| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Spreadsheet of Reece's Tuning
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 28 Feb 2006 7:08 pm    

I've started putting together a comprehensive spreadsheet of Reece's 12 string tuning. I've finished the Triads, major and minor.

It shows all the grips, first and second inversions and has notes on transition chords using a common root note.

I'll be working on the 7ths next.

I'm happy to distribute it to anyone who wants but I don't want to have to email to everyone. If anyone can host it for download, that would be best. Let me know.

Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 1 Mar 2006 3:51 am    

Okay Rick Alexander has kindly offered to make it available on his site.

Let me know if the first spread sheet needs anything or if you have any questions on how I organzied the information.

As I continue, I'll either add them to the old spread sheet or make a new one, which ever is easier for Rick.
Mark Vinbury

N. Kingstown, Rhode Island, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2006 6:21 am    

Does Reece have any of this material already available?
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 1 Mar 2006 8:02 am    

If he did, I'd buy it in a new york minute.

This spreadsheet is a modest affair to help with my own studies of the tuning. I put it together for myself. I'd love it if Reece put a comprehensive tutorial on the tuning. That would be fantastic.
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2006 8:03 am    

What is Ricks website??????
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 1 Mar 2006 8:13 am    

I'm sure he will post something when he puts it up.
Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2006 8:56 am    

I've been wishing Reece would do some teaching material for this tuning. I'm finding some stuff but I know there's ton's more stuff that I haven't found yet.

Maybe Reece will chime in here with some information about what plans he has. With his incredible teaching style I bet it would sure be a big help with this 12 string tuning.

Rick
Jesse Pearson

San Diego , CA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2006 9:16 am    

Yo, why don't you guys make you own charts based on the tuning? Make a master note placement chart and go from there, writing out chords (root,inverted,partials)scales and intervals. I've been using Jazz blues books for guitar and hammond organ to try and come up with progressions and voicings that work on C6. I write out scales and patterns on blank neck charts, a great way to learn a tuning and apply it real fast in a practicle way. Breaking chords down into primary, substitute and passing chords is a great way to understand a tuning. Chord partials is what I come up with a lot, root and inverted. Hey, what the heck, it works. I would think that a 12 string tuning would be great for trying to sound like a hammond organ or a horn section against a jump blues band. It would be cool if a book ever came out to cover the steel riffing like a horn section against a blues band. Man, that could be a new fad.
Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2006 9:52 am    

Here's the first one:

http://rickalexander.com/12stringLapSteelGrips.xls
Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2006 10:32 am    

Quote:
As I continue, I'll either add them to the old spread sheet or make a new one, which ever is easier for Rick

Either way is fine with me Bill, so do it which ever way works best.
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 1 Mar 2006 10:51 am    

Thanks Rick,

Just so everyone knows what they are looking at:

There are 3 tabs. when you open it, you will see a notes page which shows the grips you will need to play the triads and some interesting chord transitions that can be done using a common note in the bass.

then there are 2 tabs - one for minors and one for majors. these are just 3 note triads. I have eliminated ackward or impossible grips. On each page you will see a representation of the first 12 frets. Boxes indicate the chord and I have included their interval. Within a single fretboard diagram, if the boxes are the same color that indicates the same chord but at different location on the neck. Different colors represent different chord voicings.

there is a chart for primary position, a chart for 1st inversion and a chart for 2nd inversion for each major and minor. I have not included slant possibilities.

Everything is in the key of C. You transpose for other keys.
Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2006 11:43 am    

Bill... remember that ring finger pick... you might want to include some four note inversions
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 1 Mar 2006 11:46 am    

Dave,

I'm working on 4 note chords next. I wanted to start with triads. My plan is to tackle 4 note chords starting with 7ths next.

I also realized that I didn't include any chords that incorporate a combination of open and fretted strings. I'll go back and look at that.
Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2006 12:49 pm    

Can't get the link to work for some reason.

Rick
Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2006 1:20 pm    

If it doesn't open when you click on it, try right-clicking and "save link target as", then save it to a folder on your hd and open it from there.
Remember, it's an .xls file, so you need Microsoft Excel (that comes with Word) to open it.
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 1 Mar 2006 2:02 pm    

Yes you will need Excel - although it doesn't come with Word. It does come with Microsoft Office though. You will need that to view it.
Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2006 2:54 pm    

Got it, thanks yall. This is pretty cool Bill.

Rick
Craig Stenseth

Naperville, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2006 3:54 pm    

Or, download openoffice.org to open spreadsheets, word processing documents, etc. (it's free, vs. whatever Microsoft is getting for Office these days ...).
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2006 7:36 pm    

Here's another way to look at this. I simply tabled all the intervals using each string as a root. Across the top are the notes used as the root (at the nut). Some people might prefer the root string number instead. You can look at this as being 7 different necks, depending on which string you consider the root. Across the bottom is more or less the name of the neck.

C6 12		C root	A root	F root	G root	E root	D root	B root

1 D 2/9 4/11 6 5 b7 1 b3
2 B mj7 9 5 3 5 6/13 1
3 G 5 b7 2/9 1 b3 4/11
4 E 3 5 mj7 6/13 1 2/9 4/11
5 C 1 b3 5 4/11 b7
6 A 6 1 3 2/9 4/11 5 b7
7 G 5 b7 2/9 1 b3 4/11
8 E 3 5 mj7 6/13 1 2/9 4/11
9 C 1 b3 5 4/11 b7
10 A 6 1 3 2/9 4/11 5 b7
11 F 4 6 1 b7 b3 b5
12 D 2/9 4/11 6 5 b7 1 b3

C6mj7 9 F6mj7 9 Em7 11 Bm11
Am11 G13 Dm13

You can look through this chart and find all sorts of triads and quadrads.

Here is what you get with the 8-string tuning.

Hi C6 8		C root	A root	F root	G root	E root	D root	B root

1 G 5 b7 2/9 1 b3 4/11
2 E 3 5 mj7 6/13 1 2/9 4/11
3 C 1 b3 5 4/11 b7
4 A 6 1 3 2/9 4/11 5 b7
5 G 5 b7 2/9 1 b3 4/11
6 E 3 5 mj7 6/13 1 2/9 4/11
7 C 1 b3 5 4/11 b7
8 A 6 1 3 2/9 4/11 5 b7

C6mj7 9 F6mj7 9 Em7 11 Bm11
Am11 G13 Dm13

Because you are missing the top and bottom two strings, some of these no longer have the actual root, but you can still get diads, triads and quadrads that work for substitution and passing chords, and even primary chords (with the bass player typically supplying the root).

Just as an example, the blues pocket Reece showed us used strings 6, 5, and 4. If you look under the E root column, you will see that the root (1) is on string 6, and you get a 1 b3 4 series. If you move up two frets, on strings 4 and 3 (in the D root column) you add the 5th and b7 to the series (since D is two frets below E, you have to move up two frets to keep it in the same key). This is a whole pentatonic blues scale.

I've sent these charts to Rick as Excel spreadsheets. He can add them to his site if he wants to.

------------------
Student of the Steel: Zum uni, Fender tube amps, squareneck and roundneck resos, tenor sax, keyboards

[This message was edited by David Doggett on 01 March 2006 at 08:09 PM.]

Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2006 9:43 pm    

Glad to David - here's the link: http://rickalexander.com/C6lapintervalchart.xls

Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 2 Mar 2006 4:37 am    

It's been pointed out to me that I got my inversions reversed. 1st inversion is really second and second is first.

I'll make the change in the spreadsheet and have Rick swap it out in a day or two.

Those of you who have already downloaded it can make the change yourself: just change 1st to 2nd and visa versa.

It has also been pointed out that on the minor triad I did not go with the am instead of the cm.

that is true but on purpose. I wanted to make everything C so I wouldn't think in a particular key. So that was by design. Thanks for the feedback.

UPDATE: Corrected file has been sent to Rick so as soon as he swaps it out it should be correct.

[This message was edited by Bill McCloskey on 02 March 2006 at 04:51 AM.]

Mark Vinbury

N. Kingstown, Rhode Island, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2006 5:51 am    

David That spreadsheet is great.
Even has the Date when you can start using each position.

[This message was edited by Mark Vinbury on 02 March 2006 at 05:52 AM.]

Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 2 Mar 2006 7:07 am    

Rick's mailbox was full so I'll have to resend the sheet later.

Rick if you get this: your email bounced.
HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2006 7:57 am    

Quote:
It's been pointed out to me that I got my inversions reversed

Aggghhhh! That explains it! I've been trying to play Carolina Moon, and it comes out as Moon Carolina...(I)....

[This message was edited by HowardR on 02 March 2006 at 07:58 AM.]

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2006 8:58 am    

Yes, Mark, Excel lost the formatting information when it went from my program to Rick's. It thinks 2/9 and 4/11 are dates. I've sent instructions for correcting that to Rick, and he'll probably get around to it soon. Meantime, you can copy the chart to your own Excel spreadsheet and correct it yourself. Highlight the whole chart, right click, select "format cells," and choose "text." If it doesn't revert back to the numbers with slashes, you may have to retype them in yourself, but they should stay correct after that. Don't use the "number" format for the cells - it will think the slashes are fractions and convert them to decimals. Also you will want to highlight the whole table and click on the center icon on your spreadsheet format bar to get the columns to line up correctly. Apparently Microsoft no longer uses WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get), but now mostly uses WYSIWMWYTG (what you see is what Microsoft wants you to get).

[This message was edited by David Doggett on 02 March 2006 at 09:00 AM.]