| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Daniel Lanois
Bill McPherson

Orange County, California
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2006 2:47 pm    

Here is a cool clip I found on You Tube. Lanois plays solo steel. No finger picks. It's nice to watch a clip with nothing else but steel. As a new player, I can appreciate it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6vfeTC80LU
Eli Hall

Lousville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2006 6:13 pm    

This is a great clip and I really like what Mr. Lanois is doing with the pedal steel. He's a very creative soul with a quirky and melodic vision that is really strong and smart and atmosperic blah blah blah. As I was watching it though, I couldn't help but be a little irked. The cameramen/women did a great job showing close-ups of his hands and the fretboard. Where are these people when a steel player who might be a little more 'accomplished' is doing their little 8 bar turnaround? They usually focus on the guitar player or maybe some goober in the audience. If only they paid that kind of attention to ALL steel players! This has bugged me for a long time. So there. That's it. I'm done. btw - the LDG sounded really sweet.

[This message was edited by Eli Hall on 12 July 2006 at 07:17 PM.]

Bob Taillefer

Canada
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2006 6:34 pm    

Daniel comes at the steel from different angles. I admire what he does a lot. Bob
Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2006 8:05 pm    

That's a wonderful and refreshing clip. It's nice to see the pedal steel in the hands of a songwriter who uses the instrument primarily as a means of artistic expression. He is not bound by the chains of classic country licks or certain tone expectations some players feel in the realm of pedal steel. He simply sits behind it, and uses his knowledge of the pedal steel's basic functions to produce a soundscape that serves his song. He plays it like he plays the guitar, mandolin or piano. He's making the instrument work for HIM. IMO, that's the hallmark of a true artist.

He is in the loop enough, however, to know that a Sho~Bud will give him what he wants.
Greg Simmons

where the buffalo (used to) roam AND the Mojave
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2006 8:13 pm    

Bill, thanks for posting that, I missed it the night it was originally broadcast coast-to-coast in Canada as part of a Tsunami Relief Fundraiser.

Anyway, here's a couple of quotes from Daniel Lanois about the pedal steel...
Quote:
“It’s like my little church in a suitcase,” he says. “It allows me to get out of my head, and I’ve just found my own way of playing it. Part of the attraction is that it’s not an easy instrument to float with. You have to be dedicated, and therefore not a lot of people play it, because it’s much easier to just pick up a keyboard or regular guitar. You can get some kind of quick gratification from those instruments as a novice, but the pedal steel doesn’t work. You’ve gotta put in the years.”

and

quote:
It’s my first love. I go back to it regularly. What’s great about it is, it doesn’t know the meaning of flavour of the month. It just remains loyal to my fingers and my hands and my brain…. I like the long tones of it.

"I think the beauty of the instrument is it’s kind of an extension of the human voice and I like to play it that way. If you play it too fast you don’t really get the sense of that part of its character. So I’ve chosen to play it in a more sort of gospel way – a melodic way."

[This message was edited by Greg Simmons on 12 July 2006 at 09:18 PM.]

Klaus Caprani

Copenhagen, Denmark
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2006 1:01 am    

Is it just me, or has he actually trashed the C-pedal?
Personally I couldn't do without it. Rock'n'Roll is tough enough on this instrument as it is.

------------------
Klaus Caprani

MCI RangeXpander S-10 3x4
www.klauscaprani.com

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2006 1:15 am    

i caught Daniel at the jazz & heritage festival in New Orleans a while back
i really enjoyed it
he played some kind of lap steel standin' up
i've always liked what Daniel puts out whether it's producin', songwritin' or playin'
Thanx fer the clip Bill

[This message was edited by CrowBear Schmitt on 13 July 2006 at 02:16 AM.]

Grant Johnson

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2006 5:29 am    

Thanks for the clip. That was lovely. I thought it was beatiful simple and very tasteful. I do not know many players with the cojones to play solo andplay it as the sole backing instument to vocals.
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 13 Jul 2006 8:11 am    

Great clip. Interesting that he removed the thumb pick half way through.
Bruce Hamilton

Vancouver BC Canada
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2006 6:57 pm    

I think Chris and Greg exactly nailed the essence of Daniel's approach. He just enjoys the sound of the instrument and expresses what he likes about it to the best of is ability. There is some universal appeal in the sound of steel and if you can thread it into popular music it can only benefit all of us. For those of you who are not aware do a google search of Daniel and you will be amazed.