| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mesa Show GREAT!
Doug Childress

Orange, Texas
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2007 10:17 am    

Well it's over and may I say what a great show. Congratulations to Billy Easton and gang for putting together a great lineup of players. We saw several new faces for the first time on any show. Doug Livingston was a first time player from California and he just played so well. Hopefully this is not the last time he makes the trip to the SWSGA. Russ Hicks, Doug Jernigan, Randy Beavers, Tommy Dodd, Bobby Black, Terry Bethel, David Wright, Jim Loessburg, Herb Steiner, and the young players Austin Stewart, Jonathan Candler were all magnificent. I have to mention Chuck Back; not only does he play steel guitar so well, he sings great, and his six string guitar work on several sets was DYNOMITE!! I have to give special recognition to Al Vescovo....this guy can play. He also did great work on the six string acoustic electric as part of Doug Jernigan's set. Long live the SWSGA. Put it on your calendar for next year.
Chuck S. Lettes

Denver, Colorado
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2007 2:14 pm    

Doug, I agree. The SWSGA puts on a great show, and it keeps on getting better. I just got back to Denver (and more snow)a few hours ago, and I'm still hearing the twang of steel guitar. It's always a blast listening to the great music and getting to hang out with friends. I look forward to next year. Thank you Billy, Joe and all of the people who helped put on this year's convention.
Chuck
Doug Childress

Orange, Texas
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2007 3:37 pm    

Chuck, I apologize for not mentioning your set. Your playing is always so good. I think the frypan is your instrument. You always bring diversity to the shows and your touch and tone is impecable.

Last edited by Doug Childress on 29 Jan 2007 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Hap Young

Yuma, AZ, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2007 7:21 am     Pictures

Does anyone have some picts of the show?
Doug Childress

Orange, Texas
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2007 7:22 am    

The sound at this year's show was very good with separate mix crews for the stage and the audience. The new video screen was a neat addition so that the feet and hands of the players could be viewed. This it seems is becoming the norm with the bigger shows. It was good to see Scotty playing and supporting the organization. He did some beautiful music on his new "Scotty" frypan. This one is all wood (hard maple).
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2007 8:37 am     Thank you SWSGA

I had a great time. The sound was superb. I think that my little 40 watt Boogie was too loud for the room, though. Embarassed I didn't realize that until I heard Dan Tyack play through it.

After my set, the SWSGA presented me with an award commemorating the 10th anniversary of the Steel Guitar Forum. It caught me totally by surprise, and it was pretty emotional for me.

Thank you, SWSGA, for one of the most memorable moments of my life. Once again I'm at a loss for words.

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2007 8:42 am    

What a wonderful weekend. 3 days of non stop music played by one steel guitarist after anther.

Thank you Billy Easton and Joe Naylor and everybody in the SWSGA for putting on such a great show.
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2007 9:03 am    

Thank you Billy E and Joe N and everyone for all your hard work, but especially for the nice friendly vibe of the whole show. I had a great time except of course for the panic of playing in front of all those steel players.
Curt Shoemaker

Ionia, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2007 11:17 am    

As Terry Bethel often say's "Everyone who played is my favorite steel player". Thanks to Billy, the staff and the back-up band. A great job from all of you. One Highlight for me was to hear a great Icon in the steel guitar world "Norm Hamlett". WOW! talk about history and fine playing. It was great to be a small part of this wonderful show. Just 361 days left until the next one!!!
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2007 11:54 am    

This was the most fun that I've had since I pulled the wings of off a fly when I was 10 years old.I learned so much this past weekend.I got to Play with Ernest,and Tyack...the first time in 25 years that we've all played together,what a Blast!Herb Steiner,he's been carrying me longer than my Mom did.Made a bunch of new friends.Met Chuck Back,And Joe Naylor finally!they built my Desert Rose guitar,and they are almost as twisted as me... Almost! The house band earned the purple heart,not only do they know every song ever written they played non stop for three days,John Harris?"guitar player"thanks for letting me play out your rig,you are a great player ,Al Bruno I haven't seen in 25 years,he saved me from starving when I moved to L.A.David Wright..Stone Cold Steve Austin meets Sam Kennison..Plays like Superman,This guy needs his own TV show,he's my new idol,goodbye Mickey Mantle.John Macy,Jim Palenscar,John McClung,Mike Perlowin,Randy,and Jonathon Chandler,Austin,Doug Jernigan,Randy Beavers,Jerry Fessenden,Chuck Lettes,Terry Bethel,Bobby Black,and everyone else that I met it was a pleasure,And my dear friend Dan Tyack thanks for letting me leave a ring around your show.Billy Easton...you and your crew,MC's sound,and light people,and the Ladies in the lobby I applaud you all and look forward to next year.I took about 600 photos and have a lot of editing to do in the next few days,I would be glad to send Cd's to anyone who wants one..just email me an address to send it to me,no money..my treat,Stu
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 29 Jan 2007 12:17 pm    

Whooops! I forgot Mark Giles..The coolest!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2007 1:12 pm    

Yes! It was a blast and I thank the organizers for once again inviting me to be a part of this great show. Highlights for me this year were hearing Earnest Bovine play a full set including two amazing classical pieces, hearing Austin and Jonathan continue to develop tremendous abilities on steel, Dan Tyack's hot set (with terrific guitar-playing by Stu Shulman - btw, Stu, I've listened so far to about 1/2 of the CD you gave me; great stuff!), all the other superb players and, of course, hangin' with the gang. As a friend of mine likes to say, "It's the most fun I know how to have with my clothes on." Smile

Thanks SWSGA!!!
David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2007 1:21 pm    

To All the South~West folks that worked so hard to put this show on......Thank ~You ... from Cindy & I and M.S.A. we had a GREAT time!.. Razz and can't wait till next year !!!.. it was good to see some new faces on the show this year... they all brought something new to listen
to.. Doug Livingston was great... he is truly a musical great..and Dan Tyacks great Playing.!!!!!!!! and my buddy and now Look a like Norm Hamlett...)) could he be my Daddy??? he kept asking me... Who's your Daddy!!
and seeing Austin and Jonathan playing together...
and thanks Stu for all the kind words!!!! I think
One more thing... the sound was GREAT this year.... best it's ever been !!! thanks to John and all who helped him !!!!!!!!!!

]
Paul Polish

Concord,NC,Usa
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2007 3:35 pm    

Very Happy Hello from Kemp Texas, Dee and I made it [almost]safely home around 4 pm today,Monday. Just wanted to jump in here and say Thank You to ALL of the members of the SWSGA for having us do our little part for your show. I would love to start naming names ,BUT,I would forget someone and then be mad at my self. Safer to just say that we had a great time and already planning the NEXT trip, if you'll have us.
I have to say it was GREAT ,AGAIN,to be able to work with such FINE players... WOW!!! Too much talent to comprehend?
Hope I didn't let anyone down.
Love all of you, and, hopefully see a bunch of you in Dallas.
Paul and Dee
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2007 6:55 pm    

This was probably one of the best shows I've ever been too (and I'm usually pretty critical). The sound was great, the video was great, the weather was perfect: in fact, I can't think of anything bad to say, except it ended too soon. But it probably wasn't soon enough for Billy and all the rest of the SWSGA guys. Thanks for all your hard work.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.
Jerry Lee Newberry

Prim, AR USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2007 7:07 pm    

Well we made it home today about 4pm. It was a long trip, but we all had fun. Thanks to Billy and Joe for having us. To all the club members we say Thanks. It was a very good show. The sound and the backup band was GREAT!!!!!!!!. Hope to see most of you in Dallas.

Donna
George Duncan Sypert

Colo Spgs, Co, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2007 7:11 pm    

Just a word of thanks to all the folks at the Mesa Show for all the hard work and a great show. Special thanks to Billy Easton for inviting me to play. It was a great thrill for me. Hope to see everyone in Dallas. Very Happy George
Thom Beeman

California, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2007 8:19 pm    

To all envolved with putting this show together and keeping it running soooooo smooth all week-end, great work and looking forward to next year.
Darrel Muzney

South Sioux City, Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2007 9:25 pm     SWSGA Mesa

My wife and I missed the show due to the weather. We were in Alpine TX on the 22 & 23. We had business in Las Cruses and Silver City NM on our way to Messa. They closed the I-10 into EL PASO and so we had to cancel our business appointments so we turned around and headed home. It sounds like we missed a great show. We have it marked on our calender for next year.

Later Darrel
Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 29 Jan 2007 11:11 pm    

I forgot Jim Cohen...This guy swings hard,what a touch,and Al Vescovo,a true master,and funny!
Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2007 1:44 am    

I could kick myself for not going to the Mesa show - BUT, I had foot surgery and it would probably hurt. Wink That said, Tommy said I missed a GREAT show - (and an awesome set by my favorite, Dan Tyack.) Crying or Very sad
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com
Bob Case

Grand Junction, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2007 6:29 am    

Thanks to everyone at the SWSGA for three days of great music and sunshine. Hope to see you all in Dallas.
Dean Batye

California, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2007 8:13 am    

Hey Donna, Tommy gave me the big hug you sent ,was allright but not as good from you in person,missed you at the show.
Tommy played red hot on his set as always. Hope to see you
all in Dallas, get that toe well. Your friend .
Dean Batye
Concord, Ca.
John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2007 8:40 am    

Pretty much ditto to everything said. My favorite sets were Doug Livingston, Dan Tyack and Bobby Black--but everyone was great. Wonder how many tortillas I consumed over 4 days??? Smile
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2007 8:55 am    

Yes! A great show! My Dad and I had a great time, heard some great playing, and met alot of cool players and steel fans.
Good to see so many familiar faces from the convention scene, too.
Here's to hoping this show continues to grow and thrive!
'Hat's off to all involved with putting on this event.
Thanks!
Pete and Jerry Burak