| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pacemakers and PSG Amps
Mel Culbreath

Waynesville, NC, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2006 7:38 pm    

After having a heart attack in October, the doctor recommended I get a Defibrillator/Pacemaker implanted in my chest. Well, I just got it yesterday and have been reading the "owners manual". It is full of warnings about staying away from electrical currents, magnets,etc. which could de-program the unit. It specifically mentioned "large magnets such as those used in stereo speakers".

I know some of you here have pacemakers, and wonder if the large speakers used in PSG amps have caused anyone problems with their pacemakers?

Thanks,

Mel
L. A. Wunder

Lombard, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2006 9:25 pm    

Mel,

Don't worry too much about it. I've had a pacemaker/defibrillator since 2002. You have to be at least six-inches away from the back of the amp. (that's where the magnet is)My practice space is small, my amp is right next to me, and I've never had a problem. To ease your mind a little, put the amp behind you and to the right. (If you're like most folks, the "device" is implanted in the left side of your chest.)

As far as P.A. speakers go, you probably don't want to be too close to them, and by that, I mean you don't want to sit on the floor between them at some player's feet at a steel show, or something like that. If the music is loud, you may want to move back a row or two further. If you feel uncomfortable next to any piece of electronic equipment, just move away from it.
That said, take a deep breath, and enjoy yourself! If you have anymore questions, just ask.

L.A.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2006 5:08 am    

Magnetic fields fall away very quickly with distance, so as long as you're not laying across an amp, speaker, or pickup, or carrying one in front of your chest, I'd think you'll be just fine. To see where, and how strong the magnetic field is, tie a needle or thumb-tack to a piece of string (about 2 feet long), and hold it near the object of concern. When near a magnetic field of any strength, the needle will move towards the magnet.
Mel Culbreath

Waynesville, NC, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2006 8:36 am    

L.A. and Donny,

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

Mel
Per Berner

Skovde, Sweden
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2006 11:18 pm    

...just don't turn up that tremolo knob too high...