| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  B.J. Cole with Jim Lauderdale
Bob Miano

Bergenfield, N.J. (home of "some" country music) - deceased
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2006 8:25 pm    

I happened to see a live DVD of Jim Lauderdale from Germany (The Ohne Filter Series). I have always liked Jim Lauderdale going back to his days when he played in the country bars in New York City. He is a talented songwriter as well as a singer. As an extra treat, there was a steel player in his band (B.J. Cole).
He played some real tasty stuff and was featured a whole bunch. Great close ups too ! I am not familiar with B J Cole
other than this concert. Does anyone know
anything about him? Where he's from, who else he might have played with, etc ?
If you get a chance, this is a nice live show to see. I found it (and rented it)
on NetFlix.
Thanks for any info you may have,
Bob Miano
Derby/Zum D-10
Greg Simmons

where the buffalo (used to) roam AND the Mojave
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2006 8:31 pm    

http://www.bjcole.co.uk/
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2006 12:54 am    

Just some of the artists B.J. has worked with:-

Alabama 3.... Terry Allen...Dot Allison...Tasmin Archer...Joan Armatrading...Richard Ashcroft...Kevin Ayers...Mike Batt...Beautiful South...Beck...Bent...Bjork...Peter Blegvad...Bloodstone...Colin Blunstone...Marc Bolan...Andy Bown...Boy George ...Brinsley Schwarz...Garth Brooks...Harold Budd...Chris De Burgh...Bernard Butler...Cactus Rain...John Cale...Eliza Carthy...Celtus...The Christians...Michael Chapman...Allan Clarke...Cochise...Christine Collister...Roger Cook...Julian Cope...Billy Connolly...Elvis Costello...Andrew Cronshaw...Roger Daltrey..Deacon Blue...Decameron...Delta 5...Depeche Mode...Dexy’s Midnight Runners...Kiki Dee...Barbara Dixon...Dizrythmia...Ken Dodd...Doll By Doll...Val Doonican...Echobelly...Graeme Edge...Dave Edmunds...Marc Ellington...Joe Ely...Brian Eno...Euphoria...Everything But The Girl...Andy Fairweather Low...Marianne Faithfull...Freddy Fender...Neil Finn...Free...French & Saunders...Furslide...Jimmie Dale Gilmore...David Gilmour...Gorky’s Zygotic Mynci... David Gray...The Grid...Groove Armada...Johnny Halliday...Butch Hancock...George Hamilton 1V...Hanson...Roy Harper...Rolf Harris...Emmylou Harris...Alex Harvey...Benny Hill...Jools Holland...Nellie Hooper...Humble Pie...Elton John...Olivia Newton John...Davey Johnstone...KLF...Kiri Te Kanawa...Paul Kennerley...David Knopfler...Mark Knopfler...Labradford...KD lang.....Albert Lee...Alvin Lee...Level 42...Jerry Lee Lewis...Love & Money...Magna Carta...Billy Ray Martin...Lena Martell...Ian Matthews...Wes McGhee...Rory McLeod...Ralph McTell...Medicine Head...Merz...Microdisney...Mojave 3...Montrose Avenue...Moody Blues...Jimmy Nail...Johnny Nash...Nazareth...Des O’Connor...The Orb...Marie Osmond...Dolly Parton...Alan Parsons Project...Pet Shop Boys...Robert Plant...Michel Polnareff...Prelude...Charlie Pride...Maddy Prior...Procol Harum...Gerry Rafferty...REM...Tom Robinson...Charlie Rich...Tim Rose...Andy Roberts...Demis Roussos...Peter Sarstedt...Leo Sayer...Alexie Sayle...Showaddywaddy...
Peter Sinfield...Spiritualized...Adam Snyder..Squeeze...Stealer’s Wheel...Shakin Stevens...Al Stewart...Sting...The Stranglers...Joe Strummer...
David Sylvian...Trapeze ...Shania Twain ...Tracey Ullman...Uriah Heep...Bobby Valentino...
Luke Vibert...The Verve...Scott Walker...Roger Waters...Loudon Wainwright 111...Hank Wangford...Clifford T Ward...Jimmy Webb...
Wet,Wet,Wet...Robbie Williams...Jimmy Witherspoon...Jah Wobble...
Womack & Womack...The Wombles...Link Wray...Tammy Wynette...Bob Young...Paul Young ...Hector Zazou...

Of course there are many more who wished
they had had B.J. playing for them.
A massive player and a true gentleman.
Baz
Stephan Franck

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2006 7:42 am    

My introduction to BJ Cole was on a mid 80's album by Freddy Steady KRC called Lucky Seven. Wes McGhee was on guitar. The whole thing was absolutelly brilliant. The album came out on a now defunct texas label called Amazing Records.

That label had other obscure gems such as 2 or 3 albums by Ponty Bone. Man I miss that label, and unfortunatelly those records were never reissued on CD!!!

------------------
www.mojaveroad.net
Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2006 8:04 am    

BJ is really one of the unique voices of steel guitar. I'm always amazed that he doesn't get more attention than he does.

And even though it didn't represent that more unique side of his playing, the couple of Hank Wangford shows I saw were brilliant!
Greg Simmons

where the buffalo (used to) roam AND the Mojave
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2006 2:46 pm    

here's a Youtube clip of BJ w/Emmylou Harris
Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2006 2:00 pm    

Check out the Gerry Rafferty hit from the 70s 'Right Down the Line'. It has a memorable 'guitar' hook that is actually B.J. on pedal steel (sounds like a sho bud to me). The only way you can tell it's not a guitar is at the very end of the hook when he hits the pedals to resolve.

------------------
www.tyack.com

[This message was edited by Dan Tyack on 24 October 2006 at 03:53 PM.]

Howard Kalish

Austin, Tx USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2006 7:34 pm    

Stephen - Freddy Steady (aka Freddy Krc) put out Lucky 7 on CD and it's at this website. Like you said, it's a great record.
http://www.fatpete.com/music/freddiesteady_lucky7.php

HK
Gerald Menke

Stormville NY, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2006 8:46 am    

Other than watching Hee Haw when I was a kid in the early 70s, the first time I saw someone play pedal steel on on TV was on that way too good to last TV show hosted by David Sanborn, Night Music. One show featured BJ playing with John Cale, I remember being MOST intrigued by what he was doing, this was in 1987. That guy really has played with everybody.
Iain

Edinburgh, Scotland
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2006 6:15 am    

Just watched this very DVD last night. GREAT playing, by BJ!

And Jim Lauderdale is a wonderful singer/writer, who will be gigging in Edinburgh (solo, sadly) next week.

Very good DVD, really!