| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Inspired by any particular musician?
Gareth Carthew

West Sussex, UK
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2006 9:43 am    

I'm sure it's been the same for most of us at some time. We've heard something and thought "I Like that!!, I'm going to learn to play it".

I've been a fan of Country music for years and also of Pedal Steel in other genres.
There are so many great musicians out there that I thoroughly enjoy.

But, now that I'm looking into all those PSG licks that I always wanted to be able to play, 9 times out of 10 for me it turns out to be Paul Franklin's work.

Does anyone else find that they are drawn a particular player? Or is it far more general for you?

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2006 9:49 am    

Buddy Emmons !
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2006 9:57 am    

I suppose that it's a "generational" thing.

The first steel guitarist (after those unknown steelers on Gene Autrey Movies) that I noticed was "Little Roy Wiggins" on those classic Eddy Arnold recordings. I learned those "ting a lings" religiously, and it resulted in many jobs for me during that era.

I was not signiicantly moved by another steel guitarist until I heard "Nightlife" by Ray Price, with BE on steel. Thats when I knew that "pedals" were a legitimate evolution to the steel guitar.

------------------
www.genejones.com

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2006 10:47 am    

Being from the West Coast when I was growning up, Ralph Mooney was all over the radio on everybody's records. Allthough I don't play like him, he was, still is, and always will be my greatest influence....JH in Va.

------------------
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!

Walter Glockler

Northern New Mexico
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2006 10:59 am    

Bobby Black, Al Perkins, Sneaky Pete.
Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2006 12:03 pm    

Gene-Yes it sure is a generational thing. I was inspired to play the Hawaiian Steel guitar, when a salesman came to my house from Oahu Music and played on a wooden 6 string guitar, "Near my God to Thee" . that inspired me after playing cornet in the school band and heard all the nice chord changes.

Within a year after that, I took lessons from the Alvino Rey Singing guitar Method, notes and songs in it.(I still have it 72 years later)
I saw in the book he was playing with Horace Heidt, so listened to him play his D8 Gibson Grande Console on the radio, That did it. He was the MAN for me.

Then about 25-30 years later, I heard Maurice Anderson, play Body and Soul and other old big band tunes that I had played since 1947 on my Gibson 6 pedal Electra-Harp . I was highly impressed with his great chord style of playing .

Then I personally met the Reece in 1968 and He was just as great a guy as his playing. I would say he was the second inspiration to me after Alvino Rey.

Reece Still is....al

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/

[This message was edited by Al Marcus on 18 November 2006 at 08:06 PM.]

Jim Saunders

Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2006 12:04 pm    

I grew up in Tulsa and Leon McCauliffe was my big hero. I was too young to go to the night clubs, but he did a radio show on KVOO each Saturday and I'd go watch the band do the show. I sat on the front row at the Cimmeron Ballroom watching him do Steel Guitar Rag among others.

------------------
Mullen, Royal Precision, D10, Peavey Nashville 112, DD3, Peavey Session 2000, Goodrich L120 VP.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2006 12:44 pm    

Sneaky, Al Perkins, Rusty Young, and to a smaller extent Buddy Cage and Jerry Garcia. They were the only ones I'd heard much of. I knew of Buddy Emmons but had never heard him until recently, and I knew of Lloyd Green from Sweetheart of the Rodeo, JD Manness from that and the Desert Rose Band, and knew Red Rhodes from his shop and a couple Mike Nesmith records. Oh, and a guy named Cal Hand from a Leo Kottke record.

That was my entire pedal steel experience up until a little over a year ago.

Edited to add - Clarence White. I should have thought of him to start with, but most of my steel playing is closer to my B-Bender playing....which is more in the direction of Clarence and Bob Warford than any other bender player...than it is to any steel playing, except for Sneaky's. So really, if you listen to me the playing is a combination of Sneaky and Clarence influences.

It was actually Steve Gambrell's "Lester Flatt" post that made me think of this.

[This message was edited by Jim Sliff on 20 November 2006 at 09:01 PM.]

Joe Minor

Picayune Mississippi
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2006 2:57 pm    

John Rickard, he is in arizona now but he grew up close to me near pittsburgh. The 1st time I saw him play was the 1st time I saw a pedal steel live and he blew me away. That was about 1979. about 1981 I found a sho bud for sale. some time in 1983 I played with my 1st band and still play every weekend.
Leon Campbell

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2006 3:14 pm    

Bud Isacces first then Ralph Mooney. Moon being the most. I love the way he plays.
I wish he had more inst. records. Thanks, Leon
Mark Edwards

Weatherford,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2006 4:27 pm    

I remember as a kid I would listen to country music (not by choice) but the one thing that caught my attention was the sound of the steel guitar in those earlier country tunes of the 50's - 60's. Then as I got older after learning to play acoustic guitar, I had a hankerin to learn to play the steel (still don't know what drove me to want to learn to play) so at the ripe old age of 44 I took my first lesson and to be honest had never heard of any big names in the steel business.

My first instructor introduced me to Lloyd Green, Buddy Emmons CD's. Then I started to meet some of the local steel players here in the Fort Worth area. So I can honestly say that Lloyd Green is my favorite steel player from CD's.

But my all time favorite steel player and my best friend that inspired me would have to be Mr. Corky Owens, this man doesn't say much, but he let's the steel do the talking for him. Corky has been my mentor and teacher, and has probably saved me a butt load of money from buying all the zoom, zooms and wham, whams that brand new steel players want to buy because they think it will make them play better. Corky taught me that the best sound that comes out of a steel is the natural sound no bells and whistles (except on special tunes). I have taken this inspiration and today after about 2 years of playing steel, I am in a band and have been for about a year, and we are about to go into the studio for the first time to cut a CD. I have a long way to go, but with folks like Corky Owens, Gary Carpenter, Steve Lamb, I can't go wrong. These guys are the best in the business and I try to keep my mouth shut and my ears open so I can watch and learn.
Charles Pompe

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2006 6:42 pm    

Curley Chalker and Big E. Met Chalker mid 70's at one of Scotty's early Steel shows. Unlike many true stories, he was very supportive to a beginner. He was playing his new MSA and messing with it every 2 mins. But GAWD!!! those chords!! I was never the same.

------------------
1973 Emmons P/P D-10, 2005 Carter D-10, Session 500,Nashville 400,Nashville 112

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2006 7:29 pm    

Buddy Emmons and Lloyd Green.
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2006 2:25 am    

Started with Jerry Byrd. Next was Don Helms. Then along came Hughey, Green , Emmons, Myrick, Rugg, Flanz(Sho-Bud album). Those were the early ones. Later I found Franklin, Newman, Maness, Mooney, Jernigan, Anderson , Chalker, Hicks, Crawford. Last couple of years there's been some new names added, Corwin, Stafford, Charleston, Carpenter, Bethel, Justice, Carter, Ousley, Day and some I probably hadn't mentioned. I listen to everybody from Sneaky Pete to Emmons.
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2006 7:46 am    

TB! - got me into it...
Jimmy Day - keeps me huntin'...

[This message was edited by Ray Minich on 19 November 2006 at 07:48 AM.]

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2006 8:24 am    

Maurice Anderson - I heard a cassette of his playing and bought my first MSA S12U that day. Been addicted ever since!!! After that, the Big E and Jeff Newman.
Mike Archer

church hill tn
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2006 8:31 am    

buddy emmons hal rugg mr green
john hughey and paul franklin for sure

Mike Shefrin

Post  Posted 19 Nov 2006 8:52 am    

Gareth,
I would say initialy, JayDee Maness,and Lloyd Green. More recently however,Canadian steelers Bob Lucier, Dale Rivard, and Andy Schick. Interestingly enough, I hear a fair amount of Paul's influence in Dale and Andy's playing.

[This message was edited by Mike Shefrin on 19 November 2006 at 11:29 PM.]

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2006 2:23 pm    

Buddy Emmons.

RR
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2006 2:57 pm    

Lester Flatt.
Bryan Daste

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2006 3:01 pm    

I actually got into steel by way of two "alternative" bands - The Weakerthans http://www.theweakerthans.org
and Cake http://www.cakemusic.com

They both use a pedal steel on a few songs, and being a guitar player at the time, I thought it was just slide guitar with a "Bender". I was doing some research on the B-bender guitars when I came across this video, "E9 tuning De-mystified for guitarists": http://www.steelguitar.com/resource/videos/vids6string.html

I bought myself a Carter Starter for my birthday that year, and I've been going ever since. I hardly ever touch my 6-string anymore.

And since I've become more and more involved in steel guitar, I've found so many great players and been exposed to a world of music I didn't even know was there!

Bryan

------------------
Sierra "HJ Custom" D-10, Peavey Session 500, Goodrich L10k

[This message was edited by Bryan Daste on 19 November 2006 at 03:01 PM.]

Jimmie Martin

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2006 3:57 pm    

bobbe seymour, buddy emmons, and reece anderson. i respect them and their styles.
John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2006 5:58 pm    

My little list would be; Ray Brown, Erroll Garner, Gene Harris and Buddy Emmons.
-John
Colby Tipton

Crosby, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2006 6:28 pm    

Not me, I just started playing lap steel with a band that played progressive country back in the mid 70's, I found the lap steel at a pawn shop up in Grapevine, Texas and figured it would be neat to use in the band. Then I really started hearing steel guitar after that and any player that caught my attention was an inspiration to me. Still that way till this day.
Ron Randall

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2006 6:57 pm    

Don Helms for that wonderful sound with the Driftin'Cowboys. That inspired me to one day learn how.

Reece Anderson. He has shown me many of the infinite possiblities.

Ron