| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  TV - Opry Live - White, Crisp, Sergent, Douglas
John LeMaster

North Florida
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2006 1:44 am    

The "Opry Live" show on GAC TV last night, 09/16/06, was a birthday tribute for George Jones'. Pedal steel was much in evidence on most acts. There was also some fine dobro by Tommy White, and by Jerry Douglas with Alison Krauss and Union Station.

As for PSG, Tommy White, Terry Crisp, and Tim Sergent were the proverbial 'icing on the cake'. All three were UP in the audio mix, and were all featured on solos. (Some killer fills, too, of course).

At the end of the telecast, the Possum, himself, sings "He Stopped Loving Her Today".

Opry Live will be replayed at noon Sunday, EDT, and at least a couple of other times. You can check the GACTV.com website for the schedule.

**Edited to add: On the replay at noon Sunday, I just heard the 1st song of the show, "White Lightnin'" by Joe Diffie (which I missed on the first broadcast). Joe's steel player did the intro and half of the ride, and sounded mighty good. Didn't get his name, unfortunately.

John L.

[This message was edited by John LeMaster on 17 September 2006 at 08:55 AM.]

George Duncan Sypert

Colo Spgs, Co, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2006 7:50 am    

Tim's tone on his Mullen was the very best that I personally have ever heard on a Mullen guitar. I would like to know what he was running the signal through. I know Mullen guitars are great guitars but this one was exceptional. The others were great as well but the Mullen knocked me out.
Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2006 2:10 pm    

John,the steel player with Joe Diffie was my friend Vic Lawson...I thought he did a great job too!

------------------
http://home.comcast.net/~steves_garage

John LeMaster

North Florida
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2006 4:03 pm    

Thanks, Steve, for the info. Vic did a fine job on a song that uses a lot of hot guitar in most arrangements I've heard, but not always much steel. He nailed it.

John L.

Mike Archer

church hill tn
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2006 4:32 am    

i saw this show also
it was so good to hear the steel
up in the mix so well
the guy on the mullen had a great tone
as did all the others
i would like to see more good
ole country on the goo instead of
some of the newer ones.....yea i know
im one of them old farts
go figure
Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2006 7:26 am    

i think the derby had the best tone to me.
was that terry crisp playing ? also, i like
tommy's msa tone too what amps do these guys
playing through

p.w
kyle reid

Butte,Mt.usa
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2006 8:32 am    

I have a very elaborate sound system, and Tims Mullen was hands down, the best tone of the show! kr
Dave Seddon

Leicester, England.
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2006 8:32 am    

I don't suppose anybody did a video of it? I'd love to see that, we get nothing like that over here.
Cheers Dave.
Tim Sergent

Hendersonville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2006 8:57 am    

Thanks everybody for the kind words. That was my new Mullen G2 Prototype that I was playing and I must say it is one awesome machine. It plays so smooth with such short pedal travel it's amazing. I've got George L EONS's in it mainly to keep the hum down on some of the stages we play, but for humbuckers they sound pretty darn good I think. I didn't use any effects at all...just straight out of my volume pedal into the Webb amp that everybody uses at the Opry. What an honor it was to get to do a show like that with George Jones sitting in the front row listening while you're playing one of his songs. Not to mention extremely nerve wracking!...(did I spell that right?) It was also a great honor to get to share the steel position with two of my heroes...Tommy White and Terry Crisp and my Dobro hero Jerry Douglas.

Thanks again for the kind words!

God Bless you all,

Tim
Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2006 9:35 am    

Was Jason Roller on guitar with Vic and Joe Diffie??

He is a killer lead player - and fiddle player!
Jennings Ward

Edgewater, Florida, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2006 9:41 am    

THANKS FOR THIS POST JOHN,, I TOO REALLY ENJOYED THE STEEL PLAYERS EMENSLEY......
AND THANKS AGAIN,,,JW U PK;;;;;;;;;;;;;

------------------
EMMONS D10 10-10 profex 2 deltafex ne1000 pv1000, pv 31 bd eq, + D'ANGELICO
N. 400

Vic Lawson

White House, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2006 1:09 pm    

Thank's guys. Yes Tim that is Jason playing lead, a very talented guy. As Tim Sergent said, it was a great experience. For me though the Opry is always a little unerving but with all the great steel players there that night,it was a little more intense. Thanks again and Steve give me a call sometime.
George Duncan Sypert

Colo Spgs, Co, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2006 6:56 pm    

Tim thanks for responding to this thread. Your tone was outstanding. I am glad to know that is was something new and to know the pickups used with no effects. A tone to die for. Your playing was flawless also.

Terry's Derby guitar also sounded great. He hit some great licks. Very distinct separation. The steels were up in the mix and all sounded good but the Mullen really stood out to my ears. I may have to drive up and see Del and the group.

Tommy's guitar always sounds great as would be expected when you get to hear it.

Vic I have watched the rerun 3 times already and have managed to miss your part all 3 times. I friend called and let me hear it over the phone and it sounded pretty hot to me. Maybe I will catch it on the next rerun.

[This message was edited by George Duncan Sypert on 18 September 2006 at 08:00 PM.]

Tommy R. Butler

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2006 6:43 pm    

All I can say is i Listened several times and all I heard was !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Image hosted by Webshots.com
by

[This message was edited by Tommy R. Butler on 21 September 2006 at 02:17 PM.]

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2006 10:48 pm    

What a great show! I was amazed by every steel solo! It was definitely a great night for steel. Tim, I love the Mullen you played with Dierks and I loved how Dierks said "Tim Sergent on steel guitar". It was definitely a great night for the steel guitar. Brett, Emmons S-10, Morrell lapsteel, GFI Ultra D-10-aka "Redgold Beauty"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Tim Sergent

Hendersonville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2006 6:56 am    

Hey, Brett!
How are ya? I see where you are gonna be playing the NTSGA show on Oct.7th....I'm in town that weekend (did I just say I'm gonna be in town on a weekend!!!) We are doing the Grand Ol Opry that Saturday and it's the TV portion which means I have to do camera blocking/soundcheck at 3:00 or so, but I'm gonna try to come to the show early to hear you play, then go do soundcheck and then try to come back after soundcheck, then go do the TV spot, then come back over to the show and hopefully get to hear Paul play, then I'll probably have a late spot on the Opry so I'll have to get back over for that. Sounds like a lot of running back and forth, but it'll be worth it! I'll look for you when I get there. Looking forward to meeting you.

Take care,

Tim

p.s.

You're right...it is really cool for Dierks to mention our names on these shows. He did it when he won the Horizon Award too. He wants it to be really a band vibe type thing...not to mention he loves steel guitar! He even wore a Sho-Bud shirt on one of the award shows.
Dave Burr

League City, TX
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2006 7:29 am    

I watched it too and was thrilled to see so much steel guitar... as well as it being up front in the mix for a change! All the guys did great! I remember the first time I saw Tim, he was working for Larry Boone... He was great back then too.

Tim ~ Shoot me an email if you get a chance. I used to work with your brother Carl in Virginia and we lost touch several years ago ~ I sure would like to know how he's doing and maybe get an email address, etc. ~ He brought me to one of Larry's concerts to see you play one time ~ He was sooo proud of you!

Respectfully,
Dave Burr