| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Carter or Williams steel guitar
Dean Schrock

Vinton, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2007 3:24 pm    

I am looking to get a new steel and I have narrowed it down to a Carter or a Williams, I just can't not seem to make my mind up. I know they are both great steels so how do you make your choice? And don't say buy both I can not afford that.
Ernest Cawby

Lake City, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2007 4:38 pm    

I traded my pro 1 for a Carter best deal I ever made, this thing rings the bell, more people come up and say how well it sounds, Friday nite in quitman came over and said I love the sound of your steel.

ernie Laughing
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2007 4:44 pm    

I have a great Carter. I recommend it. I know someone with a great Williams. He recommends it. You will have a real good guitar with either. The difference will be in what best suits you. You either need to try both or do enough research to make an informed decision--it may be based on something intangible that grabs you.
One thing for sure--anyone who comes here on the forum to tell you a reason why you should not buy one or the other is simply full of it. If it happens, it will tell you a lot about the person but nothing about the guitar.
Brad Malone

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2007 4:46 pm     Carter or Williams

Hey Dean, when I read your post I was amazed that someone shared my exact findings and thoughts. I just emailed Mr. Seymore and shared those exact same ideas with him. I think you should also include the Magnum in your decision...the Magnum is also made by Carter and you can order the pickup and the setup, as far as knee levers, you want. I found out that Sarah Jory has a George L's E-66 PUP on her Magnum Steel and some people are really bragging about the great tone she gets from her Magnum, other than the PUP and the White color it is a Stock Steel. I am also waiting to hear more about the 600 changer on the Williams but information is scarce. I think the Williams probably has one of the best changer designs but I've never had the opportunity to see or hear one. Let me know when you make your decision...we must be on the same wavelength.
Brad
A. J. Schobert

Cincinnati, Ohio,
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2007 4:51 pm    

Dean have you ever sat behind a Carter or Williams? You are going to get opinions only, I live in cincy and have a carter d10 I don't know how far that is from you, but try both and then make your own choice.
Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2007 5:01 pm     Re: Carter or Williams steel guitar

Dean Schrock wrote:
I am looking to get a new steel and I have narrowed it down to a Carter or a Williams, I just can't not seem to make my mind up. I know they are both great steels so how do you make your choice? And don't say buy both I can not afford that.
Your question goes directly to others' subjective preferences. You're willing to make an investment decision like this, based on that?
mike nolan

Forest Hills, NY USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2007 5:21 pm    

Dean,

I have a Williams S-10 I really like it! I bought it because I needed a small lightweight steel to use on gigs in New York City clubs that had lots of stairs, no reasonably close parking, etc. I like to play my Push Pulls or Sho~Buds.... but some times I just don't want to lug 'em 4 blocks and then up 3 flights of stairs. The Williams hangs in there in the tone department with the heavyweights... I looked at a lot of modern axes. Most of them would have filled my requirements. I went with the Williams beacuse I wanted a custom lacquer finish... no extra charge with Williams. I also wanted some custom stuff done... wider than stock pedals, different pedal spacing than stock... and I didn't want to wait a really long time for delivery. I went out to visit Bill and passed a pleasurable day designing the guitar ant shooting the breeze..... The guitar arrived a couple of months later. Great!
I have not spent much time with Carters... but there are lots of happy owners out there.
It is good advise to try, if possible, before you buy...

Last edited by mike nolan on 1 Jan 2007 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brad Malone

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2007 5:21 pm     Williams or Carter

Hey Dave, we all have the right to ask questions. We do not have to base our decision on the answers we receive but the answers may be included in the equation. I agree that the only way to make a decision when buying a Steel is to make a side by side comparison because even same Brand Steels have differences. I find that the members on the SGF are very knowledgeable, very helpful and take a lot of their time to share information and experience. I love this place.
Brad
Doug Seymour

Jamestown NY USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2007 5:45 pm    

Dean, if you'll just say keyless, the decision is made for you! Carter doesn't make a keyless. D10, SD10 or S10 or what are you thinking? Maybe a U12? You're the one who's going to play it, I think it's up to you, but I agree, play them both before you decide! The other thing that might help you decide..... no extra
charge for a laquer finish on a Williams!
Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2007 6:09 pm     Re: Williams or Carter

Brad Malone wrote:
Hey Dave, we all have the right to ask questions. We do not have to base our decision on the answers we receive but the answers may be included in the equation.
Brad
Take a deep breath, Brad. My response has nothing to do with "rights". No one's trying to take away your rights.

The point I was trying to make is that the response to the question "What's your favorite XXX?" will always produce a litany of replies in which each "favorite XXX" will just coincidentally be the one the responder happens to own. Is that going to be useful information, if the reply does not also include a comparison based on personal experience, which most do not?

At the end of the day, any informed buy decision will require a "test drive". Anything less is a crapshoot.
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 2:57 am    

One of the reasons I bought a Carter was because there are a whole bunch of them out there, and parts for upgrades are relatively inexpensive. I'm very happy with it, and it seems as though a lot of pros get a good sound out of theirs. Should I ever need to fix something, it might be easier to find parts for a Carter in the long run. (I drive a 16-year-old Ford Taurus wagon for the same reason, if that's any indication of my mindset - parts are everywhere.)
Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 5:31 am    

One of my guitars is a Carter D 10. Its a very good dependable quality guitar and it sounds great. I like John Fabian a lot, and enjoyed dealing with both John and Ann.
Also, delivery was less than 3 weeks from the day I placed my order.
Hopefully some Williams owners can give you some info on the Williams guitars. I can say, from the people I know that play a Williams guitar, they are very pleased with the quality, sound and playability of their guitar.
Hook

MUSICO

Jeremy Williams in Spain
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 5:49 am     I went CARTER

I had it narrowed down to the same two....

Carter from a lot of reccomendations and Williams because I like the idea of my surname on the front of the guitar Very Happy

Eventually I went Carter for their customer service. Im far away, and as everyone promised, they were and are excellent.

Jeremy WILLIAMS
Barcelona Spain
Scott Swartz

St. Louis, MO
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 7:17 am    

I own one of each, like them both, but I can tell you they are very different tonally and ergonomically. Scale length is different and lots of other things. They are both very light and mechanically sound, although most/all other new guitars out there are also.

If you call each manufacturer they may know of local/nearby people who would let you try out their axe, or go to a steel show. It will be worth the expense to try them out first. Another mediocre option is to buy a used one to try and then resell it to try the other brand or to order a new one if desired.
Brian Henry

Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 9:01 am    

Dave,

You seem to like quoting Russel. He was an atheist, who said "There is no God" In the bible it says "The fool has said in his heart there is no God." Basdically he was a fool. I would prefer if you didn't quote him. Your argument, re buying a new guitar, which I agree with, is quite sound without his help. Brian

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 10:13 am    

Absolutely the best thing to do is try them before you buy them.
I don't care what the configuration is, single, sd10, d10, keyless, headless, mica, wood & lacquer, wood or metal necks, emmons or day set up .. find a brand you like, that's comfortable to play and that has a sound YOU like.
Try to compare a few side by side if you can.
Try out as many as you can and don't rush it.
There are major brand names and minor brand names.
According to the forum members consensus, all the MAJOR brands are quality, well made, good playing instruments. But all the brands will sound slightly different and no 2 of the same brand will sound exactly alike, even with the same pickups or with different players picking on them .
Rittenberry SD10 , Derby D-10, Quilter TT12, Peavey Session 400 w/ JBL, NV112, Fender Blues Jr. , 1974 Dobro 60N squareneck, Rickenbacher NS lapsteel, 1973 Telecaster Thinline, 1979 blonde/black Frankenstrat
Currently picking with
Mason Dixon Band masondixonband.net

Last edited by Bo Borland on 2 Jan 2007 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 10:17 am    

I have played both and would buy the Williams if it were my money. Bill builds a very nice guitar IMHO.
James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 12:54 pm    

Try before you buy if possible !!....Personally, I would buy a Williams as you can get the BEAUTIFUL figured wood for no upcharge, and it sounds great too ...Bill makes a great sounding , looking, and playing pedal steel ....Jim
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 1:56 pm    

I love my Carter,,, can't fault it at all.. Plays and sounds as good or better than any steel I have ever played....

That being said, I REALLY love the look of the Williams.. Bill Rudolph is a master at beautiful finishes.. I might bite for looks alone on a Williams... I had a very old Willy Keyless serial # 027... It was a good steel, Feather light... I do prefer a keyed head and sold it.. It sounded beautiful...bob
Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 2:20 pm    

Here goes !!! I would like to try the new Show~Pro's . As the man said already heres my two cents worth . But really look at one and see what you think if you can . I know they sure do look great to me . MY openion only . G.P.
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 2:32 pm    

Did you check out Performance Steel Guitars?
'Just asking because they are made in your state.
pb
Dean Schrock

Vinton, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 3:55 pm     Carter or Williams steel guitar

Well, I think I will go with the Williams, mostly because I want a laquer finished guitar and he charges the same for both, so this the way I think I will go,I think.
Sonny Priddy

Elizabethtown, Kentucky, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 6:49 pm    

I Have A GFI Ultra & A New Magnum Bouth Are Great And Light Wt. SONNY.
Brad Malone

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 7:41 pm     Carter or Williams

Dean, Please let us all know how you like your new Williams when you have a chance. Are you getting the keyed or keyless and how long is the waiting time?
Brad
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 7:44 pm    

Dean, you will be extremely happy with either of your original choices. Enjoy! Very Happy

Dave P., please do not refrain from quoting Bertrand Russell because of Brian Henry's inappropriate remark, which only proves Russell's point. Rolling Eyes