| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Keith Hilton's new CD with Gary Atkinson
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2006 5:17 pm    

I've been really enjoying my copy of Keith's new CD with Gary Atkinson, called "Staring at the Moon". It is chock-full of top-quality, original shuffles that Ray Price is gonna wish he had recorded first. The band is excellent, the songwriting is first-rate (esp. the title cut which Keith and Gary co-wrote but many, many others too) and Keith's steel playing is spot-on. If you like shuffles in the Ray Price tradition, you should definitely pick up a copy. Perhaps Keith will add to this thread and tell y'all where to get it.

Oh, and the cover photo of the two twin babies is adorable. Keith 'splained to me at the ISGC that he and Gary figured that would be a much more attractive photo than looking at a picture of the two old farts who made the recording. Good move, guys!
John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2006 4:32 pm    

Jim, Gary and Keith are long time friends of mine and I wrote one of the songs on the album. Therefore, I have been offering the CD on my website. I have a full page devoted to the album.

------------------
www.home.earthlink.net/~johnd37

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2006 8:20 pm    

I've been enjoying this CD. Fine musicians and well written tunes with great arrangements. No doubt it would be a worthy CD, since Terry Bethel produced it.
Dennis
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2006 8:58 am    

Thanks for your kind words about my CD. Jim, John, Dennis--you guys are the great players, not me. You guys could out pick me with one hand tied behind your back. We produced this CD with the hope that singers out there in Radio Land would record these original songs. I will have to agree the band is no ordinary band, the pickers are pretty famous in their own right. I am probably the weakest link in the band. If you have a singer in your band,and they are cutting a CD, please turn them on to the 10 original songs on our CD. My advise to singers is to use some new material. Repeating old Ray Price songs will only get you so far. The world already has a Ray Price and he is wonderful. I think our songs are as good or better than the best of Ray Price's songs. We also have a female version of these songs done by LuAnn Turner, and it will blow your socks OFF. John, I know you don't have a copy of LuAnn's CD, I don't have one either, they are selling like crazy, and I sold out last Friday. Should be getting some more in this week and I will send you a copy. John has sound samples of the CD on his web site, and I also have sound samples on my web site www.hiltonelectronics.com Thanks

[This message was edited by Keith Hilton on 18 September 2006 at 09:59 AM.]

[This message was edited by Keith Hilton on 18 September 2006 at 10:00 AM.]

Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 18 Sep 2006 9:05 am    

Jim, glad you like the picture of the two naked twin babes on the CD cover. When I saw that picture, I new it had to be on the cover of our CD.
Gary Atkinson

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2006 4:59 pm    

Hello,
Wish I could have been at the steel convention in St. Louis.Jim,Keith said the music you played made his hair curl and he still has a lot of it.I still play around here in Arkansas but I was busy that weekend.Don't you guys let ol'Keith sell you short.He plays a lot of unique and imaginative licks.On our cd he didn't want to do something everyone else had already done.He didn't have a chance to rehearse the songs so he just sat down and played what he felt.I've been lucky to have Keith for a friend and steel man for almost 40 years.If you think its easy coning up with new kick-offs and rides on original songs,try it sometime.Oh yeah,Keith has these cd's without the steel part on them ,order one...I've played jobs with Keith where he could let his hair down and he amazes me with what he can do on E 9TH neck.He uses his Pro-flex and volumn pedal to pull everything together just right.
Thanks to all of you for the comments on our cd.
Gary Atkinson
Jerry Lee Newberry

Prim, AR USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2006 5:49 am    

My favorite song on the CD is " Leave it at Goodbye "

Donna
Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 20 Sep 2006 5:29 pm    

Thank you Donna. Why don't you sing it for us at the Baxter Show?
Gary Atkinson

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2006 6:56 pm    

Donna,If you would sing that song in Baxter Springs and get Jerry and Austin to play it I will applaud and cheer like nothin' you ever heard,I might even ask Keith to dance with me.Gary A.
John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2006 5:04 am    

Gary,I think you better reconsider that dance. I heard a rumor that Keith was one of the original Rockettes. He might kick a little too high for you.
That might be an "original kickoff" that you don't want.

------------------
www.home.earthlink.net/~johnd37

Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 21 Sep 2006 12:56 pm    

John, I sent you one of the new CDs we did with LuAnn Turner-The Diva of Texas Dance Hall Music. Some say she out sang Gary. Gary and I were there coaching her. John, I am playing this Friday and Saturday at the big town Fair in Gainsville, Missouri. I have played that show for several years now. Started playing it with Don Sullivan who was in the movies with Roy Rogers. Really fun band to play with, they let me go crazy on E9th.
ray qualls

Baxter Springs, Kansas (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2006 1:46 pm    

OK Gary & Keith! I checked with City Hall and they told me there is a city ordinance that says "Quote", If two guys dances together inside the city limits, the ugliest one has to lead! "UnQuote". I know that Donna will sing the song but you guys are going to have to "DUKE" it out as to who's the ugliest! Ray

------------------
Ray Qualls
President(KSGA) www.rayqualls.com

[This message was edited by ray qualls on 21 September 2006 at 02:47 PM.]

Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 23 Sep 2006 2:31 pm    

Well, I have more hair than Gary, even though it is white! But Gary is much more handsome than me.
John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2006 3:50 pm    

Here they are.... but I can't tell which one is leading ????

Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 23 Sep 2006 7:39 pm    

I'm the fat one on the right.