| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Copedent on my D-10 MSA Super Sustain II
Andreas Käehne

Copenhagen, Denmark
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2007 10:09 am    

Hi guys

I'm in trouble and I was thinking that some of you steel-wizards might be able to help me.

I've had my D-10 MSA Super Sustain II for 1 1/2 year now and so far I've only concentrated on getting to now the E9th neck.

I've finally decided to get started with the C6th but the copedant on that neck seems to be(as far as I can tell) a simplified Jimmy Day:
P4 only raises one of the two a-strings etc.

My questions are:

1. Will I have to remove all the mechanics underneath, make the required modifications an thereafter reinstall it all, or is there an easier way to do it?

2. If yes, what would you recommmend me to do?

3. Does any of you know where to get those rods and clamps and various spare parts used in the MSA?

4. Which copedant would you recommend on the C6th neck?

5. What should I do to maintain my pedalsteel?

Finally, two questions concerning pickups and volume pedal:

1. I've been thinking about changing the original Super Sustain pickups but I'm a little confused as to which pickups to buy. All I know is that I'd prefer humbuckers due to less noise. I've checked out George L's on the carter site and I liked the E-66 and 10-1 which seems to be standard in the Carter steels. Any oppinions on that matter?

2. I'm also gonna buy a new volume pedal ( I currently own a ShoBud Skeleton but some of the metal broke off which means that it is no longer attachable to the steel). I've had some bad experinces with different brands - either the pot got noisy or the range of the volume pedal was too short. What do you prefer?

That's all for now folks

I'm looking forward to hear from you.

All the best,

Andreas

Last edited by Andreas Käehne on 10 Jan 2007 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2007 10:33 am    

Here's the original "standard" C6th copedent:
<center>

</center>
Today most people tune the first string to D instead of G, and most people have a lever that raises the 3rd and 7th strings C to C#.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2007 10:47 am    

Hi Bob

Thanks for your reply!

Just one thing concerning 1st string being a D instead of a G: should the D be raised a half step then, using P5?

I reckon it shouldn't.....

Andreas
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2007 5:29 pm    

Andreas Käehne wrote:
Hi Bob

Thanks for your reply!

Just one thing concerning 1st string being a D instead of a G: should the D be raised a half step then, using P5?

I reckon it shouldn't.....

Andreas

Not normally, no. Some people do it, though. It's not a standard thing.
John Poston

Albuquerque, NM, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2007 8:56 am    

Buddy Emmons raises D to D# on P8 and I've found that to be a handy change and location.
Ray Satterfield

st. augustine, fl. usa
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2007 9:41 am    

Hi Andreas, my first really good steel was also an MSA D-10. The guitar was excellent mechanically but the pickups were, IMO, not very good. I replaced the E9th neck with a Bill Lawrence, (can't remember the number), and a George L's E-66 on the C6th neck. The improvement was beyond my greatest expectations.
I now own an Emmons LeGrande III SD-10 with a stock single coil and like it very much.
I also love the Hilton volume pedal I got about 5 years ago, have never had a problem with it.
Ulf Edlund

Umeå, Sweden
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2007 2:04 pm    

Hi Andreas
I'll try to give some answers to your questions. I hardly think i,m a steel wizard, but i have done quite a bit of work on the steels i've owned.
1-2 How much work it would be of course depends on what changes you are going to make.
If it has been set up as "standard" it might not be too much work. If you decide to dig in to it i'll be happy to answer any questions that miqht come up.
3 For parts, try Wayne Link of Lincoln steels. Canada
4 I'd go for as "standard" copedent as possible
5 Maintainence. -It's an MSA, just keep it clean, change strings from time to time and enjoy it! Wink

In my MSA Classic SS i switched from E-66 to TrueTone but now i'm back with the E-66 again.
The E-66 can be a little "hollow" or "thin" sometimes, and i would like to try the BL XR-16 wich is getting a lot of praise theese days, it's told to have a fuller low- and midrange than the E-66. A matter of taste of course.

I have a Goodrish and it works for me. I also tried a Franklin and liked it a lot.

Uffe