| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What Steel Player do you like?
Ron Scott

Michigan
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2006 12:49 pm    

Don't know how to say this but here goes.Just want to know how many of you players out there really enjoy your own playing as much or more than anyone else's? Not to seem conceited but really enjoy what you can do yourself.Just want to hear some feed back..RS

------------------
Steeling with Franklin's
Jerry Lee Newberry

Prim, AR USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2006 2:51 pm    

I don't know about likeing their playing MORE than anyone else, but I sure like to listen to Jerry and Austin. It makes me very proud as a grandmother to hear what Austin can do. He amazes us all the time. I think Jerry & others have done a VERY GOOD job helping Austin. Donna ( wife & meme )
Sonny Priddy

Elizabethtown, Kentucky, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2006 3:12 pm    

I Love Them All. SONNY.

------------------
Ron Scott

Michigan
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2006 7:43 am    

I like most of them myself and I have favorites too but Having played 30 or more years myself,I still like it when I really get into doing fresh material. I know the steel players I like must have the same feeling at times with their own playing over anyone else's.RS

------------------
Steeling with Franklin's
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2006 8:13 am    

I like all steel players, and there is something to admire in all of them. The exception is that I have never played anything in my entire career that I would not have wanted to do over with the hope that it would be better.

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 09 September 2006 at 09:49 AM.]

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2006 1:33 am    

I've known several players that really loved their own playing and usually they were pretty hard to play with and even harder to be around. I like my playing about once a year that is if I have a good year so the rest of the time I spend playing trying to get better. I hope someday it helps.

Bob
Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2006 7:37 am    

Ron-I feel the same as Gene Jones. I like most all of the steel players I have heard.

I am never quite satisfied with anything I played.

I always wished I had done something different or in a better way.

However, I do enjoy playing the steel guitar and I enjoy playing my favorite tunes. It is a great instrument...al

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/

[This message was edited by Al Marcus on 02 September 2006 at 08:39 AM.]

Ron Scott

Michigan
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2006 3:16 pm    

Gene and Al, I also always think I could have done something better when I record it but my thought was when you are at home and just feel everything you are playing.I have heard things done by both of you and you are great players.I'm sure Buddy Emmons and Paul Franklin and all the rest of the great pickers feel they could have done things different.Mr Martin has the wrong idea of what I am talking about because I don't mean someone who is playing out with a band and thinking (everyone look at me how great I play)...I have never felt that way in over 35 years of playing in bands...Thanks everyone for your input...Ron

------------------
Steeling with Franklin's
Lyle Bradford

Gilbert WV USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2006 4:30 pm    

Mine is the one who is playing at the moment!
Tracy Sheehan

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2006 4:31 pm    

I would think it is what style of music one likes.I like them all but have to agree with Bobbe Seymour that some styles have been played into the ground.One great thing about being retired is i will never have to play Silver Wings again.
But the other side of the coin is my son still playes some weekends and he doesn't care much for country music.Likes what used to be pop and real jazz.Any hoo he told me he worked with a new band last week end with young players and they coulden't get the people to dance.The band leader ask my son what they were doing wrong.My son said nothing.Just play Silver Wings.They did and the dance floor filled up.LOL.True story.
Edited for typo error.

[This message was edited by Tracy Sheehan on 03 September 2006 at 05:33 PM.]

Chris Castle

Paintsville,Ky
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2006 6:39 pm    

I just enjoy listening to other steel players and listening to their styles as well as their runs. I have only been playing for 4 years, as i am only 14. I love to try to figure out complicated runs that i hear other steelers play. But as i said, i just enjoy the sound of a good cryin' steel song. (i like upbeat stuff too!)

------------------
Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2006 6:54 pm    

Moving to Steel Players
[url=http://plugin.smileycentral.com/http%253A%252F%252Fwww.smileycentral.com%252F%253Fpartner%253DZSzeb008%255FZNxdm825%2526i%253D12%252F12%255F7%255F21%2526feat%253Dprof/page.ht ml]SmileyCentral.com[/url]
Pete Young

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2006 7:19 pm    

Another kid on steel Is that not great to hear or what The only time I can say I liked my playing was when I did a lick that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up I knew I had done it well
Les Anderson

The Great White North
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2006 7:23 pm    

My vote would have to go to Billy Cooper. He has a very smooth style and way of getting the most in emotion from his machine. Some people could play their steel guitar for a hundred years but still not be able to get the steel to do what he does. At times, he picks so softly you can’t even tell if he is using his picks or not. He also does not clutter up his music with extra picking to try and show his talent.

------------------
(I am not right all of the time but I sure like to think I am!)

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2006 7:31 pm    

Reece!!

------------------
Warning: I have a Telecaster and I'm not afraid to use it.
-----------
My web site

Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2006 7:34 am    

Tracy your right,If you play Silver Wings and they don't dance,might as well pack up and go home.
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2006 7:39 am    

P.S.Back to the question,Could'nt name all the great players I enjoy,But IMO Curly will always be the KING.
Ron Scott

Michigan
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2006 7:24 am    

I also love Curley Chalker's verion of Long Black Limosine which would make my hair stand on end.He was so great at everything and seem to do it with little effort.Lots of good comments...THANKS Everyone...Ron

------------------
Steeling with Franklin's
Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2006 10:28 am    

Buddy.
Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2006 1:14 am    

Roger, I couldn't have put it any better. You speak volumes.

------------------
My best,
Ernie

www.BuddyEmmons.com
David Collins

Madison, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2006 3:10 am    

I know that I can't name all players as my favorite, but it is very hard to pick out just one or two. Mine would probably be somewhere between Corky and LLoyd. I LOVE good old country E9.

Like Gene said earlier, when I record or play live, I'm never fully satisfied, always think "what if I had" after it's over.

I recently recorded pedal steel and resonator guitar on a radio spot. When I finished, I did not like the steel part at all, ended up mixing just about all of it to the background.

(the spot can be heard at the web site below my name) The reso went pretty well, although I've since played the part again at the woodshed and think that I've got it better, not that it matters now.

Wonder why we do this to ourselves?

------------------
David Collins
www.alpinesoap.com

Jerry L Miller

Sublette, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2006 4:29 am    

i think first you have to like your own playing, but look to improve on it.then i like any steel any body is playing. i usually steel some of their licks.
jerry
Ernest Cawby

Lake City, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2006 5:52 am    

tHERS,S SOME OF ALL MUSIC i LIKE, BUT FOR THE BEST PART GIVE ME PURE COUNTRY, AND PLAY IT LIKE jEFF SAYS, JUST PLAY THE MELODY.All the great players do it some times. Bobbe says it best, play what you do do well. I know most love Buddy, but there are others that can do it good. There is John Le Master in Jacksonville Fl. He is so smothe it sends me. Laney had some very good players on her CD. To many to mention them all.

ernie
Travis Kline

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2006 8:06 am    

My two greatest influences for the pedal steel were Jerry Garcia and fellow forum member Jon Graboff. Hearing them play still makes me so excited about playing.
David Wren

Placerville, California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2006 8:33 am    

I never tire of listening to the pro players, it's such a great sounding instrument, when played with the artistry these foks have, it's just the best..... however... that said.... I would always rather be on stage playing myself, than listening to anyone else..... not much interest in listening to playbacks of my playing though... it's like, "I already did that... what's next?". I also like the sound of my PSG equipment as it is mixed with a live band, live room acoustics, and audience reaction.

I do enjoy the challenge of studio work, but it's more like taking a math exam

------------------
Dave Wren
'96 Carter S12-E9/B6,7X7; NV 112; Fender Twin Custom 15 ('65 reissue); Session 500s; Hilton Pedal; Black Box
www.ameechapman.com