| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nashville Super Guitars
Darrell Owens

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2006 9:32 pm    

I have a CD that I picked up a few years ago at The Earnest Tubb Record Store titled "Searchin' For Elvis". IT is 13 of the greatest cuts I've ever heard of Elvis tunes. There are no credits on the CD. Just say "Nashville Super Guitars". Does anyone know who these players are? Please help me out. I've been listening to this CD and it is driving me crazy trying to figure out who the players are.

------------------
Darrell Owens
www.darrellowens.com
T. C. Furlong

Lake County, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2006 4:33 am    

I'm going to venture a guess about how this record got made and why there are no credits. It makes sense that this was probably cut "under the radar" meaning that it was a buy out. The musicians probably got a fee to play on it and then no back end. No points, no residuals...nothin'. Truthfully, I have mixed feelings about records that get made this way. I realize that without this "arrangement" these great records would probably not get made and released. I also wish that there was enough support for an instrumental album to command a real record deal. Who was the last big time instrumental artist? Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass?

Here is another record from the same label CMH Records:

Wouldn't you like to know who played on this baby?
TC
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2006 5:08 am    

Kenny G sells a huge amount of instrumental records. He also has a real record deal.
T. C. Furlong

Post  Posted 27 Oct 2006 8:09 am    

Bill, you're right... although I wish you hadn't opened the Kenny G. door. Here goes nothin'. After hearing Kenny overdub his horn on a Louis Armstrong song, Pat Metheny wrote "By disrespecting Louis, his legacy and by default, everyone who has ever tried to do something positive with improvised music and what it can be, Kenny G has created a new low point in modern culture - something that we all should be totally embarrassed about".

And in Waynes World, Garth mentions Kenny G. and imagines himself in a theatre audience being drilled by a dentist while listening to a soprano saxophone instrumental. It does state in the credits that Kenny G. did not play on the soundtrack.

Richard Thompson takes a shot at Kenny G. in his song "I Agree With Pat Metheny, Kenny's Talent's Are Too Teeny".

Just having a little fun with "the musician that musicians love to hate"

Oh ya, one more thing. Kenny G. is ranked by the RIAA as the 25th highest selling artist in America of all time with 48 million records sold. I'll bet he's OK with being ridiculed all the way to the bank.
TC
Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2006 8:15 am    

Hey TC..what's up?

Darrell,

These are recorded in Nashville, TN

The guitarist and producer is a picker named Mark Thornton. He is a fantastc guitar player.

He uses PSG players regularly on these projects (Steve Wilkerson - he is/was with the Whites), Robby Turner)...

[This message was edited by Tim Harr on 27 October 2006 at 09:21 AM.]

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2006 8:24 am    

Actually, a lot of CMH tribute or "pickin' on" recordings are done on the west coast. David West, who has played for years in the Cache Valley Drifters, is a CMH producer - he'll lay down the basic tracks and pull guys in from around the L.A. country/bluegrass scene on various projects. I know J.D. Manness has played on at least one or two; Gabe Witcher on fiddle has done some...a bunch of the "regulars" that play McCabe's in Santa Monica seem to find their way onto the CD's as well. It's hard to pin all of them down, as the credits aren't usually listed, but I'm fairly sure Howard Yearwood and Bill Knopf have both been involved at times.
Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2006 9:31 am    

If it is all west coast players...kinda spoils the name of the band "Nashville Super Pickers" huh?

I have some early recorded projects with the aforementioned player from Nashville - I mentioned earlier.

They are all good players..
Jim Hankins

Yuba City, California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2006 9:41 am    

Not to drift too much, but IMO the "pickin on" titles really vary, in quality and content, and particularly quantity of steel guitar. However, That Clapton "tribute" is a good one as is the Skynard "tribute" ,lots of good steel!
Darrell Owens

California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2006 8:31 pm    

Tim, Thanks for the information on "Searchin' For Elvis". It was my informed guess that these were "unfer the radar" recordings, but I was hoping I might lure one or two of the "pickers" to "fess up" and take a bow for a super performance. It has given me hours of "ear candy" while driving from one town to another. I keep that CD in the changer.

------------------
Darrell Owens
www.darrellowens.com
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2006 7:18 pm    

T.C., I haven't looked at my "Tribute to Clapton" CD in a long time, but I thought the credits were listed on it. I think I remember that Johnny Cox played on a couple and Gary Morse on some.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording

T. C. Furlong

Post  Posted 30 Oct 2006 6:41 am    

Thanks Darvin. If you do find it, I'd be interested to know the credits.
TC