| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  National D-8 "giveaway"?
Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2005 7:31 pm    

I have nothing to do with this auction, don't know the seller, but this offer seems almost too good to be true, so I figured I should post it in case anybody is looking for a cheap D-8 with lots of mojo..

National D-8 for $275,- it looks pretty okay to me, a little beat up and probably need some new tuner pegs, but is there something I'm missing here or is this one of those "once in a lifetime" deals (I would suppose $6-700 is the going price for these?).

Steinar

------------------
www.gregertsen.com

Ron Victoria

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2005 7:46 pm    

I was tempted to BIN but the seller claims he doesn't have a screw on amp cord. My guess is it doesn't work. It could need a simple solder or be a bad PU.

Ron
Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2005 7:52 pm    

I see it's sold already, lasted less than two hours........

Steinar

------------------
www.gregertsen.com

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2005 8:12 pm    

$400.00 - $450.00 I'd say is market. Looks like it was a good deal.
Jon Moen

Canada
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2005 8:13 pm    

Quote:
I have seen this exact guitar sell for over $400 here on Ebay. I'm asking less in hopes to move it to fund other studio equipment

I am one of the people that spent approx. $400.00 for one exactly the same but in worse cosmetic shape than this one (sounds and plays great though).

The guy has good feedback but I have to wonder if he knows it will sell for around $400.00, why not put a $275.00 reserve on it and see where it goes from there? He wants to fund more equipment. I don't know about you but I always want to spend as much as possible of available cash.

Jon
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2005 8:59 pm    

Prices in the US and Canada differ considerably. I can tell you this guitar sold at a very attractive price! I hate to tell you what I paid for mine which is also in top mint condition ! Suffice to say, I paid a lot more for the exact model than what the seller received for this guitar !
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2005 9:15 pm    

If I'd seen it in time it'd be headed to California!

:-(
Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2005 2:54 pm    

There's another one up now, with a BIN at $280. A bit more beat up than the previous one, but the fixes shouldn't cost more than $50 or so..

There's been a lot of these on eBay lately, never played one myself,- are they any good?
How do they compare with the Dynamics?

Steinar

------------------
www.gregertsen.com

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2005 3:21 pm    

I was 30 seconds too late on the first one. I'm feeling a little more restrained on this one.
Actually, assuming that the first one also had no legs, and, I assume, no sockets either (can anybody clarify this for me--was this guitar available either as a stand-up or as a lap steel?) I would have been disappointed--I definitely lean toward non-pedal as a stand-up thing.
Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2005 4:12 pm    

I've seen them with legs, there was one on eBay not long ago,- a black one, looked like it was a newer model. Here's another one, no legs here either.

Steinar

------------------
www.gregertsen.com

Jon Moen

Canada
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2005 6:04 pm    

Mine had after market legs at some point. The sockets were removed (except for the screw holes ) before I bought it. The sockets were definitely not original as the wonderful craftsman that did the work cut nice little round holes though the bottom of the case.

Jon
Roy Ayres

Riverview, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2005 6:22 pm    

Steinar,

If you can find a copy of the old Pee Wee King 78-rpm RCA record "Slowpoke" (or one of the later re-releases) you can get a feel for its tone. I used onee like that played through a Gibson amp for the steel chorus and for vocal backups.

------------------

Visit my Web Site at RoysFootprints.com
Browse my Photo Album and be sure to sign my Guest Book.

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2005 7:46 pm    

I've never seen these brown & beige models with legs. The later ones that are black & off white do have legs.

BTW, did anyone notice who asked the seller that question? Sure wish he'd come back here. I miss his informative posts.

[This message was edited by HowardR on 11 December 2005 at 07:48 PM.]

Roy Ayres

Riverview, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2005 8:43 pm    

The one I had was one of the first ones made after WWII. Mine was brown and off white, and both necks were level with each other. Playing on the front neck caused my left wrist to cramp, so I disassembled it, added a 5/8" board under the front neck, made a wider decorative front piece, reassembled it and repainted it. It had no legs, so I went to a local machine shop and had a stand made from 3/4" galvanized pipe. It was a "protoluge" (cross between prototype and kluge} but it did the job. The only place we could make it fit into one of the cars when travelling was behind Lloyd (Cowboy) Copas' driver's seat in his Pontiac. Every time he hit the brake pedal, the stand would tilt forward and hit him in the back of the head. He tried several times to throw it away -- but I stopped him. I finally was able to find a folding stand. The last time I saw that stand was where I left it in Ma Upchurch's attic in Nashville in about 1948. The other Opry musicians who rented rooms there used it to hang clothes on.

------------------

Visit my Web Site at RoysFootprints.com
Browse my Photo Album and be sure to sign my Guest Book.

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2005 10:12 pm    

Howard...if you look at that particular case, I do not detect a section allowance for leg storage. I think this particular guitar obtained legs at a later date....(as did mine). The brown and beige models did come with legs as I have a student who has one. Her case has a storage area for the 4 chrome legs.
Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2005 3:05 am    

I have one of these and it is my main guitar. I had to do a little work to get the tone up to snuff, as the cap was dried out for the tone switch and the amphenol connector was intermittent. I love it now, though. Wish I could afford one of the ones on Ebay as these are really nice guitars.
Fred Shannon

Rocking "S" Ranch, Comancheria, Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2005 5:33 pm    

"BTW, did anyone notice who asked the seller that question? Sure wish he'd come back here. I miss his informative posts."

Howard I sure caught it. The people who forced Carl Dixon off this forum should really be ashamed of themselves and there are several of us who are aware of the individuals involved. I hope they remember that what goes around comes around.

To the thread. I sold one of these to a gentleman in Hawaii for a heck of a lot more money than is listed for either of these guitars and I'm not sure it was in any better shape than these.
Phred