| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Debashish Bhattachrarya, the best slide player
Terje Larson

Rinkeby, Spånga, Sweden
Post  Posted 11 May 2006 2:26 am    

Saw a concert with this guy yesterday. All indian raga on a couple of specially designed lap steel guitars.

That's the most amazing single note slide playing I've ever heard or seen in my life. Technically awasome, beyond belief what this man can do and the speed at which he can do it. But more than that, the depth the music.

Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 May 2006 2:39 am    

Another player worth checking out is Vishwa Mohan Bhatt. I saw a concert with him once, and as with Bhattacharya, the combination of technical commaned of the instrument and musical debth is aweseome.

Steinar

------------------
"Play to express, not to impress"
www.gregertsen.com
Southern Moon Northern Lights

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2006 3:36 am    

At some point, I expect that steel guitarists somewhere will set down the 8 oz. logs and start paying attention to the musical possibilities that stem from articulate left hand technique. Debashish himself has said that he doesn't think he's "the one" - I would hope that somewhere in Benares or Calcutta or Bombay, there's some Indian kid with an old Sho-Bud tying together the Indian bar technique and discipline with the harmony potential of the pedal guitar.

One thing's for sure, if you haven't heard Vishwa or Debashish (or Dave Easley) you don't know what is possible regarding bar technique. Vishwa Mohan Bhatt has a DVD/video (available from Elderly) that actually has some instructional material. Neither of the Indian guys really have any interest in harmony - again, it's not a "complete package", to my mind - but when you hear one of these guys play a 1-3-5-8-5-3-1 lick up and down one string, faster and cleaner than most people can play it across four strings, you'll realize where the "bar" is set.
Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 11 May 2006 7:35 am    

If you haven't already, you should check out the dobro playing of Billy Cardine of the Biscuit Burners. Bill is a very talented musician that came from a jazz background to a bluegrass hybrid they have coined "fiery mountain music."

Bill is friends with Debashish and has traveled to India to study with him, and this influence comes out in his playing - especially when you see him live.

And he's a heckuva nice guy and loves to talk dobro.

Listen to the samples of the songs "Harriet's Flog" and "Donna Rose" from the newer CD on their website.
www.thebiscuitburners.com
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 11 May 2006 7:39 am    

These guys are killer!
Terje Larson

Rinkeby, Spånga, Sweden
Post  Posted 11 May 2006 11:27 pm    

I thank you people for the info, I have things I need to check out it seems. A with Mohan Bhatt that has some DVD with some instructional material... someone named Billy Cardine (wonderful clips)... and then, yes the day that some indian kid gets it all together, the left hand bar technique and the harmonical possibilites of the pedal-steel is the day the rest of us might as well stop playing...

[This message was edited by Terje Larson on 12 May 2006 at 12:30 AM.]