| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tone....Is it also in the eyes?
Reece Anderson

Keller Texas USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 9:13 am    

I felt it to be appropriate that I introduce another consideration of tone in a different thread so as to remain on topic from my other thread called, "Is "IT" in the hands....or inherent tone", neither of which involve the eyes?

Many steel players have the opinion a black guitar sounds better than other colors, and if they truly believe it…...it does sound better..…..to them. The reason they believe it sounds better, is because the eyes are introducing mental images which are compatible to previously formed subliminal images.

Some of the most significant contributions to a subliminal image relative to steel guitar are: 1) the power of suggestion and reinforcement from other steel players who share the same opinion. 2) by accepting an opinion from a steel player in which one has great respect. 3) while watching a steel player perform under memorable circumstances and the eyes are fixated on the player and the steel guitar creating the music.

The truth is……the color of a steel guitar is not identifiable by any means other than visual!

Each of us have subliminal mental imaging, and unless one is aware of the reality of the sub-conscious subliminal connection relative to steel guitar, it can adversely affect their tone and playing because they may unknowingly be opposing their subliminal image.

I’m convinced each person’s subliminal perceptions should agree with a combination of color, design and cosmetics of their steel guitar. (CDC) We have all experienced the feeling our guitar plays better and our cars run better when they are cleaned and beautifully polished.

I have seen the exact same automobile model look okay in one color, and stunning in another color. This is because the CDC when collectively considered agreed with my sub-conscious subliminal image. Those who have a totally different opinion than mine who are happy with their selection have also aligned their subliminal image with their perception of CDC, therefore they are also justified and happy with their decision.

I believe hundreds of years ago there was physiological reasoning for the color and design of stringed instruments which continues yet today. It’s also my belief that for a majority, darker colors in musical instruments provides compatible subliminal imaging, which results only in that of a “perceived” better sound and feel. Some may consider this as being verified by the fact that master string players and piano players seldom if EVER play bright or light colored instruments.

Being aware this mental phenomenon exists when selecting the guitar which has CDC that is collectively compatible with ones personal subliminal imaging, will allow the steel guitar one chooses to have the “perceived” tone and feel for which they have been searching.

Those who don’t consider CDC will quite possibly fail to achieve the visual and subliminal imaging connection and will continue searching for the right combination which will allow them to sound and play their best.

Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 9:24 am    

Blind people play music just fine.

Even Steel Guitar.

Better than anybody in the room if the lights go out.

Next topic?

EJL
Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 10:28 am    

It has been my experiences that alternating different colored guitars inspires my perception of playing ability, as I believe unfamiliar visuals requires me personally, to employ a more keen sense of attention to detail and/or sit up straight and take heed if you will, much like the heightened sense of touch to one who is blind. Aren't those of us with sight blessed and those with heightened touch even more!
I also agree with Reece, at least in my case. I tend to choose dark hues as not to distract or say by visual display,"Hey,check me and my steel out!".
By the way, I have a dark garnet Millenium and a black Millenium, well of course the black one sounds better....

[This message was edited by Tommy White on 23 December 2006 at 10:51 AM.]

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 10:36 am    

To answer the question. The answer for me, who has sight and with all motor skills considered, would be yes.
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 10:54 am    

For me personally, I can adjust to a darker colored guitar quicker than let's say a white or teal green. By this I mean when I look down at the neck, a black, navy or rosewood mica guitar for example, I don't think about the color as much and I can focus more on how it sounds and plays. If I'm looking down at a white or light colored mica then it distracts me a little until I get used to it. As far as black guitars go, I've always believed that a lot of players were comfortable with the dark color because it's not a distraction basically. Plus black mica cabinets are very pretty, especially when inlay or matching trim is added. Plus another added feature of a black guitar, although not really important, is the fact that a black mica sitting on a stage will usually blend in with any color combo. I do believe color plays a major part in guitar sales also. In my steel shop the best selling colors are black and red.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 10:58 am    

Well, when i get my second millennium, I want it to look like this:

------------------
Warning: I have a telecaster and I'm not afraid to use it.
-----------
My web site

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 11:00 am    

Be careful what you ask for, Mike. I think they can DO that!

FWIW, I think black mica guitars sound better because they have "gravitas".
Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 11:16 am    

Hey Mike, how about this one?

DZ

[This message was edited by b0b on 23 December 2006 at 01:59 PM.]

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 11:26 am    

To some people subliminal color preferences have a huge effect on sound perception. To others it's often just an aesthetic thing but has no effect on one's perception of tone or quality of sound.

Where it gets conflicting is those who have studied pitch as related to specific colors....that can wreak havoc on tuning AND playing - there's been quite a bit of discussion about "perfect pitch" courses that use colors and how they mess up "normal" playing on other forums.

For me, color is just an aesthetic thing - I like some more than others but it makes no difference in my playing. I suck in black just as badly as I suck in green.

;-)
Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 11:34 am    

Reece- You always comes up with some thought provoking posts, and this is one of them. I think that I understand what you are saying, as pertaining to me.

I Always feel more comfortable and inspired playing a Birdsye Maple or Sunburst Wood Lacquer Guitar. I had a MSA Sunburst S12, that everytime I played it, it felt good to me. (sorry I sold that one). I wish I could afford a MSA Legend to replace that one. I have also have had the same feeling with a Sho-Bud Professional D10, and my Natural Pro 1 too.

Yes, Reece, I think you hit on something there . I Definitely feel better and play better if I have a beautifully polished maple wood guitar.

Merry Christmas and a Happy Successful New Year to you and yours and for many years to come....al

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/
Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 11:42 am    

What if the guitar was clear would it have a thin sound ??? Ha . G.P.
Greg Simmons

where the buffalo (used to) roam AND the Mojave
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 11:56 am    

That Twin on the black milk carton will definitely sound better than the amp sitting on the green one
ArtPalazzini

Torrington , Ct. Litchfield
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 12:06 pm    

At best, I am a weekend warrior and somewhat reluctant to offer my limited opinion on this topic, but here goes--- all musicians have emotions and passions that drive them to play. For myself, I listen to what the song is saying and what memories the melody brings to my mind I imagine I'm the song and let any emotions / passion or what ever you want to call it, be heard thru the chord/voicings I choose to express myself. Maybe your Emotions etc.. atribute as much as anything posted so far. Did not mean to get so maudlin... Art
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 12:16 pm    

Quote:
To some people subliminal color preferences have a huge effect on sound perception.

Nothing subliminal about it in my case. I have this weird aversion to the color yellow. I actually find it physically painful to look at.

The more yellow in my immediate environment, the more dysfunctional I become. I would not be able to play at all on a yellow guitar.

This is really weird. In another thread I mentioned a acupuncturist who plays the guitar. This man had me hold some items in my left hand, without looking to see what they were, while he tested the strength in my right. When he gave me a yellow object, even though I couldn't see it and was unaware if it's color, my right hand lost much of it's strength. The strength returned when I released the object.

I can't explain why I am affected this way by the color, but it's a very real phenomenon. I've been this way since I was an infant.

My earlier post with the fractal art was an attempt at humor, but I'm not joking about this. Those of you who've been to my house may recall that there is no yellow anywhere in it.

------------------
Warning: I have a telecaster and I'm not afraid to use it.
-----------
My web site

Colby Tipton

Crosby, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 12:25 pm    

Reece,
I will have to say yes, color makes a difference. Clear finishes or black is what I seem to gravitate to on pedal steel guitars and I think most other people seem to be pulled towards certain colors that they like. I could play on any color but I would never be satisfied with it, thus the mental block.

Mike,
This isn't the 60s anymore.

Colby
C. Christofferson

Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 12:31 pm    

I think its been said that, subliminally, we would all like to return to that perfectly secure state that we experienced for the 1rst nine months of our existence, and black is the (absence of) colour that we knew then. Could this have anything to do with anything?
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 12:39 pm    

In December of 2003 I did what may be one of the last interviews with Jimmy Crawford, talking extensively about Emmons history, and guitar building. Most Emmons devotees would agree that Jimmy knew them inside and out. I've always been fascinated with this part of our exchange:
quote:

MvA: Now, back when you were assembling Emmons guitars here in Nashville for customers that wanted the custom 10 and 10 setup, the factory standard was four knees, right?
JC: Yes, four knees and 8 floors.
MvA: Did you notice a tonal difference, or a difference in feel and playing action on the guitars once they’d been loaded up with all those extra changes, rods, and levers?
JC: It can dampen the guitar somewhat, but not to where it’s really noticeable. I had a green leatherette covered Emmons, the one I did “Ton of Steel” with, and the covering was pretty thick, you couldn’t beat sound out of that guitar with a sledgehammer. You’ve often heard that great sound comes out of either a rosewood or a black Emmons...
MvA: Now there’s a conversation starter!
JC: Well it was often attributed to the color- or to a psychological factor, but no, it should be attributed to a certain thickness of backing on the mica, thinner than some of the other colors.
MvA: We’ve all heard the argument that there’s a real difference, and that no, it’s just a myth. But there really was a difference in the dimensional thickness of the black Formica?
JC: Yeah, and that had everything to do with that, the thickness, not the color!
The critical ears are going to be the ones to pick that out.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 12:57 pm    

when I close my eyes I play in the dark..if you close your eyes am I still playing in the dark ?

just thinking out loud

t
Calvin Walley

colorado city colorado, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 1:03 pm    

Eric nailed this one

------------------
Mullen SD-10 3&5 / nashville 400
Hilton volume pedal

Reece Anderson

Keller Texas USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 2:01 pm    

Those who are blind are blessed with "special gifts" which are incomprehensible to those of us who have our sight.

Assuming a like analogy exists between those who have sight and those who don't, is not a true comparison.
Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 2:21 pm    

Reece. No. They don't have Special Gifts.

They're Blind fer Crissake...

Edited out of sheer consternation.

See youse.

EJL

[This message was edited by Eric West on 23 December 2006 at 02:24 PM.]

Klaus Caprani

Copenhagen, Denmark
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 2:28 pm    

It might be slightly off topic, but all the well meant remarks about, that my recordings "could use a mastering through more expensive equipment....yada yada", always emerges AFTER people learn, that it's all done here at home

------------------
Klaus Caprani

MCI RangeXpander S-10 3x4
www.klauscaprani.com

PS. While listening on a car-stereo

[This message was edited by Klaus Caprani on 23 December 2006 at 02:31 PM.]

Reece Anderson

Keller Texas USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 2:45 pm    

...."incomprehensible" is the word to consider in this instance.
Twayn Williams

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 2:46 pm    

I love a good sunburst finish, and prefer a maple fretboard, no binding. I choose GFI because I preferred the look of the shallow cabinet compared to other brands of comparable price. If there had been a black one in stock at the time, I would've gone with that instead of blue. And blue any day over red.

And yes, finishes can have an effect on the tone of the instrument.
Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 2:48 pm    

I like birdseye maple, like my Sho~Bud. A lacquer guitar inspires me, regardless of the colour.