| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Good steels for Pinky volume swells
Steve Pierce

San Rafael, California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2006 9:07 pm    

Anybody have a steel on which they employ the volume knob for effect? I think it was called "violining" in a post not too long ago.

I've had my eye on the Supro Comets that have been on Ebay a lot recently. The knobs seem to be very accessible.

Any coments? On both of the steels I own the knobs are not in a convenient position.

Do you use it like a volume pedal where you sort of keep it at halfway and then work from there? Or, do you use a full clockwise turn?

Also, does it work better if the potentiameter is of a particular resistance.

Thanks Steve

------------------
Steve Pierce
John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2006 10:32 pm    

If your guitar has the volume & tone Controls both on the far side of the strings, you would want the volume~control closest to your picking~hand, if you want to use it as a swell. I think usually it is te Tone~Control which is closest and you might want to reverse their positions. Usually the Tone was closer, because; it was used as a Wah~Wah Effect! I would set the volume~control full~cw for lead-volume, so that you can back off the volume when playing background-fill. Then when you take the lead, all you have to do is flip the control to full~cw position, without fear of being too loud!

------------------
“Big John”
a.k.a. {Keoni Nui}
Current Equipment
Dave Zielinski

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2006 4:48 pm    

I use a Fender Double 8, you know, the ones with the trapezoid pickups. The volume and tone in either location is very usable for each effect. at least for playing on the closer neck.

the fender champion 6 stringers have knobs in a nice place too.

However.....I've owned and played alot of different kinds of steels, and with a little time and practice getting comfortable, you can make em all work.
Steve Pierce

San Rafael, California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2006 6:25 pm    

Thanks for the input.

My Oahu has the volume behind the pickup and my Stringmaster has the controls out of the way too. I have to move my right hand away from the picking position to use them.

I guess what this boils down to is that I've found an excuse to get another steel!

------------------
Steve Pierce
HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2006 6:42 pm    

I'll second the Fender champion and add the Fender Deluxe (single neck Stringmaster)