| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Joe Wright
Wally Taylor

Hardin, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2007 4:06 pm    

Ok, I have been checking out nearly all the Youtubes that have been posted, and I happened onto a couple of Joe Wright videos. Wow! Is this guy something else or what? Where has he been hiding all this time? He puts the steel out front and is certainly quite a talent. Did a search on him and everyone seems to like the guy. And for a newbie like me, well, I was quite impressed by his playing and the fact that he does not have to look at the fret board and could play without even using the bar on some songs.
Anyone else besides myself think this guys is great?

Wally
Larry Strawn

Golden Valley, Arizona, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2007 4:23 pm    

Wally,
Joe Wright is a "TREMENDUS" player! Very Happy

Larry
Donny Dennis

Atlanta, Texas
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2007 4:33 pm     Joe Wright

Wally, I wholeheartedly agree that Joe Wright is a tremendous player. You might also check out Sarah Jory on YouTube. She is another tremendous player, and both Joe Wright and Sarah Jory are going to be playing in the TSGC in Dallas, in March.

I hope to see them both.

Donny
Bernie Gonyea

Sherman Tx. 75092 ,U.S.A. (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2007 4:43 pm     Joe Wright

Is Joe still affiliated with The Sierra Guitar Co. out in The State of Washington? Is it a fact that they no longer make guitars? If so, wonder what Joe is doing besides these top Steel Guitar Shows. Bernie Question
Wally Taylor

Hardin, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2007 4:51 pm     Joe Wright

Donnie, Larry,
Thanks for the reply guys! We always talk about wanting the steel to be a front instrument and this guy for sure makes that happen. Even if the audience has no idea what the steel is, they sure as the world can like what they hear!
Any idea on how good his instructional videos are? They are a little pricey, but I would pay it if I thought it would help me. And Lord knows, I need all the help I can get!!! This guy made me want to put my BMI, my D-10 ZB and my Fender all back in their cases!! No way will I ever be able to play like that!!!
He is a showman for sure and I hope to be able to catch his act of these days. Of course being originally from Tennessee, I kinda like anyone that plays Rocky Top!!

Wally
Donny Dennis

Atlanta, Texas
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2007 5:13 pm     Joe Wright

Wally, I too am a beginner, and like you need all the help I can get. I don't have any of Joe Wright's instructional videos but have seen posts on the forum from others that Joe produces good instructional videos. I have been using Jeff Newman's instructional videos, and they are very good. I currently have Jeff Newman's "Pedal Steel Guitar Techniques", and "The Right Hand Alpha". You might take a look at these, and other videos on his site -- Jeffran Music.

Donny
Jim Walker

Headland, AL
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2007 5:13 pm    

Wally, I used some of Joe's instructional material when I first started playing psg and I found it to be very helpful.

I have had the great opportunity to see Joe live and I have met him in person. Great showman, nice guy to say the least.

Bernie, As far as I know Sierra is still building steels.

Atlanta, Texas
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2007 5:19 pm     Joe Wright

Bernie, I don't know if Joe is still associated with Sierra but he does have his own music company -- Joe Wright Music, and is listed as one of the vendors for the upcoming Texas Steel Guitar Association Jamboree in Dallas, in March.

Donny
Skip T

Lubbock , Tx. U S A
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2007 5:30 pm     Joe Wright & Sierra Steels

FYI - - Sierra Steel Guitar Company is alive and well and Joe is playing a 2006 U-12. Tom Baker is waiting for your order .... www.sierrasteels.com ... Skip
Brandon Ordoyne

Needville,Texas USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2007 6:54 pm    

I am a beginner and I bought a Carter-Starter PSG and Joe Wright is instructor on the Quick Start Video. He is Amazing!
Jerry Tillman

Florida
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2007 6:58 pm    

I would like to pipe in on what a great player and person Joe is.Me and my wife got to see Joe last year in florida and also share a couple of meals and it was a very nice time.The energy he brings to the steel shows is fantastic. lakeshrk
Ernie Pollock

Mt Savage, Md USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2007 5:31 am     Still working on it!!

I am still working on some of Joes stuff he had in the old steel guitar magazine, I did get to hear him down in Jessup Md at one of the Steelin For Hearts Jams, he is a one heck of a steel player & he's nutty too!! Everyone loved him in Maryland!!

Ernie Pollock Very Happy
http://www.hereintown.net/~shobud75/stock.htm
Bill Cook

Montgomery, Alabama, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2007 5:50 am    

Joe will be performing at The ASGA Show in Birmingham, Alabama on the 19th and 20th of January. He will play both Friday and Saturday. Check the events section for information on the show.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2007 6:53 am    

Quote:
Is this guy something else or what? Where has he been hiding all this time?
Yes, he is something else, as in 'alien from another planet'-something else. And, as to where he's been hiding, he ain't been hiding; you're just new. Everybody knows Joe.
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2007 9:27 am    

At Scotty's Convention this year when Laney Hicks did her thing with all those steel players from where I was setting it looked like Joe was playing a Zumsteel with only 4 or 5 pedals. He usually is playing a Sierra with 8 on the floor. Was that his steel or a borrowed one.............JH in Va.

Sherman Tx. 75092 ,U.S.A. (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2007 12:35 pm     Joe Wright & Sierras

Laughing
Thanks, every one for your comments on Joe & the Sierra Guitar Co. I bought my S-10, about 15 or more years ago. and love it. One of the best guitars that I've played, during my 48 years of Steelin'. Would like to see Joe, in concert, some time.. Heard nothing but good about the guy..Bernie [ BING ] Laughing
Paul Norman

Washington, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2007 1:43 pm     Joe Wright Live 2003

Joe has a DVD out Joe Wright Live 2003.
You may have to ask for it, because it is not on the website.
B0B has it listed under DVD s but he is out of stock.
You can find out what it consists of.
It has 3 different steel shows and it is good.
www.pedalsteel.com
Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2007 5:53 pm    

We think Joe is so good we booked him on our Dairy State Steel Guitar Show in March.
Brad Catler

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2007 2:01 pm    

Another good video with Joe is Live in Australia with Sarah Jory.You basically get a whole set of Joe and a whole set of Sarah from the convention there. And even without any of his instructional videos, you can learn a lot about freeing up the steel from just watching him. I know i have
Bob Ritter

pacfic, wa
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2007 2:44 pm    

I have his gospel stuff and I just love it...Joe is the working mans Joe ..He bring his hard hat and his lunch bucket and comes to play.