| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hawaiian music on cylinders - UCSB
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2005 9:38 am    

There are some fascinating early Hawaiian recordings here among the 5000 cylinder recordings hosted by the University of California at Santa Barbara.
http://cylinders.library.ucsb.edu/index.php

quote:

Cylinder recordings, the first commercially produced sound recordings, are a snapshot of musical and popular culture in the decades around the turn of the 20th century. They have long held the fascination of collectors and have presented challenges for playback and preservation by archives and collectors alike.

With funding from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, the UCSB Libraries have created a digital collection of over 5,000 cylinder recordings held by the Department of Special Collections. In an effort to bring these recordings to a wider audience, they can be freely downloaded or streamed online.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Alan Kirk

Scotia, CA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2005 9:45 am    

The UCSB cylinder collection is truely amazing. I've seen it. They also have old Gid Tanner and the Skillet Lickers records and various other recordings. They are in the process of digitizing all this old material (using Sound Forge) to make it available to the public.

Alan Kirk, Staff Research Associate II, Geography Department, UCSB (M.A. in Ethnomusicology, UCSB)

[This message was edited by Alan Kirk on 17 November 2005 at 12:21 PM.]

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2005 2:08 pm    

I still have an olde EDISON cylinder machine which I have recently given to my daughter who collects antiques...Included were about 30 cylinders of which, (unfortunately), none are Hawaiian. The mechanism still works as good as the day it was manufactured...they really built things to last in those days !

[This message was edited by George Keoki Lake on 17 November 2005 at 02:12 PM.]