| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nashville 1000 or the 112 ??
Mel Davis

Addison, Maine, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2007 7:05 am    

I am trying to decide on a nashville 1000 or a nashville 112, I like the options on the 112, headphone & CD inputs plus the weight factor. I have heard a lot of positive coments on the forum. but i also know the 1000 can do the job. any suggestions ?

Mel Davis
Don Discher

Sault Ste Marie,Ontario,Canada
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2007 7:22 am     1000 or 112

I.ve had both and you can't go wrong with either one. The 1000 is a bit lighter than the Nashville 400 but the 112 is nice and light and when it's run through the mixer will suffice most venues.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2007 9:22 am    

I have both. But, I haven't used the 1000 since I got the Nashville 112 two years ago. I've done road gigs and club gigs and never needed more than the 112 (and then the input gain and output volume were never over about 1/2).

If you need it to play in a "loud" band then go for the 1000. Otherwise the 112 will probably more than suffice.
Leroy Golden

Muskegon, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2007 11:59 am    

I play in a loud band, and I haven't played with my Nashville 400 since I got my 112, we just run it through the PA for large venues, but for most gigs we run straight 112 and it's plenty loud. I even like the tone of the 112 better! Cool
Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2007 1:21 pm    

I have both a Nashville 1000 + a pair of 112's and find that I always grab one or both of the 112's when I load up for a gig. I really like using both 112's even if I could get by with one volume wise, but being able to have them split about 4 feet apart and angled slightly is my favorite set up these days.
Of course all my Nashville amps have Knob-Guards installed to keep the knobs and pot shafts protected.
Go to www.jimeatonmusic.com for info and photo's of the Knob-Guard.
JE:-)>
MSA Legend SD12 5/5 -06'
Mullen S-12 4/5 - 1986
Nashville 112 x2 W/Knob Guards - Don't leave home with out one!
Walker SS rack system - 12"BW's
Quilter Steelaire Combo
Mel Davis

Addison, Maine, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2007 2:30 pm    

Thanks a lot for all those reply's i appreciate it, since all this equip. is quite expensive its good to hear fellow steel player's advice. it really helps me make a decision, and so far all the votes are for the 112. also if i get the112, what would be good basic tone settings? I know each place you play is a little differant.

Thanks
Mel
Sonny Priddy

Elizabethtown, Kentucky, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2007 8:16 pm    

I Had A 1000 Now Have Two 112's I'll Take The 112's SONNY.
Jim Ives

Los Angeles, California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2007 10:56 am    

I currently play through both. The 1000 is my favourite amp but it is heavy, so I gig with the 112. The 1000 has a better low-end than the 112, but I have never felt the 112 was lacking. For transport, the 112 is too low to put wheels on it, so it has to be carried. The 1000 I have has wheels.

Buy one with a cover, because Peavey has stopped making them. It is totally stupid that they did that; Mike Brown has never responded appropriately to my questioning why.
-Jim
KENNY KRUPNICK

Columbus, Ohio
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2007 2:21 pm    

Two Nashville 112's. Cool Very Happy
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2007 3:17 pm    

I prefer the Nashville 1000 -- I play with fairly loud bands a lot and just prefer the big fat 15" speaker and the extra power the 1k has.
I also use a rack system with the DPC750 - which also has power to burn.

A Nashville 112 just isn't up to what I need !
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2007 1:32 pm    

loud is very subjective.

and

Loud..according to who ?

Playing in a loud band with the amp going thru the system is not the same as playing in a loud band without a MIC on the amp.

The 1000 is the premier Steel amp for full in your face power and clean bottom end.

the 112 IS NOT the premier amp for full in your face power. It is not intended to be. It's not even on the list for full in your face clean power such as the Session 500, Session 400, Nashville 400 and Nashville 1000, totally different amps.

If an amp sounds loud behind the player it may very well be, but that does not mean it is projecting 50 feet out past the player.

They are both very fine amps and serve different purposes. The 1000 can cover any setting you throw at it, I'm thinking the smaller 112 may not...

Once in Saluda, although I was playing thru my N400..the guy in the first row yelled at me for being too loud, the guy in the middle row said it was just right, the guy in the back row told me to turn it up ...

there ya have it 3 versions of loud all at the same time with no changes to the volume knob.
Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2007 2:27 pm    

I used to tote those big amps, but that's out of the question now. 2 NV112s with a Boss RV-5 pedal does the trick just fine . .
Ernest Cawby

Lake City, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2007 7:10 pm     NV 112

I have had more compliments about how good the rig sounds since Going back to the 112, a man came up to me at saluda and asked how I got such a great sound,nv 112, DD3 little reverb, volume set at 1 1/2, covered the building, carter D10, Hilton, DD3, NV 112, Mids all the way down Lows all up all others set close to 12:00 or pluss alittle to cover different room structure.
Just buy a carter and you are there.

ernie

ernie
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2007 3:33 am    

Consider the popularity of the NV112. At our last club jam all the steelers (Incuding Ernie), except one, were using Nashville 112 amps. The one that wasn't was using a rack with a Profex II and a Peavey DPC 750 power amp.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2007 4:22 am    

guys, the 112 is a fine amp, I am not dissing it, but we have these discussions over and over again.

If the N112 works for you thats great ..it is in a fact a wonderfull amp for many situations.

But do not try to tell someone who is asking a legitimate question that it is comparable to any of the big brother amps, it is NOT, and it is not intended to be in the same catagory.

300 watts is not the same as 80 watts no matter how you slice it up.

Last time I looked, at St Louis, there were N1000's on the big stage in the big room, The N112's were in the Peavey room and the vendor rooms as well.

Again, describing LOUD is subjective...

When someone asks me the difference between the two amps I tell them 220 watts , about 15 pounds and about $250.

Because that IS the difference.
Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2007 4:36 am    

Tony is right, but how many of us are playing in a room as large as that one in St. Louis.

Since I bought my NV112 two years ago I've since sold my NV1000, but kept my NV400 as a spare and sometimes use it for my bass amp.
My advice is save your back and buy the NV112 you won't regret it Exclamation
Don
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2007 5:00 am    

Tony, you must play in a band that's very loud to need that much power.

I haven't done any job, in the last two years, (actually in the last 10 years) that would require a high power amp - and that's using the amp only not micing it into a PA. I may be in the minority, but that's the fact.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2007 5:42 am    

Jack, no, it is not a very loud but it is louder than others. We are a driving 6 piece band and we play some pretty big rooms.

Although we generally do not play many Seniors dances , when we do , we do not play all that loud, but when we need to crank it up we do....

Playing in a larger band which does play a bit louder than many bands does require GEAR to match the venue. Our band is very Tele' driven, nothing held back here....very assertive....A Tele picker that plays all the right parts to pretty much all the tunes with drive , really brings the best out of the other players as well....we must rise to the occassion.

The only comment I make about the N112's or any smaller amp is that the player MUST know what venues he or she is going to be playing.

Yes, I have heard countless comments that if I need to play that loud then the band is too loud, maybe it is..But so far any player that has come to see us play never left telling me we were too loud, but they did tell us that Matt ( Tele ) and I worked really well together.

My wife calls us assertive but not overly loud.

Keep in mind, a very strong amp is also very good at maintaining sustained chords at a good clip as well.

It's not only about volume.

When someone is asking for comments on the differences between the two amps , we should tell them the differences.
which are, 220 watts, about $250, and about 15 pounds.

A Player playing Seniors dances may never need a larger amp so they SHOULD use the smaller amp. A Player playing larger rooms or CLUBS with a more assertive audiences may infact need the larger amp. Thats all I'm saying.

But, I have always wondered why most N112 users are going to two of them ..Stereo ? Volume, stage Presence ?

t
Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2007 7:33 am    

I agree with Tony on the power issue. There's nothing like a few tons of stomping, hollering people on a dance floor to make your amp puny. Especially when the bandstand is only elevated a foot off the dance floor. But if you need two NV-112s then you get two. I had a 210 watt Session 400 Limited and even with the mod kit it always sounded like cardboard to me. No doubt the original Session 400 or the 400 LTD is a better sounding amp but you can't buy those new anymore and I'd hesitate to lay out $400-$500 on a 25 or 30 year old amp that probably needs at least a cap job. Based on a cross-section of comments on the forum there seems to be a hung jury on the Nashville 1000 tonewise.
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2007 7:54 am    

The NV112 and NV1000 have the identical preamp in them. In fact, the preamp inside the NV112 is labeled "Nashville 1000". Clearly the differences are in the power amps and the cab/speaker factor. I've found that the bipolar amp in the NV112 has a sweeter tone than the 1000's switching (class-D) amp. But that 1000 has a lot of power and gets real big sounding, just not real sweet on the top and in the mids.

'82 Emmons S-10 push/pull, Revelation Tube Preamp, Furlong SPLIT powered speaker cab, V8 Octal Tube Preamp, Ganz Straight Ahead power amp - JBL D130
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2007 9:38 am     amps

Well, for me, I've tried just about all of the steel amps at one or another. With me it depends on where I'm playing. I prefer the 15" speaker over the 12". I also prefer 300 watts over 80. I play a good bit of C6th and the low end, especially when I drop the low C(#10) to a A, I need the amp to handle the drop. The 112's I've had just wouldn't do it. The 112 is a fine amp when used with just E9th for me. Maybe it's just me but the FSK & NV-1000 I have are much more amp than the 112. I guess it's like a hot 4 cylinder vs a V-8.
Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2007 2:45 pm    

I have been using my first year Session 400/JBL since it was new over 30 years.. never needed another amp, never turned it up past 3. It is an incredible steel amp.
The band I am playing with now is, to quote Tony P, "assertive"... well maybe we are loud.. but we play honky tonks not senior centers, we play whats on the charts today , not the old timey C&W .. I put a mic on it and it's fine, but I want a smaller lighter amp to haul.. as long as it sounds good to me on stage ,, then I will let the DI line carry it thru the house.
I use a mixer at home to run my ipod or CD into the amp and a headphone amp at nite to practice. I was going to get a new mixer but I decided to order a 112 since it has a headphone out, a Direct Line out, and a aux in.. i figure i save $$ and space.
After I get it dialed in .. I will post my impressions .
Rittenberry SD10 , Derby D-10, Quilter TT12, Peavey Session 400 w/ JBL, NV112, Fender Blues Jr. , 1974 Dobro 60N squareneck, Rickenbacher NS lapsteel, 1973 Telecaster Thinline, 1979 blonde/black Frankenstrat
Currently picking with
Mason Dixon Band masondixonband.net
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2007 3:52 pm    

I agree with Billy ..NV1000 is the best option .....if I'm playing a smaller venue with a lower volume level ---- I have discovered that the amp has a VOLUME knob !!! If you play any C6th your going to find the N112 a little wanting when you need to crank the levels up a bit. The Nashville 1000 is the most versatile steel amp available on the market currently IMHO.
John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2007 11:19 am    

I've played in many different sized venues, from small rooms ( 50 - 100 people) to large rooms ( up to 1,500 people ) and never had a problem with my Nash 400 and or 1000. Lately I use both with my ProFex 2. Outdoor stages usually get miked through a house PA, so I'm not concerned there. I've personally never tried a PV 112, so, I guess you could say that, my subjectiveness is a little one sided. But, 2 yrs. ago, I had the pleasure of hearing Hal Rugg play at the "Hidden Valley Ranch", in Arizona. He was playing with a very good local band and the hall was on the larger size, maybe 500 people. When we entered from the back of the room, he sounded great, but, as I got closer to the stage, his steel kept distorting and was overdriven. He was using 2 PV 112's. I mentioned it to him and he said that he had to keep up with the stage volume, which was on the "assertive" side. That's the way the band played. Now, I'm not knocking the 112, but, there is a place for an amp to be used and a time to leave it home and take some bigger guns to match the other ones on stage. We all have our own preferences and this is just one opinion, based upon my observation.
Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2007 2:38 am    

I ordered it Tuesday, got a darn good deal from Bobbe, it showed up at 4pm Thursday. I had a gig Thusday nite so I set it up on top of my JBL/Session400 at home and dialed in settings I got from a couple trusty sources and did a quick A/B comparison.
At home with a few small tweaks, it sounded very good, not at warm as the S-400, but clean, clear and way more than just acceptible. I went to the gig, a little concerned about it's ability to cut it with a Chicago Blues combo w/ drums, bass, guitars and a small vocal PA in a small club.
I set it on the floor to my left (I dont like to use a stand or have it directly behind me because it seems I am never loud enough to blend properly in that configuration)and the bass rig to my right. We play on the carpeted floor with no stage.
Aside from turning it up a notch once, I did not touch it all night. I used a delay/reverb efx that I left very wet, much more repeat than usual and kept the amp reverb almost off.
The club got crowded, the band played very hot from the first tune and we had a few people sit in. We played everything from blues to a little funk with 3 drummers, 5 different guitar pickers, 3 bass players, and 6 singers.
I have only good things to say so far.. it sounded great, had no problem cutting through. The guitar players all noticed it was a little brighter than usual and really dug the sound. They were using a re issue Fender Deluxe and an original 49 Bassman. The blend was awesome.
The crowd comments were all positive, most had never seen a steel before in a blues situation and were suitably impressed.
Next week I will use it with the other band, the big PA and the direct line out where it becomes a stage monitor for me and the band. That will be the main test.
Yesterday I set up and tried the CD/I-POD input and the headphone jack.. great extras for practicing and they worked perfectly.
So far it is all good.. great sound, feature, and I lost about 20 lbs. Very Happy
Rittenberry SD10 , Derby D-10, Quilter TT12, Peavey Session 400 w/ JBL, NV112, Fender Blues Jr. , 1974 Dobro 60N squareneck, Rickenbacher NS lapsteel, 1973 Telecaster Thinline, 1979 blonde/black Frankenstrat
Currently picking with
Mason Dixon Band masondixonband.net