| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Shipping UPS? Think twice !
Lane Sandstrom

North Dakota, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2006 7:18 pm    

I shipped a BMI out to Jim Palenscar in Oceanside CA. a couple of months ago UPS. I thought I'd give them a try,(big mistake). I ususally use the Postal Service, which has been great. It must have taken a long drop and we figured about $70 damage - I had insured it for $800. I have never been thru so much red tape in my 56 years on this earth. After scores of phone calls, inspections by private companies, estimates, pictures, a continuous barrage of paperwork with wrong info on it, we're still waiting for the check. Over and over they keep getting our names backwards. You can't call their clains dept.- only fax them. I've come to the conclusion they do this deliberately to frustrate you into dropping the claim. I wouldn't advise sending anything of value UPS, because the insurance means nothing. Am I the only one that has had this problem?
Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2006 7:56 pm    

Quote:
I've come to the conclusion they do this deliberately to frustrate you into dropping the claim.

That is correct. I would never bother with a 70 dollar claim. Not worth the trouble.
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2006 8:14 pm    

I always use UPS and haven't had this type of problem. Usually they are a breeze to deal with - if you had it packed right and (preferably) showed them the packing job before you taped it closed.

Remember rule #1 with any shipper: Pack so your item can handle an 8' fall onto concrete without external OR internal damage. You will have no problems with damage claims of this kind.

I'm curious though - what would cause just $70 worth of damage, and how was it packed?
Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2006 8:16 pm    

You got it exactly, but I found that a supposed outside company (Crawford--make of that what you will) is actually all part of UPS. I've had horrible experiences with UPS and FedEx, but UPS can't be touched for being insufferable sunzabyotches. I will not use them under any circumstances, including gunpoint. Osama bin Laden could improve their image.
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2006 9:21 pm    

I have used Greyhound several times over the years,only one mistake,About 10 years ago I bought a LDG from Charlie Norris in Texas,It was supposed to go to Columbus GEORGIA,went to Columbus OHIO.Would have gotten in three days,took five.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2006 2:44 am    

I use UPS for anything over 2 pounds...

I have filed perhaps 6 claims in the past few years..we ship probably 300 items per year...

NEVER had an issue...claims are in the $100 range...

Now, the Post office ?

Epiphone Guitar arrives with Broken neck...(Post Office)

MY Post Office Box receives mail sometimes a month after initial post mark..addressed correctly...

Ignored claim for lost Express Mail Package which mysteriously showed up 6 months later..

Two weeks ago I sent an overnight Express mail in-state ( NC) guaranteed before 12:00 delivery...it didn't not show up before 12..I called, they said "give it a day or two" !!!!

HUH !!!?? Give an Overnight Express a day or two..Then we will do a search !!!!???

maybe it's me.....

oh..it did arrive close to 5:00 pm...of course after the business day was over...

But I can tell ya this..As a nation we send our stuff with stamps on it every day..I am thinking that a whole lot of stuff never makes it to where it is supposed to be going....( Hellooooo Newman )

I have had excellent results with both FED EX and UPS...

------------------
------------------
TPrior
TPrior Steel Guitar Homesite

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 07 June 2006 at 03:45 AM.]

James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2006 4:52 am    

I ship my custom fishing rods all over the world by UPS and Fed-Ex. I have been using them for about 12 years and have only had to make one claim, and that was with UPS. That’s pretty remarkable considering I am sending packages that are nine foot long tubes that can easily get caught in a door and get crushed. The place where I shipped it from called me and asked for an invoice on the rod. I had the money in about 3 weeks, no big deal at all. I was amazed that one rod made it to Australia in less than 15 days…..James
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2006 5:39 am    

I'm not trying to play devil's advocate here, but how many packages do FedEx, UPS, and the USPS carry a day? The odds are that sooner or later, SOMETHING'S gonna get busted. For me, it was a JBL D130, in a Christmas tree, but I talked to the UPS guy, and I had a check within 2 weeks! My local post office has always been very helpful, and I've had probanly 10 grand worth of stuff delivered by FedEx, with no problems. I don't believe ANY of the delivery folks are "out to get us." Pack carefully, or make sure the seller does, and insure. The only TOTALLY safe way to buy something, is to pick it up in person---And then you get hit by a kid on a crotch rocket on the way home .
Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2006 6:10 am    

so i guess the UPS threads are a regualr occurance around here? understandable, as that has to be frustrating. Having worked as a shipper for years, my experiences like many above in this thread have been positive with UPS, and packing is of course the key. Ive shipped thousands of fragile shipments worth millions of dollars worldwide, over ten years with only one or two problems which were resolved without hassle. For a valuable instrument, I feel a $200 ATA flight case is a worthwhile investment, but that may not have helped whatever damage you incurred. sorry for your loss and trouble.
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2006 6:51 am    

The damage was a couple of broken keys and it must have suffered a pretty large drop. When shipping guitars out I always take them in the case to a local UPOST center and have them pack them in peanuts, etc. While it costs twice as much (in the neighborhood of $140 for most guitars shipped to East Coast), knock on wood I have never had a problem even though the outside boxes have arrived pretty well beat up in a lot of cases- including shipments to Germany and Thailand. It is well worth the extra money to have someone else do the packing (I personally hate that part) and let them handle the repercussions if there is a problem as it takes you as a packer out of the loop.
Mike Archer

church hill tn
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2006 7:20 am    

im with you Jim
i take mine to ups store and let them pack it they ins it and away we go
so far its worked great for me
Marlin Smoot

Kansas
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2006 7:29 am    

Did you hear that FedEx and UPS are going to merge? It's going to be called FedUp.
Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2006 10:34 am    

I'd never let a UPS store pack my guitar. Ive had guitars arrive just shoved in a weak cardboard box loose with a few peanuts and somehow they made it, but I wouldnt send my guitar that way.
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2006 10:41 am    

It's all about how YOU pack it>Period.
Ricky
A. B. Traynor

4th Street& Royal ave New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2006 11:16 am    

I know your frustration well- they lost the Franklin I had coming to me last December and once something goes wrong, there customer service is pathetic- but then again, looking back on it, they all screw up once in a while, given the sheer volume of packages the big ones ship, but it is still no excuse.
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2006 11:27 am    

I just sent a shobud "The Professional" to Anchorage Alaska. I packed it in the case with bathtowels so it was tight, but soft in the case. I then took it to our local UPS store, and they double packed it and left the handle out so it was easy to for the driver to handle. It weighs 80 lbs in the case. It arrived in perfect condition, my customer pulled it out of the case and played it, it was still in tune!

I had UPS pack it for a little extra money. It's hard for them to turn down a claim when THEY are the ones who packed it!
George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2006 1:09 pm    

Right on mr. Morehead.
Geo
Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2006 1:23 pm    

I'd rather have my guitar arrive in one peice, than have UPS be responsible for a claim because they packed it poorly. I understand alot of you have had good luck and i hope you continue to, but I only trust myself to pack my guitar in a way that I know it cannot be damaged in shipment.
Ernest Cawby

Lake City, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2006 5:43 am    

WhenI sent a guitar to Keith I made a wooden case for it and he used it for the guitar case. It had a handle and locks. Arrived in perfect shape. UPS, Also wraped in a towel.

ernie
Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2006 7:50 am    

UPS recently "treated" my SD-12PP to a one day "detour" to Palm Springs before they finally got it delivered to me.
JE:-)>

------------------
Emmons D10PP 8/4 -75'
Emmons SD-12PP 3/5
Zum SD-12 5/5 - 91'
76'Session 400
86'Nashville 400
06'Nashville 112

Bob Belcher

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2006 4:35 am    

Just sent a guitar by OOPS, I mean UPS to the South a few states, got a reply back that it was dropped so hard that the bridge was knocked out!! The guy did not get insurance. So, I told him to send it back and this time I will crate the case. Very dissapointing. I guess stuff happens, Now I have to repair that and this guy is without the guitar for a week or so while I make repais...LESSON LEARNED!!!
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2006 5:22 am    

we all talk about this shipping subject it seems..a lot...

UPS , and I think all shippers state to pack items so they will suvive a 3 or 4 foot drop.

If you pack a very heavy item, Amp or Steel in a case..

LEAVE THE HANDLE EXPOSED....!!!

Would we rather have someone attempt to pick up and carry a 70 pound box waste high or just pick the dang thing up by the handle and have it KNEE high...

Packing is the responsiblity of the SENDER..not the Shipper....

Quality packing is the responsibility of the PACKER ....

Think about it for a moment...

If you were face to face with a pretty large 70 pound box, with a Handle exposed...would you pick it up by the Handle or would you just pick the whole thing up waste high and carry it ?

And also remember, Peanuts move..they sink..they seek a lower level in a BOX...during shipment...

If the box looks like it is filled with Peanuts..It's not...it's probably gonna be at about 50% when it reaches it's final destination....

t
Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2006 7:35 am    

I know someone who took a job at UPS loading trucks. They only stayed with the job for 3 weeks because it was a hell hole!
This person told me about the abusive way packages are handled through at UPS, even when it says fragile, handle with care. After what I now know, I'd have a tough time considering UPS to ship one of my Emmons Guitars. If you do ship one, just buy plenty of insurance on it.
Nick
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2006 7:43 am    

Per UPS - DO NOT leave the handle exposed. You increase the chance of the package getting hung up on a conveyor and knocked off by tenfold. I'm in their facilities pretty often (they are a customer) and they say this is one of the most-used mistakes - and the guys don't use the handles anyway, they use dollies for heavy stuff.

Advice I've been given repeatedly by UPS management for things like guitars, amps, etc...or anything of value):

1. No exposed handles. you are not only casing conveyor drop-off problems, you are leaving one side of the package relatively unprotected.
2. Pack for a 6-8' drop onto concrete. That means supporting things INSIDE the item (like in amps, the speaker, tubes, etc.
3. Always use hard foam - 3-6 inches of it - in all corners.
4. Keep the box open until you sho it to the UPS counter person, driver, UPS store person, whoever - and have them sign a copy of the shipping document marked "received with adequate packing".
5. Don't insure for more than the value. You can't GET more, so you are wasting money.
6. This one is hilarious - DO NOT WRITE "THIS SIDE UP" , "FRAGILE", or "HANDLE CAREFULLY" on anything. You are wasting ink. Most of the operation is automated, and machines don't read Sharpie. Realize that there IS NO "UP" - there is only "fit" - meaning, the drivers and warehouse people will place your package in the best position to fit the load.
7. Except when shipping guitars or amps in a guitar or amp box, do NOT use "used" boxes. If you do, you might as well not insure it, because even if they sign off it's not good packaging and any claims will be toast.

So, main points again - no exposed parts; pack for an 8' drop; use hard foam; use new boxes.

This isn't just for UPS. It applies to all carriers. They handle millions of packages, and expecting "personal attention" to yours is not practical.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2006 8:31 am    

Not to throw a monkey ( or the wrench) into the FIRE..

I was told just the opposite..by UPS and FED EX carriers..and by many who ship large heavy ittems regularly...

Leave the handles Exposed...if possible..

I have shipped like many here..numerous things of weight, Amps, Steels in cases..

I have received numerous items of weight..Amps , Steels in cases etc..

all with Handles exposed...

Never have I received ..or sent any item that ended up damaged..

Quite the contrary..

the Drivers that are on our UPS route have commented how easy it is to LUG the stuff with the handles exposed..Especially when they delivered the D10 Emmons Legrande...and the Nashville 400...

Take it or leave it...

choose your own poison..

ok, then let me ask..

if some UPS persons theory is to not leave handles exposed ?

What does one do if they ship a Guitar in a Flight case..pack it in a box ?

Kinda defeats the purpose ..no ?

and also..it appears stuff is falling of the belts anyway..so how can it hurt !

just my take..

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 10 June 2006 at 09:56 AM.]