| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Has this ever happened to you?
Pat Richardson

Paxton, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2006 12:26 am    

I am the band leader for the week end house band at the club where I play music. As every one knows musicians come and go for one reason or another. It is my responcability to keep the band sounding as good as possible and some times it just is the best for all and you just have to let some one go.

This indivisual (who shall remain nameless as far as the fourm goes) I gave a proper 2 week notice and told them things were just not working out. On the last night they worked I discovered that my truck had been vandelized and some damage done to it.

I guess this is the thanks I get for giving a person proper notice. And the sad part this indvisual plays a decent steel. Has this type of thing ever happened to anyone out there that they would like to share with out getting in to personal IDs? Thanks Pat

------------------
SD-10 GFI Ultra, Peavey Session 400 Limited

[This message was edited by Pat Richardson on 16 October 2006 at 01:27 AM.]

[This message was edited by Pat Richardson on 16 October 2006 at 01:28 AM.]

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2006 1:59 am    

are you certain it was the individual in question that did the damage ?

and no, I have never been witness to this type of behavior if in fact it was the Musician in question that did it.

Musicians come and go, thats a constant in our little piece of the planet.

I was speaking with our band leader the other night and I remarked how amazing it is that going on 3 years now we have all been together...and actually still talk to one another !

Playing in a band is no different than a DAY gig..you know if you fit it in and are doing a good job and are having fun...

I think it is wise to get a replacement player before advising of the PENDING layoff..my experience has been that if a player knows they are out (2 week notice) they will NOT show up at the next gig and leave you hi and dry. This is not brain science .

I was let go from three bands thru my hack career, mostly early on... a phone call a thank you and a goodbye. The first time because I actually couldn't play Steel,( said I could) and the next two because they wanted to get an original band member back in the group, which was fine by me. I remain friends with two of the party's involved, the 3rd I didn't know real well to begin with, very casual at best.

The first band that fired me, hired me back again two years later and I worked on and off with them for over 10 years.

There is no easy way to cut the cord, so just cut it next time.

I hate that your gear was messed with...

------------------
------------------
TPrior
TPrior Steel Guitar Homesite

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 16 October 2006 at 03:12 AM.]

Sidney Ralph Penton

Moberly, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2006 4:37 am    

well thats the way i see it. get a replacement set for a certain date and then tell the other one their out. most people that have a night gig has something going during the day as well. its not like your leaving them with out a income. then again i knew a guitar player lead part that walked off at intemission. needless to say he won't be back in forever. he was a excellent lead player too and this really upset the audience a lot too. he lost a lot of fans there that night. sometimes its best to do whats best instead of whats right. one time when i was driving a truck the boss fired a guy when he was in ok. and another team was to come through and bring the truck back to ark. well he got up the next morning and headed for ark. just outside of little rock the state police was going to pull him over for speeding. he wouldn't stop. he kept going. they shot that truck so many times the truck and trailer was totaled not go mention the freight was a loss too. sometimes you have to do whats good for you instead of doing whats right. just my oppinon.

------------------
zum SD10 peavy session 400 peavy XR600G
if its not a zum steel it isn't real
just trying to steel for the Lord>

Herbie Meeks

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2006 7:37 am    

Another twist to answer your question, The band I was playing Steel with in one of the most popular clubs in that area near, San Jose,CA, good pay for a 3 night week end gig.as the band members all had day jobs. Another band wanted our gig, they had made a deal with the owner to play the 3 nights for less money, But they were obliged to play one more week end at their present gig,
Our band showed up on time, Fri.night, the club already packed with customers,and many of our fans. 20 minutes before kick off time, the Club owner informed us, this would be our last week end, as the other band would be there the following week end,
Our Band discussed this for about 10 minutes,decided to pack up our equipment, and move on, which we did, as the club owner was offering more money if we would just stay for the week end, Needless to say most of His crowd also walked out, He tried but could not find a replacement band, lost the whole week end, Our band members were all Freelancers. as were most nusicians in those days on the West Coast, no problem finding a week end gig, or a steady one,
And yes, I have met many jealous musicians while working like that, ((( Suspects only, I had some damage done to my vehicle a couple times,))) when I had been hired , with a new group, not knowing I was replacing a member until after the fact,

Ahhh ,But those were the good old days.

Herbie

------------------
Tracy Sheehan

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2006 10:32 am    

I walked off the band stand in the middle of the job one night.
It was break time.
George Rout

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2006 12:28 pm    

Tracy, you'd make a good civil servant!!!!!
George
Chuck Hall

Warner Robins, Ga, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2006 1:01 pm    

Core of my group has been together 25+ years. The two newcommers have been with me for almost 10 years. Just call me lucky.

------------------
Chuck
Country Fever Band

Pat Richardson

Paxton, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2006 7:53 pm    

Tony to awncer your question , I am sure it was the same person that did the damage because I had a third partie eye witness inform me and also the police took there statement.

And also the person that I hired to replace the party I got rid of was able to start at any time. I was just trying to give the party I got rid of professional courtsy . I guess thats a lot more than what I got in the end ! Thanks pat

------------------

[This message was edited by Pat Richardson on 16 October 2006 at 08:54 PM.]

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2006 8:27 pm    

This is always a horribly sticky situation.

I have always thought, after seeing this done wrong many times,
that the player should be told they day after a gig,
and with sufficent lead time to the next gig,
so that
tempers can cool, or at least be judged
relative to 2 week notice periods,
and that the replacement is on line
if things go badly.

Some people are pro about moving on,
others are not.
Some people inspite of personal or musical conflicts,
invest a much greater, and often unwarrented, personal value to the gig,
and take it MUCH worse when their is time called.

Some people deal with the nearly departed
in a profesional and KINDLY manner,
others just give you the brush off.

I've seen a band van torched, filled with instruments too.
And houses with all the ground floor windows smashed.

It is also to some extent how couth the band leader is
in doing the 'personel' job.

I got a road gig once,I thought,
I worked for 3 weeks, 5 days a week,
learning 75 songs and harmonies,
and getting compliments after every rehearsal.
Everybody apparently got along well.

I was leaving for 3 months tour on Saturday
And Friday night my friends had a small going way party for me.

Next AM the band leader calls and said that
he found a bassplayer friday night,
who sang 35 songs, and they would go do Saturday's gig unrehearsed.

You're fired.
Oh, and no pay for the 3 weeks of rehearsals for nothing.
He says as an after thought...

Now I didn't go and trash his car, or his house.
But DAMN I woulda LOVED to punch his lights out that morning....
I didn't,
and I would never recommended him for a gig anywhere anytime.

He took my time and efforts, put NO value on them,
arbitrarily dropped me at literally the last minute,
and he KNEW about the going away party,
and the embarrasment this would cause me.

He of course called himself Professional.

[This message was edited by David L. Donald on 16 October 2006 at 09:32 PM.]

Klaus Caprani

Copenhagen, Denmark
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2006 11:03 pm    

I lost a gig once by holding the bandleader acountable for the troubles I had saving my own a.., as he didn't keep his promises towards me. (Had something to do with equipment transportation which he promised to take care of - Instead he just let it be, and subsequently had the drummer and myself stressing wildly to make that ekstra trip).

Small minded people don't like to be reminded, or held acountable, when they screw up.

I had some rehearsals for that first gig, which went musically splendid, anyhow. That professional victory apparantly wasn't enough to save his pride, so he subsequently just got another player in, not even informing me. The phone just didn't ring no more.

Imagine how I'll waste this guys time, if he ever puts himself in a position for me to do so

------------------
Klaus Caprani

MCI RangeXpander S-10 3x4
www.klauscaprani.com

[This message was edited by Klaus Caprani on 17 October 2006 at 12:04 AM.]

Pat Richardson

Paxton, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2006 11:53 am    

Special thanks to every one that has so far replyed to this thred. It makes me feel a little bit better to know that I am not the only one out here that has been abused in this mannor! thanks agian pat

------------------
Mike Richardson

Rutledge, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2006 12:20 pm    

Hey Pat..Sorry to hear about your trouble...I wish I could find a band to get fired from..

Mike Richardson
1993 Emmons D-10 LaGrandll
2004 Emmons SD-10 Lagrande ll
Peavey Nashville1000 and Nashville 112
Pat Richardson

Paxton, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2006 7:43 pm    

Hey Mike, I guess I have been lucky. The club I work at I have been there 10 years and almost 3 years as band leader. We a kind of a knovelty club because were the only place for about a 100 miles around that I know of to continue to have traditional country music on a regular basis. This Saturday the establishment will celebrate 60 years in buisness. thanks for your reply! pat

------------------
James Cann

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2006 7:29 pm    

Interesting thread. Many of the posts reminded me of my former work as a computer leasing broker, a telemarketing scene, where our word was our bond. We worked an online forum like this one, posting equipment searches and availabilities, along with names and phones for contact.

Individuals who misrepresented or reneged or acted abusively soon found their names on posts such as, "Before doing business with N_____, contact N_______," or "Comments available about doing business with N__________. Contact N______ at N______, etc."

In fairness, this went both ways: good news or bad, and it worked. Details were need-to-know, confidential between appropriate parties, much like business does routinely, keeping ducks in order to avoid slander or libel. I never heard of any straightshooters brought to task, only the outlaws.

Should we practice this? Not for me to say, but I welcome anyone who alerts me specifically to a bad scene.

[This message was edited by James Cann on 22 October 2006 at 09:27 AM.]

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2006 10:01 am    

Hate tu be pikey bot da spelin' in sum uf da treads (abufe) leefs a liddle tu bee desyred...or do dey jist axidintley hit da rong kee's ?