| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho Bud Pro II Custom Almost Ready To Gig
Marc Weller

Upland, Ca. 91784
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 3:36 pm    

This was an ebay purchase out of Alberta several months ago. One of those “super deal until the last few minutes auctions” when suddenly half of Alberta was bidding and, curiously, most bidders had little or no feedback. I won the auction for $1925 and a couple weeks later received this Pro II. Cosmetically a very nice guitar, but unfortunately Day setup, only two knees (one wasn’t even connected), and you had to be 5 feet tall or shorter to play the thing. I took the guitar to a nearby technician to raise the guitar, have the copedant changed and have the knees added. $620 later I was still very unhappy with the guitar. I then drove down to Oceanside to Jim Palenscar’s place and he spent 2 hours getting the rodding straightened out. A huge improvement but still the LKR added by the first technician failed to lower the E’s completely to Eb. They are still 20 cents sharp even with the stop removed. The first technician fabricated the shaft and arm and there is not enough travel for the E to Eb change even with the rod positions maxed out. I’d like to repair this myself if possible. I already welded up a new stop from bar stock (the one added by the first tech interfered with the LKL linkage and wouldn’t let the E’s anywhere near Eb) and I fabricated a set of polished stainless steel pedal rods to allow me to raise the guitar to a suitable height. Should I order parts from Mr. Coop or can my existing parts be modified to provide more travel?

Here's the shaft fabricated by the first technician

Here's the stop I fabricated

another undercarraige shot
Curtis Mason

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2007 7:32 am     Lowering E's

Marc,

If you cannot lower your E's 1/2 note, I would look for something like the rod may be in the wrong hole at the changer finger. Make sure your rod is in the uppermost hole of the bottom of the finger..you probably have 3 raise and 2 lower, you'll want the rod to be the the top hole of the lowering linkage, this should provide the appropriate travel needed to lower your E's.

Are you having problems with both E's or just the 8th string?? The 4th string should not require near as much travel as the 8th to lower 1/2 note.

Hope this helps

Britain
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2007 12:04 pm    

The first thing that you need to do is establish whether the changer is capable of doing what you want.
Remove the rods from the fourth and eighth lowering fingers, and operate the fingers manually to see if semitone lower is achievable.
If it is, and I would be surprised if it wasn't, then the problem lies in either an unnecessary helper spring, or not enough travel in the linkages.
richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2007 12:07 pm    

PS Can you reduce the size of your
photos to 400 ?
I'm fed up of scrolling across
mike nolan

Forest Hills, NY USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2007 12:57 pm    

Marc,

You don't have enough travel in the lever. The lever is already too far to the right.... (#3 in the picture) nearly in the position it should be in when the Es are lowered. To get it in the correct position, you would have to loosen the setscrews ( #1 in the picture) where the pull rods go through the disks that attach to the rod pullers... then rotate the pullers toward the changer... which would move the lever to the left... ( the linkage at #2 in the picture should move down toward the body of the guitar)...

Pull the rods so that the nylon tuners are snug against the changer then re tighten the setscrews.

But you can't do that because the pullers will hit the P4 cross shaft.... so you need to loosen the pullers on the LKR cross shaft and rotate them away from the changer.... there is a milled flat on the cross shaft that the set screw should tighten against.... this could be a problem and you may have to make some other provision for tightening the pullers.

Email me if you want....
Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2007 2:42 pm    

Curtis i'm not sure this is a triple raise double lower guitar . Doc Weller does it have three sets of holes in the top where the nylon tuning pegs are ? And two sets in the bottom ? Just curious . Gary .
Marc Weller

Upland, Ca. 91784
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2007 10:00 pm     Sho Bud Pro II Custom Almost Ready To Gig

Gary,

It's got two and two.

MW
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2007 10:12 pm     Pro II

Bring it back down- we can take care of it
mike nolan

Forest Hills, NY USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2007 10:37 pm    

Marc,

I'm just curious.... were you holding the lever over when you took the pictures.... my assumption was that you were showing the neutral position.