| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Where were you 45 years ago?
ray qualls

Baxter Springs, Kansas (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2007 1:20 pm    

Camp Stanley-Korea

Steel Guitar Hall of Fame 2008
Skip Cole

North Mississippi
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2007 1:49 pm    

Southwest Dekalb HS , Decatur, Ga . Wish i had started learning to play steel back then , maybe i'd learned something by now. Confused
Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2007 2:15 pm    

Fresh out of hospital, I was born only 10 days ago! Very Happy

Kind Regards, Walter

Post  Posted 5 Jan 2007 2:31 pm    

Belated Happy Birthday Walter. Skip I wasn't out of high school to long before this picture. I was thinking " what have I got myself into being over here". Shocked
Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2007 3:13 pm     You really want to know?

At the tender age of 13 you can only imagine what I was doing, you most likely don't really want to know. Laughing
The steel guitar didn't come along for another 10 years. Surprised
ray qualls

Post  Posted 5 Jan 2007 3:24 pm    

Fred, you were probably getting a grip on yourself at 13. Embarassed Better let it go!
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2007 3:35 pm    

Jan 1962, I was in the Air Force and stationed in Taipei, Taiwan. Depending on the particular day (I didn't look it up) I could have been playing music in the band we had.

Early 1962 (I don't remember the month), we were the first American's to appear live on Taiwaneese Television. We had a Taiwaneese drummer that arranged the "cultural" appearance. At the time, the Taiwaneese were only broadcasting a couple of hours in the evening. We went on right after the evening news. I don't remember much about the band, but the singer had been a regular on the "Big D" Jamboree in Dallas and on a kids afternoon TV show. Our steel player (I was playing rhythm guitar) was "Bob" from Beaumont, TX and played a D-8 Fender that he had added a homemade pedal to.
JERRY THURMOND

sullivan mo u.s.a.
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2007 4:01 pm    

I just got out of the Navy boot camp, reported for duty in Corpus Christi Tx, Squadron Tr 30 on the 3rd of Jan 62. I was only 17 yrs old an scared,on the 4th of Jan I was with a flight crew on the Uss Lexington for two weeks training, I grew up rather fast from then on. Jerry
Lavelle Pierce

huntsvile,ar 72740
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2007 4:10 pm    

well ray i was 23 and out of armu 1958 and had a band dance club and did not have all the trouble like they do no.
Jerry Maranville

Matheson, CO USA - deceased
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2007 4:27 pm    

Going to Colorado State University and trying my best for several hours a day to learn how to play my new Fender 400.
Colm Chomicky

Kansas, (Prairie Village)
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2007 4:27 pm    

lemme think, First Grade ? Writing a thankyou note to Santee Claus.
Leland Ogle

Baxter Springs, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2007 4:35 pm    

I was in the forth grade, getting in trouble. At that age I was thinking about how much I hated piano lessons.
Lee
Greg Simmons

where the buffalo (used to) roam AND the Mojave
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2007 4:51 pm    

I was still about 7 months away Very Happy
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2007 4:52 pm    

I was 15 years old, playing sax in a rockabilly band in Oxford, Mississippi, hanging out at Blaylocks soda fountain on the Square, and going crazy over girls. Razz
Jay Yuskaitis

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2007 4:53 pm    

Nor here, nor there, just about where I am now.
All kidding aside, I was in my prime, playing just about every night of the week, believe it or not, I didn't do too bad. Back then, I was invited to every occasion on the local front.
There is no way I could keep this pace today.
WHAT A CRY BABY I'VE TURNED OUT TO BE. There
is no doubt old age has set in.
Jay Y.
Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2007 4:54 pm    

Hi Ray,

I was in the first grade getting my recess taken away for not finishing my school work. Well, now I'm on the other end of it. Wink Is it true what goes around comes around? Well, I had some pretty good teachers back then and they taught me alot about values and the right things.

Was that you in those greens? Take care and remember our steel show next June 2007.

GOD bless!

Terry Wood
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2007 5:19 pm     45 years ago

Well 45 years ago, I would've been 4 years old and then turned 5 in June of 62'. I remember Sunday night jam sessions at our house. My father played a 6 string Rickenbacker at that time and a lot of the guys were coming over then. Believe it or not, I'm still pickin' with some of those very guys, even today. I was just a kid, doing what kids do but in 69', I think it was, I knew something big had happened among the local pickers. All of the sudden, everybody started coming to our house to look at this particular steel guitar. My father had sold his D-8 Fender and bought a 66' model rosewood D-10 Emmons from the Big E. This was a big deal in Laurel, Ms. People still talk about it, even 36 years later. My father died in Dec.70'. The p/p was put in a closet for a year in the case. One of my aunts married a steel player from Houston, Texas and brought him to meet the family in Mississippi. His name is Bobby Bowman! Yep. Ole BB! He set the p/p up for me and was the first one to actually get me started playing pedal steel. Shortly after that, I met John Hughey at a Friday night Conway Twitty concern in Runnelstown, Ms. That's all it took! Thanks to BB & JH, here I am in 07' still pickin' and carrying on a tradition as a second generation steel player!
George Duncan Sypert

Colo Spgs, Co, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2007 5:41 pm    

New Port, RI freezing to death attending the Naval School of Military Justice about the 3rd day of a 5 week course. The wind coming off the ocean this time of year was a killer.
Glad to get back to San Antonio about 6 weeks later.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2007 6:26 pm    

1962... I was in the 7th grade, going to this school!
And I had no idea what a steel guitar was Laughing

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2007 6:41 pm    

Wilson Elementary School-McAllen, TX
4th Grade
Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2007 7:30 pm     Where Were you

I was here in Gainesville, Texas at the ripe old age of 23 months. I had a new brother who was 2 weeks old and I was probably helping momma change his diapers. I too did not know what a steel guitar was but time has sure brought it to my attention.
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2007 8:01 pm    

I was 11 years old in the 5th grade at Claremont Elementary School, in Claremore, Ok. Whew that was a long time ago, I wouldn't know what a pedal steel was for another 10 years.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.
Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2007 8:04 pm    

I was walking at nearly a 45 degree angle, trying to make progress between buildings, at the University of Buffalo, in the crazy headwinds coming across Lake Erie. I had to play 4-6 nights a week to support myself and had far more fun making music than I did studying engineering. However, engineering proved to be the money maker in my life and the music a side line. The few times I did turn to music and the road life I came back poorer than when I left.
Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2007 8:16 pm    

Driving my mother crazy at age 3 1/2
Thom Beeman

California, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2007 8:27 pm    

Junior in high school, working as guitarist with a gospel quartet. On week-ends going to Town Hall Party in So.Ca. listening to Uncle Joe Maphis and meeting real country royalty, folks like Speedy West, Ralph Mooney, The Maddox family, etc. We lived next door to a young girl who was learning to play PSG, who later became famous with her sister's in country music, her dad was a highway patrolman, any guess's. haha. Enjoy reading the posts on this subject.