| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  dobro vs psg
Robert Cates

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2006 3:58 pm    

Hello all you wonderful people
I am a beginner on psg(2 years) and wondering how difficult it is to play dobro.Does the ability to play pedal steel help in learning the dobro..or hurt? If the dobro is as hard to learn as the psg than I could not take that on right now. I love the sound and would like to get "unplugged". Maybe some bluegrass stuff. Any suggestions on which dobro to get and also some good learning material. thank you in advance.
Bob

[This message was edited by Robert Cates on 27 December 2006 at 04:19 PM.]

Billy Gilbert

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2006 4:40 pm    

Check out Jimmy Heffernan's web page. I think he is giving a workshop in the Boston area soon. Difficulty is a relative thing, a dobro might be easier or harder, but it will be different.

A Regal Lightning, a Beard Gold Tone, or the entry level model Sheerhorn sells would be your best bet. Anything cheaper will need lots of work to sound decent. My two cents. Billy
John DeBoalt

Harrisville New York USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2006 5:11 pm    

They're two different instruments to say the least,especially if you want to play bluegrass style. You play both with picks, and a bar. Beyond that everything is different. You get to pick the bar up a lot more with a resonator guitar. As for ease in learning, the resonator guitar has a lot less body parts involved.

John
Robert Cates

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2006 5:25 pm    

Thanks you guys for the info.
I'm going to check into it further and get one of those string things. Which came first the dobro or the steel guitar? Are they cousins? Seems like lots of steel players also play dobro. Must be something to it. I have been going to Bluegrass festival around the state and I really love the music. After the show they all get together and jam all night. Would love to be able to jam with them...Maybe someday
Bob
D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2006 8:26 pm    

As an alternative to learnin' material, you might pick up a lot just from listening to old Flatt & Scruggs recordings with Uncle Josh Graves on the Dobro, or Roy Acuff with Bashful Brother Oswald. That's where bluegrass and steel first "collided". Might be best to calibrate your ears to the traditional Dobro sound before proceeding further.
Randy Reeves

LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2006 4:26 am    

steel guitar is a broad term. both PS and dobro are steel guitars. one does not have pedals. that is why we are posting here.
I had a really nice 74 ShoBud for a few years. I wanted to be proficient. I just didnt have the time needed for pedal steel guitar.
having all four limbs move to play at the same time was to much. having expereinced a pedal steel guitar showcsae and being a backup band guitar player, I had a birds eye view of many great players. I realized that I could never devote the time I did have to that instrument.
I am content now to learn and play my lap steels and dobro.
dobro is easier depending on your goals.
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2006 5:41 am    

As for the relationship between the PSG and the resonator guitar, In this section the post:-
http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum2/HTML/009527.html
covered it quite well.

Also see this Folder :-
History of Slack Key and Hawaiian Guitar

and these files :-

Slack Key Myths etc

Hawaiian Guitar History

------------------
Quote:
<SMALL>Steel players do it without fretting</SMALL>

Last edited by basilh on 30 Dec 2006 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Larry Phleger

DuBois, PA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2006 6:06 am    

A lot of Dobro players use the G tuning. I prefer the 6 string C6, or A6. The A6 is like E9 PSG with pedals A&B. I play PSG, and these tunings work well for me. You have the I, relative minor and 2 notes of the IV all on the same fret. This allows you to do a lot of really cool stuff without having to use slants. When you get the hang of using slants, a lot of other really cool stuff becomes possible. This is MHO. Others may have different suggestions.
Gary Lynch

Creston, California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2006 6:27 am    

You mat consider a Weissenborn style lap guitar or a National Tricone. Also, a Dobro can be played on your lap but it's rare to see anyone using that style while performing.
Jim Bates

Alvin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2006 12:43 pm    

The Hawaiian style acoustic guitar already existed when the 'dobro' was invented. The Dopera's were trying to amplify all the existing acoustic stringed instruments so they could heard above the LOUD horns in orchestras. Hawaiian music was very popular during that time. That is why so many of the early dobro's featured Hawaiian scenes on them (and still do in a few models).

Unfortunately, a few years after this mechanical amplification was starting to become popular, the electric amplification took over.

You can do a 'google' search on the subject and find much more.

Thanx,
Jim
Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2006 1:50 pm    

Robert....Where are you from in Maine? I knew a Cates family from East Vasselboro back in the 70's,when at school near Waterville....

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2006 8:16 pm    

Jim and Chris, I've corrected the broken links in my previous post so you can read the historical FACTS.
Robert, the Hawaiian Steel Guitar came way before the Dobro or any OTHER resonator guitar.
Read the PDF's Rolling Eyes

Steelies do it without fretting

CLICK THIS to view my tone bars and buy——>
Robert Cates

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2006 2:19 pm    

Thanks for all the replys guys and gals. Basilh ,I will read the good info that you gave me. Chris Boyd,Must be some other Cates' I grew up way downeast in Washington county.Very close to Canada. I have been super busy with work and all and am just now getting back to you guys...Sorry... .I will be buying
me a dobro sometime in the near future and it really helps to get the experts advice.

My wife wants to get a standup base. That should be really neat..The base will be way bigger than she it!!!!!!

Bob
Ron Randall

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2007 10:56 pm    

FWIW
I started on a T8 Stringmaster, then moved to the PSG.
I love to play the resonator style steel guitars and I sound like a steel player when I do. I don't practice the bluegrass skills.

I guess with a lot of right and left hand work, I could get there. But, I like what I do on the resonators.

If you have 2 years on the PSG, you have dealt with right and left hand techniques, music, notes, tab, numbers, tunings, extended chords, and on.
Part of the fun and challenge on a 6 string Dobro is deciding what not to play.

Any material Mike Auldrige has out there is top shelf.

I hope this helps.

Ron