| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sarah jory
Alan Miller

, England, UK.
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2006 6:21 pm    

I first saw sarah when she was 18yrs old at a club in Gretna Green Scotland with backing tapes. After that I went to every gig she did with her new band in the area. Sarah and her parents would talk to everyone . Really lovely family,her dad had left his job to look after sarahs career and what a success. I only met her as a fan but thought she was a gorgeous person. Im off to see her with Van Morrison in Glasgow Scotland on 15 Dec ....yes a great sucess and super player.
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2006 7:32 pm    

I met Sara in St Loius. She's incredible!! And she will make you feel appreciated as a fan. I am still wearing out her cd! Can't wait to see her in Dallas in March, I want my daughter to meet her. My daughter is just 19 and just started learning mid October '06.
Mac Knowles

Almonte,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2006 7:36 pm    

Wow!....have to agree with you, she's a super player. Amazing stuff on a 3 pedal plus knees guitar. I've been watching her feet, looks like a Day setup, or else she uses the B&C pedals a lot. Just goes to show you though what you can do if you really know your way around the odd places on the board.

Mac
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2006 8:19 pm    

James, don't forget to bring her next weekend.

------------------
Gary Shepherd

Carter D-10

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
James Morehead

Post  Posted 3 Dec 2006 10:06 pm    

Yes, I believe she mentioned she played the day setup.

Gary, our club keeps progressing, and there may be a time when we would see a few outside talented guest come for a show. But I doubt we will see it happen next week! So you git ta look at my ugly mug instead!!
Mike Fereday

Newbury, Berkshire, England
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2006 10:15 pm    

Sarah does indeed play the Day set-up and since the beginning of the year she has been playing an SD10 Magnum.

Mike
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2006 11:12 pm    

would there be a DVD that I could purchase?I would like to check her out.James ..that's cool that you're daughter is learning steel,the music world needs more woman playing steel guitar.
Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2006 12:29 am    

I met Sarah and her parents,Arthur and Yvonne, the first time they attended Scotty,s show. I think she was about 14 years of age. She was pickin' real good at that time and has blossomed in to a super picker and entertainer. Her parents are two of the sweetest people I know. Make the Dallas Show if you can to see this young lady perform. You won't be sorry. Jody.

[This message was edited by Jody Sanders on 04 December 2006 at 12:30 AM.]

[This message was edited by Jody Sanders on 04 December 2006 at 12:31 AM.]

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2006 4:07 am    

Sarah was one of my pupils and I have to agree that her father Arthur made some real sacrifices in the early days. He would make a 200 mile round trip every week for several years in order that she could have her regular lessons from me. I taught her using the Day set up which I have used since I first started. Yvonne and Arthur are to be complimented in the way that they have helped in the development of their daughter's career.
James Morehead

Post  Posted 4 Dec 2006 7:41 am    

Ken, I don't think you forgot to teach her anything---she's incredible! Speaks well for you as her teacher!
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2006 8:09 am    

Sarah played our festival 5/6 years ago down here in the Pyrenees
she was the best act of the nite & quite a show-woman
that lady can pick & grin sho nuff good

[This message was edited by CrowBear Schmitt on 04 December 2006 at 08:10 AM.]

Phillip Lee Thompson

Canby, Oregon
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2006 6:36 pm    

Ken Byng,
It takes a Master Teacher to elevate and expand a talent like Sarah. Where on earth
Sir,did you aquire your love of the Pedal Steel Guitar? Who ,besides Jimmy Day,was your inspiration,if I may assume that Jimmy was that?? Please tell us more about yourself. Most Respectfully,
Phillip Thompson,another old Az.gringo.
email --- pnpthompson@yahoo.com
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2006 11:40 am    

Phillip.
My later influences on steel in the late 60's were Buddy E, Tom Brumley, Lloyd Green and Weldon Myrick. Earlier on as a boy it was a guy called Kealoha Life, Hawaiian steel player extraordinaire. The pedal steelers that I have named all have one thing in common - great tone.

I taught pedal steel for close on 15 years to a large number of players, including a number who have gone on to become professional musicians. I gave up teaching due to time constraints but it was pleasurable and rewarding.

Sarah has done really well with her career and I am very proud of what she has achieved. However, we do have some fantastic players in the UK who do not come over to the States to promote themselves or produce prolific recordings. One, Dave Nash, is a unique stylist who has technique that is world class. He rarely plays these days unfortunately. Pete Haywood is another great technician. All I can say is that great UK steel playing does not start and end with Sarah Jory.
Phillip Lee Thompson

Canby, Oregon
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2006 2:44 pm    

Ken,
What a fantastic reply of knowledge for us.
Thank you very much. Your favorites were also some of mine. Early on in your life,it's interesting that Hawaiian was an influence. I dearly loved Hawaii Calls as a boy,and my Wife teaches the Hula as well as the Hawaiian language and culture here in Arizona.
Thank you also for the names of Dave Nash,and Pete Haywood. I will learn more about these Gentlemen. I would love to hear their styles of playing.
It is a privilege to have gained this information from you about our Steel Playing Brothers and Sisters in the U.K.,and most certainly Sir,Yourself.
And always,Mahalo Nui Loa, for Sarah.
Phillip.
Darryl Hattenhauer

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2006 1:39 pm    

Sarah's website http://www.sarahjory.co.uk/

Sarah in action http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xkr2a_sj3

------------------
"The less I was of who I was, the better I felt." -- Leonard Cohen
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2006 10:05 am