| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Shipping?
Dan Haas

Rootstown, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2007 8:28 am    

What is the best method for shipping a steel in the U.S. ?

UPS, FedEx .... And also packaging.

Thank for your help Smile

Sorry If this shouldn't of been posted here Crying or Very sad

where the buffalo (used to) roam AND the Mojave
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2007 9:50 am    

Dan;

BAX Global is great Very Happy

Hey, Rootstown, Ohio - home of Kline Steel Guitars Cool
Michael Hardee

Post  Posted 31 Jan 2007 10:21 am    

I like using Greyhound. Wrap the case in cardboard, leave the handle exposed. If you get the steel on a direct bus to your shipping location, it will only be handled by a few people. Never had a problem.
Bryan Knox

Gardendale, Alabama...Ya'll come
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2007 11:08 am    

Fellow forumite Greg Cutshaw has a great webpage instructing the proper way to ship a steel.

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Shipping%20Steels/Shipping%20Steels.html

Hope this helps you.
BigB

1976 MSA D-10 8+4, Mullen D10 8+4, G&L Skyhawk, Fender '52RI Telecaster, Eastman MD 615 lefty mandolin, Fender DPC750 w/Tubefex, Custom Twin Tweed Cabs w/ Peavey 1504's, 70's Fender Super Reverb, Martin D28-L.
Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2007 12:58 pm    

Divine intervention is no help if UPS damages your shipment. UPS is why they added all those symbols above the numbers on a keyboard. UPS will dodge, feint, run, hide, deny and perpetrate every ridiculous strategy to avoid paying off on a righteous claim. No coincidence to me that UPS is "brown".

I agree about Greyhound, but my experience is that they'll only insure up to $300.
Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2007 1:28 pm    

Fedex ground is my method of choice, though they have lost a couple of items. UPS has broken $8000 worth of vintage gear that I shipped with them and I have seen less than 25% of that money back.
David Coplin

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2007 1:44 pm    

Dan, I agree with Greg. Bax Global is a great way to ship. I have used them a several times with no problems,( shipped a Fender 1000 last year to South Africa) They are price competitive and do a great job. By all means do not use UPS !
Dave
Curt Langston

Post  Posted 31 Jan 2007 2:08 pm    

I have had very good experiences with DHL. They are really trying hard to satisfy in the ground service. Seems to be faster and cheaper. No banged up boxes, so far.
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2007 3:27 pm    

I like Greyhound also,Had trouble one time,Years ago ordered an LDG from Charlie Norris in Texas,Had him ship it to Columbus Georgia,which is about ten minutes from where I live in Ala,It was two days late because it went to Columbus Ohio first.But over all I like shipping Greyhound best.
Steven Reynolds

New York, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2007 7:06 am     Pack carefully

I have used all the major carriers without a problem. Packing carefully is the key. Be sure that the guitar is packed well in the case and does not move. Then pack the case so it is well protected in the box. Newspaper will ad weight and increase the cost of shipping so bubble wrap and/or peanuts work best. Be sure the case does not move in the box. If it is small and light USPS is a good option, but I usually use Fed Ex ground as they are reasonablly priced.
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2007 7:18 am    

Steve R. has the right idea. It is all in the packing. If you pack the steel like it is headed to Mars then you will have just as good a chance with whoever you choose.

Having said that, my most memorable experience was getting a cheap $50 brand new 12 string guitar off Ebay that I only needed to play a show for a week. The guitar arrived in only the thin original Chinese cardboard box it was packed in from China with absolutely NO packing materials in it. Just 1/8" of cardboard and the the top, sides and back of the instrument touching it with the guitar tuned up to pitch! It arrived without one scratch on it---shipped DHL. Amazing.
Dan Haas

Rootstown, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2007 5:54 am    

Thank you for all your replys. Very Happy
Its a big help.

THE FORUM IS GREAT!!!! Very Happy

Albert Lea, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2007 9:05 am    

Dan,
I agree with Curt- DHL! They are VERY good. I have shipped 4 or 5 steels to John Coop this way. He uses it exclusively. They will pick up right at your door, I would check into it if I were you. Very reasonable also.
Neil
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2007 9:49 am    

Pack it solid inside so that everything is snug. Reinforce the rack partition with two blocks of wood. Bubble wrap with large bubble wrap. Pack in an industrial carton. Ship Fedex or DHL. Forget UPS.
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2007 10:57 am    

One more vote for DHL. They are usually a little less expensive and I have never had any damage or delay with the things I've sent through them.

Have received things from FEDEX Ground in good shape too.

Dan
Neil Lang

Albert Lea, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2007 11:36 am    

Dan,
I forgot to mention in my last post here, I sent a Pro I to Nevada from Minnesota. It finally got there in 11 days-USPS. Sad
I wrap the steels I send in small bubble wrap when room in the case allows. Heavier guitars use two packages, one for the legs & rods. Put 2 layers of cardboard tight to the case on the outside with reinforced shipping tape, the kind with the white threading in it. Use plenty, let the handle stick through a slot on the top. Works for me.
Neil
Bill McRoberts

Janesville, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2007 12:27 pm    

I've shipped and received many vintage items over the last 12 years via UPS. Last month for example, I sent and received two vintage volume pedals from Scotty's for repairs. No damage or loss although it was packed and taped well enough to withstand a tornado.

A complete drum set (6 boxes) from my home to Austin TX.

Scotty's also shipped my Fender 1000 to me via UPS and showed up in the condition it left the store.

I've recieved pick-ups and strings form Steel Guitar Nashville numerous times via UPS.

I've shipped a pair of session 500's to my home in 1997 from the TSGA show in Dallas right from the lobby of the Harvey Hotel with a mere address tag on the handles(much to my protest). Both showed up on at my door 4 days later without a scratch.

These are just a few things out of many. Perhaps I'm lucky but, I have had nothing but good luck with UPS! Razz
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2007 9:24 pm    

Same here - hundreds of very fragile UPS shipments with *one* claim that was paid immediately.

As said earlier, most of the major carriers will do a decent job - the key is packing. I am NOT a proponent of the "handle exposed " method, which is also a sure-fire way to negate any claim due to insuficient packing (and this has been related by several UPS an FedEx management folks). the exposed handle helps the driver, but can screw up things on the conveyor, which is were most of the drop-damage happens.

Pack the steel so it will survive a 6-8 foot fall onto concrete. that's the key.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Stan Townsend

Post  Posted 19 Feb 2007 4:16 pm    

DO NOT leave the handle exposed. I had a handle sheared off on an otherwise mint 1970 Fender case due to the shipper leaving the handle out (UPS, of course). It can easily get torn off. Make a handle from nylon straps strongly secured to the box, or better yet, just pack it for war.
Ben Turner

Myrtle Beach, SC, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2007 10:03 am    

In my personal opinion all other shipping services that are not FedEx are junk. I've never had a problem with FedEx. I've shipped tons of amplifiers, guitars, and other various items. mostly in the 60-70lb range, and never any problems. of course I suppose other people that use other services can probably say the same thing, you can always get lucky I suppose! On the other hand.. I've had packages arrive to me from UPS/USPS completely ripped open, missing some of their contents, the box completely damaged. As far as DHL/BAX/Other, I've checked rates and compared rates on things that I already shipped and know how much they charged me and FedEx seems to always be cheaper. The only drawback on FedEx is their KINKOS locations, Some of the sorriest service I've ever had. I have made several phone calls to FedEx reporting the employees at their Kinkos locations, probably a waste of breath.
Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2007 10:49 pm    

The last one I shipped with UPS.It went off the screen for 5 days. Turns out it was shipped from NC to Cal. via rail.The train was carrying mostly concrete blocks and bull dozer parts.It made it just fine.However, next one. I think I'll put it in a case. Very Happy

A true story. Except I do pack very good.........bb
Marty Smith

California
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2007 5:51 pm    

Its all in the packing!!! I hate going to fedex it takes all day and they wont put more than $100 insurance if its any kind of guitar. They wont take it if its too big or heavy. I go to the ups hub and they take it without whining about anything and insure it as much as I say.I had 1 dhl delevery and the driver droped the steel on the porch and took off. I can pack anything and send it thru any carrier and it will be fine. Its all those cheap and lazy people that dont know how to pack a steel ,then get upset when it comes back broken!!
Gary Lynch

Creston, California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2007 6:07 pm    

I agree about people not packaging the steel correctly.

The small print on the FEDEX paperwork states they will not insure your musical instrument.

UPS usually states the sender did not pack it correctly and will not pay until you spend about 6 months on the phone and writing letters.

If you have it packed by a shipping service they usually will guarantee it's safe arrival. Then it's their hassle and not yours.

Anyone that has had a better experience is lucky if their item was damaged.

Thank goodness most arrive in good condition if you double boxed with A LOT of bubble wrap.

Remember, the sender/seller is responsible for the instrument to arrive as stated when you sold it. The sender eats it if something happens and NOT THE BUYER. Some sellers don't GET IT when/if it goes bad during shipping.
Tim Marcus

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2007 6:22 pm    

I just shipped out my BMI - we'll see how it fares. I think its gonna do really well - here is what I did:

made a huge box out of 2 boxes.

bubble wrapped the case of the steel with abnormally large bubble wrap that I found.

put that into the box with a ton of peanuts.

taped the box up.

made additional "corners" basically edge reinforcement from other cardboard pieces.

wrapped the whole thing in plastic.

then put on 4 vinyl bands.

its really worth the extra effort I think - took me about an hour to get it packaged like that! But I want the thing to get there in the best shape it can. A heavy item like a pedal steel really needs to be banded - I think they sell that stuff at Staples or Officemax or something. Same with the plastic wrap. Wish I took pictures, but you get the idea.
Gary Lynch

Creston, California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2007 7:21 pm    

That's the way. The extra corners and also super end padding saves your bacon.