| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How many newbies here? 2 years or less?
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2006 9:44 am    

Seems we have quite a few.
Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2006 10:02 am    

I joined early last year after being a lurker for a good while. I finally got around to sending my $5 to b0b-shoot, I could have dropped it off to him-he lives 20 minutes from me!

Then I got to go to the San Jose Steel jam, by finding out about it here on the Forum, where Mike P. made the drive from L.A. with Al Vescovo. Let me tell you, there was a lot of talent in that room, even though I dragged down the neighborhood.

By the way, I haven't seen any posts from Al in quite awhile. What's going on with him? Holy smokes, can that man play a steel guitar!

------------------
Mark

[This message was edited by Mark Eaton on 16 January 2006 at 10:02 AM.]

Jud Thomas

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2006 10:05 am    

It'll be two years for me in April. I took a number of lessons from Neil Flanz here in Austin to get started. I remember my first lesson, I had my finger picks on backwards! He kindly showed me the correct way to place them and didn't even laugh. He really is patient and understanding. I'm just starting to realize how much there is to learn about this amazing instrument. I need to spend as much time practicing as I do reading this forum!
Bill McPherson

Orange County, California
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2006 10:21 am    

I am a future newbie. I ordered a Carter S-10 a few weeks ago. I'm will be 50 this year and have played guitar since my teens. My wife asked me what I wanted for the big 50th birthday and my answer was "a pedal steel guitar". I've always loved the sound of the pedal steel and always found myself trying to mimic the sound on my Tele or Gretsch. I hope I can learn to play the real thing!
Jim Hoke

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2006 10:45 am    

I'm a new member, and am a pro Nashville cat session guy on several other instruments. Been playing steel two years now, w/ a double neck for one, and am really enjoying the C neck. To me, the E9 is the "heart" neck and the C6 is the "brain", but that's over-simplifying. What has helprd me alot since joining the forum is the old issues of Steel Player I bought. They're loaded w/ great helpful tips from Emmons, Anderson, Newman, etc. I recommend them alot. Glad to be aboard and be connected to all you other mis-guided players of this most expressive and beautiful instrument.
Jack Latimer

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2006 11:25 am    

One year this past December. Got my PSG as a Christmas gift. It's taken a year, but last week I finally got to play it with our band at a weekly practice. The guys were excited with how it changed the sound of the band, but I can see where I need a little more work before I'll be ready with confidence. However, I'm still very excited that I got to where I am so far.
Jonathan Shacklock

London, UK
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2006 1:33 pm    

I've been learning for about 7 months. There is so much to take in and this is definitely the right place. I hope to be in Jack's position in the next year or so, playing with a band.

Jud I'm jealous, you've had lessons from a true master. I've got an old Gram Parsons LP which features fantastic picking by young Mr Flanz. Teachers are hard to come by in London.

Looking forward to seeing you guys on the boards.
John Maggard

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2006 1:34 pm    

Depends a little on the definition of newbie, I guess...I've played guitar and keyboards for years in and out of bands, and got hooked on the PSG sound like many others here in the '70s with the Eagles, Burritoes etc. Borrowed a guy's Maverick for a couple of weeks in college to make the 'addiction' complete. Until earlier this year I'd pull out first a Fender then later a Dekley student model - practiced out of the books for a while then ran out of time and patience with myself. After finding this forum I've moved into a D10 and daily practice, and I'm loving every minute of it. I'd like to hook up with a live instructor in the Cincinnati area to keep things moving, though.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2006 1:48 pm    

Jack L, playing in a band is the best possible way of learning. I suggest you play your steel with the guys as much as possible.
James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2006 1:57 pm    

I am going on my 5th month of learning. I played guitar in a band and I played the steel a little in the practice room one night. Steel guitar playing in a band setting is a completely different world than play tele, in my opinion. Anyway, I decided that evening to stop playing in the band and work on steel guitar alone, so that is where I have been the last few months...James
Jimmie Martin

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2006 2:08 pm    

i'm a newbie less than 2 years. i konda started late. at the age of 57 i turn 58 the 18th of jan. i sold all of my equipment to get operated on last sept. and oct. but i'm working on starting over getting new stuff. or new to me. i think gary preston is the only one that i have met in person and mike sigler. i'm not very good but i'll do until good gets here. thanks for listening jimmie aka robert
Michael Pierce

Madison, CT
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2006 2:25 pm    

I have been playing for a little over a year now and have been fortunate enough to take lessons from Doug Beaumier, an excellent teacher, during that time. Despite Doug's best efforts, I am what might charitably be referred to as an enthusiastic hacker.
Jim Rice

Littleton, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2006 2:34 pm    

Its just two years for me this Christmas. I'm new to stringed instruments. Played jazz trumpet in big bands and combos in my teens and 20s. Gave it up for a "real job". At 46, almost 25 years later, I decidced I wanted music back in my life, and I wanted a challenge. Be careful what you ask for!

I am totally hooked on this habit. Just started lessons this year - now it makes sense. I strongly recommend joining a local steel club, lots of fun and great folks!
Kenny Brown

Auburn, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2006 3:12 pm    

I believe I've only been on board(no pun)for a couple of years tops.

Although I don't post too often, so many people have been more than helpful providing info any time I've asked.

Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2006 3:18 pm    

8 weeks, maybe four of those with a guitar.
There's been alot of stop and start... But I'm all set now and ready to start learning.
This board has been very helpful and i thank you all for that. alot of people have really gone out of their way to help me out, and i wont forget that.
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2006 4:15 pm    

I've been here 6 or 7 months. It's been invaluable!
John Coffman

Wharton,Texas USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2006 4:19 pm    

Little over a year. Loving it! How many of you will make it to Dallas in March?

------------------
Thomas SD10 3/4 and D10 8/5 Beginner

Delvin Morgan

Lindstrom, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2006 4:38 pm    

I've been on the Forum two years this summer, bought my Emmons Sept.,04 and taking lessons from a master player since June,05. Still have a long way to go, but enjoying every minuet. This Forum has been very helpful, thanks all.

------------------
Emmons S-10,Nashville-112,Peavey Pro-Fex II,5 guitars and a banjo
Joseph Meditz

Sierra Vista, AZ
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2006 5:09 pm    

I've been playing for 5 whole weeks now. Given the holidays I must've put in about 150 hrs, 120 on top of it and 30 underneath. Yes sir I know this box rightside up, upsidedown, inside out and sideways. And sometimes when I'm tuning I reach under and feel around for a particular rod to jiggle to see if it has enough play like I'm helping to birth a calf, not that I would know being a city boy.

But I'm loving every minute of this experience with my Fessy S-10 and my Winnie Winston book. And I thank you all for the many contributions here and especially the pioneers who developed this amazing instrument for us to enjoy.

Joe

Steve Mottin

Lake Saint Louis, MO
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2006 5:21 pm    

I've been attempting to play now for about 10 weeks. I've finally had to tell my instructor to stop coddling me and make me perform. Yikes! This week I'm doing a series of pick-blocking exercises. Me and my big mouth.

I've really enjoyed the forum and look forward to meeting some of yuo in Dallas.

------------------
Steve

GFI Ultra SD10
Roman Sonnleitner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2006 5:50 pm    

Non-pedal newbie her! Have been playing at least 30 min. per day, for a couple of weeks now (on my own homemade lap steel), and I'm actually surprised how fast I'm progressing...
Bill Moran

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2006 6:28 pm    

You Know:
I have been fooling around with steel guitar
for 26 years and I still feel like a new-be.
Hope I never change !!!

Bill
Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2006 6:31 pm    

I've been here since last June. I've been playing pedal steel for about 5-6 years (after playing guitar for about 20), but since I joined the forum it's been a bit more of a fast climb in my proficiency. I practice a lot more now, because I get all fired up when reading about and looking at steels.

I was lucky to have joined a country band right at the start of my playing - we all formed the band together. Now the band is really busy, and my playing is steadily improving all the time - a great combination. I'm proud to say that the majority of my income derives from my Sho-Bud these days.

Up until I joined the forum, I just simply threw the steel in the car and went to gigs, playing whatever came out of me. I practiced 0 at home. (I used to keep time on stage by banging my bar off the side of the steel!!). I credit the forum with making me really want to be a great player - and educating me about the many kinds of guitars and the masters of the instrument.
Andy Jones

Mississippi
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2006 6:38 pm    

At 53 years old,I bought my MSA D-10 Classic on 8-6-05 from my new friend,Billy Carr.Except for a two week period without electricity due to hurricane Katrina,I practice every chance I get.Having a blast with it and can't wait until I get good enough to play for some one other than myself.
Steve Hackney

Milton, Kentucky USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2006 6:58 pm    

I've been a member for 6 months or so. Best 5 bucks I ever spent. Learned a lot from the members. Sold a steel to a forum member, bought another one from a forum member.
Been tryin to play steel for about 25 years and still learnin new things all the time. Thats what makes it fun.