| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Pod
Jim Ives

Los Angeles, California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2005 12:55 pm    

What is your opinion on the Pod and Pod XT amp modelers? I am in a position to purchase one but have not got alot of information to go on.
Thanks,
-Jim

------------------
Mullen D-10 -or- Zum D-10
Lexicon MPX 100 -or- RV3
Fulltone Full-Drive II
Evans FET 500 -or-
Peavey Nashville 1000
Vox wah-wah pedal
My dog Toby sittin' on the floor listening

Randy Sevearance

Crouse, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2005 2:19 pm    

Jim if you can talk to tommy dodd he has
settings in his that sound great I've not got them yet but my opinion is hes the best
with this unit I've seen and I think you can patch this animal direct to the p a system it works as a pre amp I like mine but you really have to put alot of time to get what you want tommy say finess it to get great stuff out of it Tommy is the man on this thing when it comes to the steel guitar and he might hunt me down and kill me for saying all this but he has the best sound bar none I've heard Hope this helps
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2005 2:55 pm    

The POD XT is the one to use. Forget the older POD. The older POD is more distortion and really for guitar. The XT has more clean preamps and more features, and is supported by upgrades. One forumite reported he bought a POD instead of the POD XT because it was cheaper and then noted he couldn't get what he wanted out of it and wished he had bought the XT model.

Ron Elliott is using one (and sounded great in St Louis). I'm using an XT model and have also developed downloadable programs for it. I know several steelers that also have XT models and they are using my programs.

My programs are on my web site http://web.tampabay.rr.com/jstoner1
Tommy Dodd

Acworth, Ga., USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2005 6:33 pm    

Jim,

Everything Jack has mentioned about the POD XT is true. It is much better for steel players IMHO. The Line 6 POD XT is an extremely powerful tool and can provide a world of enhancing flavoring to your sound. The unit can be used as a direct recording device, a powerhouse preamp, a practice partner (using headphones!), or as a creative digital signal processing tool kit.

In addition, I designed and have been selling the POD bracket that several steel players are using with it. (Here's a link to an older thread where it's merits were discussed some time ago http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum17/HTML/001723.html .

Due to the popularity of the combination of the POD and the bracket I now have been set up as a "Speacialty Market Dealer" for the Line 6 POD products. I too supply the POD with a complete set of programs aimed at the needs of steel players. Please email me if I can help you or anyone else with a question about the POD's.
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2005 9:08 pm    

I'm not crazy about the amp models. But the many effects alone are worth the price. There is decent delay and over a dozen types of reverb - spring, plate, chamber, different hall sizes, etc. There are several types of classic fuzz and distortion. And even though none of the amp models sound exactly like the real deal, they offer many additional ways to get subtle to mega distortion. There is even a Leslie cabinet model.

The POD also solved my longstanding headphone problem. I have a Behringer minimixer that I plug my steel into along with my CD player for practicing at home. But going direct into the mixer and headphones always sounded harsh and thin. Now I run my guitar into the POD before the mixer and use a Twin Reverb model with the 2x12 speaker simulator. This is the best headphone sound I have ever heard. The CD player still goes directly into the mixer and I plug my headphones into the mixer. So the amp and speaker model only affects my guitar.

But I sure would like for Line 6 to add a 15" JBL D130 model. Tommy D., any chance of persuading them to do that? It seems like a pretty small thing, but it would sure make the POD more steeler friendly.
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2005 1:36 am    

Tommy,
I'm looking forward to checking out what you have going on the pod. So far I must say I have been seriously underwelmed by them. When I play on stage with guys using them they seem to sound sort of muffled and down the hall. When I have recorded or gigged with them they seem to add a timing and dynamic separation between my picking and the sound coming out of the amp that I don't feel with my old Fenders.
Maybe its just the situation I've been in with them but I also miss a high range shimmer. They seem to drop off after 4K.

------------------
Bob
My Website

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2005 7:29 am    

Bob, are you talking about a 4K drop off with the amp models, or with the effects also. I never use the amp or speaker models except with my headphones. I just use the reverb, etc. I haven't noticed any problem either with the delayed sound you mention or with the highs. But I have not really done a with and without comparison. I would not be surprised if there is a 4K drop off with the amp and speaker models. Compared to a flat PA or home stereo, most guitar amps and speakers roll off the highs and emphasize the bass. So if you run their guitar amp and speaker models through your own guitar amp and speaker, you are doubling the natural roll off of the highs. To get the authentic guitar amp and speaker simulations they intend, you have to run it through a flat hi-fi system like a PA, or flat, clean transistor type amp like the 300 watt Line-6 Vetta head.
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2005 8:53 am    

David,
I hear the same problems with the line 6 combo amps and the Line-6 Vetta head. They just sound dull and boxey to my ear.Although I have used them and amp farm on sessions and the end result was fine.

The separation thing is a visceral sensation for me. Like walking in sun compared to a tanning salon.

Bob

[This message was edited by Bob Hoffnar on 09 September 2005 at 09:55 AM.]

[This message was edited by Bob Hoffnar on 09 September 2005 at 09:59 AM.]