for a long time. Anyone know??
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2007 9:16 am    

Trivia, Part Two:

Yes, Bob Eubanks had a bidness relationship with Hag in the late 60's, and also owned a C&W nightclub in the San Fernando Valley (LA) around 69-71, or thereabouts.

Several Hollywood personalities cut *country* songs at that time, besides Winkster. Robert Mitchum cut "Little Old Wine Drinker Me," (a parody of the Italian Swiss Colony wine advertising slogan ) as well as the bigger hit "Tombstone Every Mile"; Dean Martin cut "Houston." I'm sure there were some others.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2007 11:48 am    

May be wrong,seems I remember Wink promoting some country touring acts at one time.Maybe some of you could shed some light on this.
Marlin Smoot

Kansas
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2007 4:41 pm    

Tex Ritter also had a (hit?) song played on country radio called "Deck of Cards"
Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2007 5:24 pm     deejays, etc

Los Angeles deejays had a habit of switching between rock and roll and country stations, promotions and even recording careers.

Wink did okay with the single that started this topic, he even had an LP built around it. I saw a copy of the album for about $30 the other day, went for Rick Nelson Live At The Troubador instead, same bucks, better choice.
I'd buy the album in other circumstances, I collect that sort of thing.

Herbster, you're spot on with those celeb country listings.
I might add to the celebrity country list, Jack Palance's excellent 'Palance' Reprise LP from 1970, reissued by Water Music in New York. Came out in the same batch as Neil Young's After The Goldrush!

I nearly forgot deejay Larry Scott, who cut a single for Bakersfield International in 1967, the same label as the Gosdin Brothers before they moved on to Capitol.
Gary Atkinson

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2007 11:12 pm    

Does anybody remember Audie Murphy the actor and war hero?
He wrote a couple of good country songs. One was "Shutters and Boards" and the other was " The wind always blows in Chicago" I remember Roy Clark doing them on the Hee-Haw.
Andy Greatrix

Edmonton Alberta
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2007 12:54 am    

I thought "Tombstone Every Mile" was Dick Curless.
Robert Mitchem sang "Thunder Road".
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2007 6:18 am     Yes!

Since Wink's released about 50 (mostly country) singles, and a couple of albums, I think we could safely say that, at one time, he was a "serious" artist. 'Course, they got very little airplay. Being "serious" and being "successful" in music are two different things. Anyway, since he's made many millions as a game-show host, we could probably classify his music career as just a hobby.
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2007 8:57 am    

Andy G.
You are correct. My bad. Memory failure. 404 Page not found.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2007 10:54 am    

Bob Eubanks owned a Talent promoting agency called "Celebrety Concepts" which booked among others Barbara Mandrell and for a while The "Hag". He also had John Schieder (spelling ?)who had several Country releases. Bob was also highly into the Marshall Arts.
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2007 2:25 pm    

IMO John Snieder[spelling ?] had a great voice[much better than most of the &*%$ today]Can't remember the name of the tune,it's been years ago,but the band I was playing in at the time did a beautiful ballad of his I think was in the top ten at the time.He had the talent to have been a top country star.Guess his music took a back seat to his acting career.
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2007 5:52 am    

John Schnieder Song Tittle. "Whats a memory like you,doing in a place like this" He had a run of three -four top tens. Then stopped recording.
Steve Pacholl

Minneapolis
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2007 6:38 am    

A while back I read a Lefty Frizzell biography and quite a bit was said about Bob Eubanks' involvement with the promotion of country music and the business of Lefty in the final years.
Dean Dobbins

Rome, Ilinois, U.S.A. * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2007 6:58 am    

Bob Eubanks did the "color" comentary on a televised Championship Rodeo, once. I remember thinking "what the Hell does Eubanks know about a rodeo"? It turned out he knew quite a bit, for at one time, he was a Team-Ropeing champion!