| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic

Vintage vs. Modern Pickups
I prefer vintage pickups (Rickenbacker, Fender, Supro, etc.)
62%
 62%  [ 22 ]
I prefer modern pickups (George L, etc.)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I like both vintage and modern pickups.
37%
 37%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 35

Author Topic:  Vintage vs. Modern Pickup Poll
Michael Papenburg

Oakland, CA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2007 7:45 am    

I did a lot of research over the past year or so while I was trying to decide which 8 string lap steel to buy. While I love vintage instruments, I really wanted a "new" instrument custom made for me. I noticed, though, that many modern lap steel companies use very modern pickups (George L, etc.). While they certainly can sound great, I feel that they have a very different tone than the pickups in vintage instruments and are much more like a PSG. The day that I came across the Lap King Rodeo 8 with a Gibson Grand Console style pickup I knew it was the instrument for me.

This made me wonder how all of you feel about vintage style pickups (including reproductions) vs. modern pickups like George L which seem to have a more "neutral" tone. As a long time guitarist, I've learned that pickups and scale length greatly effect the voice of an instrument. What do you prefer?

Last edited by Michael Papenburg on 25 Jan 2007 8:56 am; edited 2 times in total
Randy Reeves

LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2007 8:44 am    

a lot of research went into the newer pickups. they are closely styled aftere the vintage ones in many cases.

I have an old 1940 lap steel. the pickup didnt function well because a wind had broke. I sent it to Lindy Fralin and he rewound it to specs and then some. the pickup is my favorite now. so I voted new and old.
Gary Lynch

Creston, California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2007 8:44 am    

I like the vintage sound of my Rickenbacker horseshoe pickups. Others like the old Fender sound. With today's understanding of how the sound is produced, and access to many types of materials, it seems likely a talented non pedal steel guitar pickup builder like Rick Aiello, could build a new pickup that sounded identical to any vintage lap steel pickup. So in a sense the 'sound' we prefer is not lost to time, but can be achieved if you either have a builder like Rick make one or have the specs and have another builder reproduce that sound you are after.

It is easy to buy the 'newer' sounds as you mentioned. And now it is possible to also buy/build the 'older' sounds/tones many prefer. The vintage style capacitors; foil (tin/silver/copper) paper in oil are also still available on many sites.
Michael Papenburg

Oakland, CA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2007 8:53 am    

Just to clarify, I agree that modern pickup manufacturers can come really close to the tone of vintage pickups. My Lap King will have a Lollar in it. What I'm talking about is George L style pickups which sound more like a PSG vs. vintage "style" pickups - including modern reproductions.
Peter Jacobs

Northern Virginia
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2007 9:50 am    

I just replaced a Bill Lawrence l250XL, a high-output Strat-size pickup, with a Vintage Vibe blade polepiece single coil, sort of a new take on the Charlie Christian style pickup, but with it's own sound.

The BL was, to me, very modern sounding -- almost sterile. It was powerful and cut through the mix well, but it had way too much output, so everything was overdriven and a little harsh. I could never get any "soul" out of it. This is strictly my taste and my ears, so others may like this pickup.

The Vintage Vibe pickup is the best of both worlds - new design, vintage styling. The sound is fat, full, vocal -- what I associated with lap steel, as opposed to the super-clean PSG sound.

I didn't know it before, but I guess I prefer the vintage sound.

Peter
Marty Smith

California
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2007 9:55 am     Vintage

I like old pickups even if they are rewound. I guess its the old design of a pickup that gives it that sound. I have had an old pickup rewound and it still sounds great.
Marty
Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2007 10:00 am    

I think there is a distinct difference between vintage reproductions or vitage rewinds and the pickups like George L's. I love old pickups, and I like Lollar's repro's of old pickups. I like rewound old pickups. I do not like George L pickups, or any of the pickups that are more geared toward an ultra high output sound. I dislike EMG's for the same reason. So liking Lollars and Fralins is not the same as liking new pickups; If you really dig your E-66 or PF-1 then you do.
Michael Papenburg

Oakland, CA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2007 10:22 am    

Peter & Keith's posts get to the heart of what I'm talking about. I feel that there is a huge difference between George L or EMG style pickups and their vintage or vintage inspired counterparts. I really love the sound and vibe of vintage style pickups. I personally feel that they do sound more soulful. I can easily see how someone would want a more modern, neutral tone but it's not what I'm going for. I would love it if there were more modern lap steel companies that offered a variety of pickup options.
Peter Jacobs

Northern Virginia
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2007 11:45 am    

It looks to me like form factor is an issue here -- the George L-type pickups are a certain shape that is favored by PSG makers. For Strat, Tele, Stringmaster, P-90 and humbucker pickups, there are a gazillion (roughly) replacements available. And for most of those, you can get any sound you'd want, vintage to modern.

For bluesy Americana music, a pickup that leans toward the vintage side works better to my ears. The ultra-clean, hi-fi PSG sound wouldn't have worked, just like the high output sound of the BL didn't work. I had a lot of choices for Strat-style pickups, and I believe I picked the best one for me.

Peter
Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2007 1:38 pm    

Rolling Eyes give me an old Valco strings thru over any newer pickup!
Dom
Gary Stevenson

Northern New York,USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2007 7:54 pm     Pickups

I used a P-90 humbucker on my second lap steel and I love the sound it gives. Seems like the open D just has a really nice quality to it.the sustain is great also.
Dave Zielinski

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2007 9:28 am    

Hands down Rickenbacher horseshoes. 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" , they all sound great.

I started with vintage Fenders- and now prefer Ricks.
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2007 12:13 pm    

What is played through the pickups is more important to me than the pickups themselves. A soulful lick is just that no matter what pickup you use. I have never been really saddled to any pickup variety at all. What you do with the amp and the EQ can make up for what the pickup has or does not have.

I do draw the line at what I am faced with these days in regards to the noise factor. Todays studio settings are less forgiving for noisey pickups of which the vintage variety usually fall.

Having said that, I would prefer to be armed with a guitar that has a newer modern quiet pickup with plenty of output and fidelity that I can manipulate to my needs for that moment with amp settings, EQ, effects etc.
Terry Farmer

Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2007 1:26 pm    

Variety is the spice of life! I've experienced +&- with both types.
Michael Papenburg

Oakland, CA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2007 2:50 pm    

Bill Hatcher wrote:
What is played through the pickups is more important to me than the pickups themselves. A soulful lick is just that no matter what pickup you use. I have never been really saddled to any pickup variety at all. What you do with the amp and the EQ can make up for what the pickup has or does not have.

I completely agree that the player is the biggest factor in how good something sounds. I find things like instrument, pickup, and amplifier choices interesting, though, because they show an insight into the personality of the player.

I happen to prefer vintage style pickups and have never had a problem with noise in the many sessions I have done. It sounds like your experience has been very different. I have learned, though, that there are as many paths to great tone as there are players.
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2007 3:02 pm    

Seems to me that technology once learned never goes away. That being so why would it not be possible to replicate old pickups exactly ?
Michael Papenburg

Oakland, CA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2007 3:16 pm    

Alan F. Brookes wrote:
Seems to me that technology once learned never goes away. That being so why would it not be possible to replicate old pickups exactly ?

They can definitely come very close to the tone of old pickups. This is more a discussion of the difference in tone between hi-fidelity pickups with lots of output and clarity (such as George Ls) and vintage style pickups which have a very different sound. Some people prefer the clarity, power and neutral tone of a George L. Some people like the funkier vibe of a Valco string through pickup or a Lindy Fralin reproduction. Some like both for different applications.

It could very well be that many lap steel players don't think about this sort of thing very much. That in of itself would be an interesting conclusion to this survey.
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2007 5:55 pm    

Take a listen to Jeff Au Hoy's latest contribution to the HSGA.
That to me would be the epitome of the "Signature Sound" of the Hawaiian Guitar, just helped a little along the way with a modern amp and high fidelity recording techniques.

Click Here

Steelies do it without fretting

CLICK THIS to view my tone bars and buy——>
Brad Catler

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2007 9:33 pm    

Once you roll back a bunch of the highs from the old Rickenbacher 1 1/2 horshoe pickups, there is nothing quite like that tone available in a modern pickup, and i keep going back to that sound.