| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dickey Overbey
Wade Branch

Weatherford, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2006 10:00 am    

I go see Jake Hooker ever chance I get,I drove over 200 miles this weekend to go see them,for one Jake is one of the absoulute best at what he does,secondly Dickey Overbey is bar none(for me)the best steel player I have ever seen,and I have seen some of the best.Now he has tone to die for but that aint it, its his creative style of playing that gets me going.He has taken the traditional country licks and built around them and come up with some of the most innovative and unique stuff I've ever heard.I cant even express in words how much this guy moves me,Iam in awe everytime I see him.I was wandering if its just me or if anyone else feels this way about Dickey ? I just never see anything here on the forum about him.I would love to hear some history about this guy if anyone knows any.
John Ummel

Arlington, WA.
Post  Posted 1 May 2006 10:07 am    

I know he played with Johnny Bush at one point.
Craig Mckinnon

Inverness, Highland, Scotland
Post  Posted 1 May 2006 10:24 am    

I absolutely agree with you about
Dickeys playing, some of the most expressive & emotional playing I have ever heard.
Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 1 May 2006 10:55 am    

Dickie played with Connie Smith, recorded a lot with Darrell McCall in the late 60's (some of the sessions had Lloyd Green and Dickie on Dobro and Steel), he can also be heard on several of the classic early Ronnie Milsap recordings from the mid 70's...

Kind Regards, Walter

www.lloydgreentribute.com
www.austriansteelguitar.at.tf
Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 1 May 2006 11:07 am    

Just found this great photo of Connie Smith and her boys 1967/68:

From L to R:

Jack Watkins (guit.)

Larry Fullam (bass)

Connie Smith

Bill Spence (drums)

Dickie Overbey (steel guitar)

Kind Regards, Walter

www.lloydgreentribute.com
www.austriansteelguitar.at.tf
Wade Branch

Weatherford, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2006 1:17 pm    

Sweet pic !! Ive heard he played with Hank Williams Jr. too.I wonder how he wound up playing with Jake? I'd love to hear how those two hooked up.

[This message was edited by Wade Branch on 01 May 2006 at 06:17 PM.]

Ron Whitworth

Yuma,Ariz.USA Yeah they say it's a DRY heat !!
Post  Posted 1 May 2006 4:11 pm    

I am also a BIG fan of Dickie's.
Craig summed up my thoughts above when he said:"some of the most expressive & emotional playing I have ever heard."
The man is definately up there with all of the greats IMHO.I LOVE everything i have ever heard him play & thankfully he is on several recordings in the last few years from some great Texas singers.
Ben Rubright

Punta Gorda, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2006 5:43 pm    

Jake's early morning set at the ISGC two years ago still rings in my ears. Dickie was awesome on steel as was Bobby Flores on fiddle.

Let me hear Dickie play for 3 seconds and I know that it is him. He is that distinctive.
Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 1 May 2006 7:02 pm    

Great picture of the Connie Smith band. I'll buy almost any album that Dickie plays on. He, more than almost anyone, plays the steel the way I'd love to play it. His playing on the live Jake Hooker albums is superb. I do have a question though. I first encountered his great playing on Johnny Bush's "I'll Be There," many years ago. Then it seems like he disappeared for many years. Was this the case, or was he just playing the honky tonks in Texas? At any rate, we're blessed that he's playing at such a high level now.
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 1 May 2006 7:28 pm    

I love to hear Dickey play. Jake Hooker has a "REAL" steel player. I wish more singers out of Nashville would be pictured with their band.
John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 1 May 2006 7:59 pm    

Ok...
Well, one of the criticisms levelled at the steel guitar forum of late has been a lack of subjectivity in favour of being nice to everyone... so, with that in mind:
I think Dickie is a great steel player, and I'm sure I could listen to him all day and enjoy it. Having said that:
Sometimes I find his tone thin and piercing. Everyone hears things differently, so you're welcome to disagree.
The other huge topic is the most subjective of all. Someone used the word "Innovative". Sorry, but I don't buy that.
I understand every single note Dickie plays, although I couldn't hope to duplicate it.
When I say that Dickie doesn't really play anything that BE and others have chewed up and spat out, that's not a disrespectful comment. In my own humble opinion, steel guitar doesn't need to be any more than that. That's what makes it beautiful. My goal in learning to play was to duplicate those "cliches" that sound (to me) so compelling.
Other people say that steel guitar must expand and be heard into other genres. To my mind, that kind of thinking is what leads to embarrassing disasters like the "Nashville Bar Association" recording and the like.
In conclusion I'd say that Dickie doesn't play much that hasn't been done before, and I'm OK with that. In fact, I respect him for that. No chance of being bombarded with leslies and choruses and all that other stuff I find so unpalatable.
The tone thing is, of course, very subject to taste, and feel free to disagree.
Yeah, I like Dickie Overbey's playing, but for all the wrong reasons, I guess.
-John
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 1 May 2006 8:46 pm    

What was so cool for me about the Jake Hooker ISGC set was.
It was just 4 players. no rythm guitar, piano nor other chording instrument.

2 notes at most and apegios from Bobby,
and Dickie holding up the whole harmonic end.

You just didn't miss the missing rythmn section.

Jake is very solid on bass, and just lets Dickie have the floor,
till Bobby wants to double with him, or solo.

So very impressive on so many levels.

And the room was filled with most of
the best steelers I have ever heard...
All totally rapt in attention.
Brett Anderson

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2006 10:08 pm    

John, Respectfully speaking. You've got to be sh**ting me. Overbey's tone thin? Do yourself a favor pick up Justin Trevino's "Scene of the Crying" cd. That's anything but thin. Dickey O is the reason I just got my first Emmons guitar. And why I aspire to someday play something similar to that "thin" tone.
Thomas Cepek

Berlin, Germany
Post  Posted 2 May 2006 1:28 am    

Hi Walter Stettner!

That´s a great old photo. I like those old pics and I love the playin´ of Dickie Overby.
Thanks for sharing all your knowledge around the steelguitar. I enjoy it much.

Regards....... Thomas
Michael Weaver

Buffalo Grove, IL
Post  Posted 2 May 2006 2:40 am    

Another superb example of his playing is on Amber Digby's cd. I you have not heard this cd yet, you should do yourself a favor and purchase it. Truly outstanding on many levels.
Wade Branch

Weatherford, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2006 5:56 am    

John,the whole point of my post was to find out more information about Dickey,not to argue his paper thin tone and his sub-par licks.I dont care who wants this forum to be more arguementive....I dont !!! Iam still from the school of "If you cant say something nice...dont say anything at all"
How dare you hi-jack my post with "your negative opinions" about one of the best steel players to ever play the game.
This guy is as profecient on E9th as he is on C6th.John,have you ever had the opportunity to see this guy live in some little "Honky Tonk" somewhere down in Texas ? Its very rare to see a steel player have 5 or 6 people gathered around him while he's playing,most people are just not impressed by watching this instrument,Dickey makes it fun to even watch.I alot of times will go and stand right behind his amp,close my eye's and take it all in...and to this day everytime I do, I still feel like Iam hearing and watching greatness !!

Earl Foote

Houston, Tx, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2006 7:51 am    

Our band opened for Jake Hooker a couple of week ago in Anahuac, Tx. Everyone in his band was as nice as could be especially Dickie. He even had some nice things to say about my playing. They had Jake on upright, Dickie on steel, a fiddlist, and a drummer. Dance floor got a workout that night.
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 2 May 2006 12:17 pm    

Dicky plays the steel guitar the way I would like to play the steel guitar. The sound of his guitar is the exact way I want my guitar to sound. Texas Dance Hall Music is not for everyone. This type of music used to be called Country Music. There is nothing thin about Dicky's sound. Dicky's sound is so full it brings tears to my eyes every time I hear him play. Of course this is just my opinion. If you want to hear more of a shrill Texas fiddle, and that great push pull sound, check out my CD at www.hiltonelectronics.com Listen to sound samples. It is a Zumsteel but I am trying for that Overby push pull sound.

[This message was edited by Keith Hilton on 02 May 2006 at 01:24 PM.]

[This message was edited by Keith Hilton on 02 May 2006 at 01:28 PM.]

Daniel J. Cormier

Lake Charles, LA, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2006 12:41 pm    

I wish I knew how to post a darn sound clip on this here forum. I have a clip of Jake doing "Just Move Your Fingers". This song is the best sounding country arrangement I've heard in years.Dickey on steel, Bobby Flores on Fiddle it just don't get much better than that. This ain't your sisters candy coated pretty boy crap there shoving down our throats now days.

------------------
Daniel J. Cormier Whatever D-10 I happen to have at the moment.
EVans FET 500 LV ,ProFex II http://www.cajunsteelguitar.com email at djcormier@cox-internet.com

[This message was edited by Daniel J. Cormier on 02 May 2006 at 01:41 PM.]

[This message was edited by Daniel J. Cormier on 02 May 2006 at 01:46 PM.]

Ben Rubright

Post  Posted 2 May 2006 12:50 pm    

Not long after the Jake, Dickey, Bobby set in StL I commented here on the forum that Dickey's steel sounded to me to be 6 feet wide. That still goes. If that is thin, then thin is to what I aspire.
Ben Rubright

Post  Posted 2 May 2006 12:59 pm    

Furthermore, Connie can tear me up with no effort at all (you too Laney). I am so glad that I never heard her with Dickey playing behind her. I would still be laying somewhere in the aisle with people tripping over me.

Laney with Russ has the same effect. Last year in Dallas, for example.
Ben Rubright

Post  Posted 2 May 2006 1:06 pm    

And to Keith..........no it is not just your opinion. It is fact and many of us share it with you. Did someone hit a never with me? You bet!!!
Ben Rubright

Post  Posted 2 May 2006 1:10 pm    

How about nerve and NOT never!!! and that is not my sister's sugar coated crap of today........I wish I had thought of that phrase.
Daniel J. Cormier

Lake Charles, LA, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2006 1:47 pm    

I heard that saying from a diehard Bob Wills fan and Musician who happens to think the same way I do.Dickey has seen more miles in a tour bus with good bands than Lonestar and Rascal Flats have flown to there Candy coated concerts.

------------------
Daniel J. Cormier Whatever D-10 I happen to have at the moment.
EVans FET 500 LV ,ProFex II
http://www.cajunsteelguitar.com email at djcormier@cox-internet.com

erik

Post  Posted 2 May 2006 5:34 pm    

I have his Honky Tonk Memories CD, and I love it. He's a very good singer too. As far as his style, it is similar to classic sounding 60s steel, but very unique to himself in his execution. I will admit the first time I listened I said, "Okay, that's different". But each successive listen brought me closer and closer to what he was saying. His CD ranks with the best out there.

------------------
-johnson