| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Julian Tharpe
Alex McCollough

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2006 10:45 am    

Where can I find some recordings of Julian Tharpe (LP or CD)?
Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2006 12:45 pm    

Here is a cassette tape available on the FORUM from b0b.

A-167-C Julian Tharpe- "Take Your Pick"
tape $10

Bobby Caldwell

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2006 7:45 am    

I have a CD out that has two live cuts of Julian on it and he is burning it up. It is titled "Bobby Caldwell and His Friends Of Steel". Check out my web for more details.www.bobbycaldwell.net. You also might check Scotty's Music in St.Louis. They may have someting. The phone # is 314-427-7794. Julian was a monster player and a dear friend. I miss him lots. Bobby
Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2006 6:23 am    

The "Take Your Pick," tape on the forum is a great tape. I think you will enmjoy Julian and Blondie Caldron't musical efforts. I never tire of it after all these years.

Scotty produced most of Julian's recordings if not all ofthem. "Deep Feelings" was his last album 1984. He also had "12 +14 = Country Jazz" with the late Zane Beck and "The Jet Age" and "Southern Fried."

I have been told that Mike Miller I believe it is who knew Julian is putting together a CD of his material. It is long over due as is Julian's inclusion in the SGHOF.

Julian was my friend and mentor. I play a 14 stringer like his, but can't play just like him. In fact, no one I ever heard ever played like Julian, nor will they ever play like him. He wore his own kind of Steel Hat. You will never forget his big sound on steel once you hear it. He was truly a Giant of the Steel Guitar. I miss him a bunch!

GOD bless ya!

Terry J. Wood
14 + 14 = Steel Guitar Fun!

Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 18 Jan 2006 8:11 am    

I sure wish that they would get that "new" CD of Julian out while I am still in this life. I wonder if anyone ever took a video of Julian's hand while he was "speedpicking"?
Fred Jack

Bastrop, Texas 78602
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2006 11:33 am    

Charles, Only in my mind!
Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2006 1:20 pm    

There are those that have the materials, and videos on Julian. But they won't release it for one reason or another. It's the same on his Steel Guitar Hall of Fame induction it has been on hold for years. There is no real nor suitable reason why he and Reece Anderson haven't been inducted in the SGHOF yet.

I have all of his albums, some tapes live of his playing. Julian was a Class Act!

Woody
Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2006 1:23 pm    

I was able to watch Julian several times at pretty close range and, I can tell you, his technique was standard for the time. As I recall, it was two fingerpicks and a thumbpick and palm blocking. If you are looking for any tricks or shortcuts, you won't find any. He worked for his accomplishments.

Great musical mind, technique that allowed him to play what he felt, and a really wacky personality. Funny guy. As his recordings clearly show he was his own player. As Frankie would say he did it HIS WAY. There was a little bit of Speedy West, but to balance it out there was a little bit of Jimmy Day. Equally at home burning it up or playing his hallmark 'Danny Boy' with no bar. Zane Beck was also a close friend and influence. But it was all Julian. I only knew him to say 'hi', but I really miss him and I know guys like Terry do too.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S/D-12 6x6, 1984 Sho-Bud S/D-12 7x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps

Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 18 Jan 2006 4:27 pm    

Terry, I like your picking too!!
Randy Mason

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2006 10:45 pm    

I have "THE JET AGE" album.