| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  STONES.Wild Horses,,w Pete on steel
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2006 7:42 am    

About a year ago I posted about this... I HEARD it in a vintage guitar shop here in NY, and when I posted about it the general consensus was that the Stones never recorded it with Sneaky Pete on steel and I must have been listening to the Burritos version.. I was Positive it was the Stones ...I had read about it many years ago, but kind of forgot about it... anyway, I found a copy on the net.. the unmistakably sound of Jaggers voice, the Stones playing, and Pete's steel... pretty rare I guess...I would be happy to mail it to my friends here that would like to hear it... audio quality is not great , but is acceptable..please include Sneaky or Stones in your heading... Its a great listen for Stones/Sneaky/both fans!!! bob
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2006 10:52 am    

Oh sure, I promise a cool song to any that ask, and when they DO, it doesn't work!!...

To those that reponded , I am REAL sorry.. I can't get it to go through the email, I have done everything I can think of, but keep getting a"Page cannot be Displayed" notice.... maybe someone can tell me why.. my apologies guys... I'll just play it on the chat room I guess.... bob
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2006 10:56 am    

Bob, did you actually find where they gave credit to Pete for that recording? That has always been one of my favorite Stone's songs. I am surprised though.

------------------
Carter D10 9p/9k, NV400, Korg Triton Le88 Synth, Korg CX-3 organ, Yamaha Motif Rack Module, Regal Dobro, Tele, Gretsch Acoustic.

Steve Hitsman

Waterloo, IL
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2006 11:07 am    

Yeah, Bob, are you sure it's not Ronnie Wood?
Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2006 11:09 am    

Bob, can you remember where you found it on the net? Maybe the rest of us can just go there to get it...
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 2 Jan 2006 12:07 pm    

Steve, that is my theory. I don't have a copy of the song, but as I remember, the steel playing was nowhere near the quality of Sneaky Pete's.

------------------
Carter D10 9p/9k, NV400, Korg Triton Le88 Synth, Korg CX-3 organ, Yamaha Motif Rack Module, Regal Dobro, Tele, Gretsch Acoustic.

Mike Winter

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2006 12:59 pm    

I have a version with steel, and was always told it was Gram Parsons playing it. The steel isn't at the level that Sneaky Pete would play it. Also, although Wild Horses appeared on Sticky Fingers (1971), the son was in the process of being recorded in 1969. The the movie Gimme Shelter (1969 tour) shows them in Muscle Shoals listening to a rough playback. It sounds like it was almost wrapped up, just needing harmony vocals and lead guitar. Both are missing here.

Ronnie Wood didn't start playing with them until 1975.

------------------
Mike
------------------
Blue Moon Highway
(Country Music...and then some.)
www.bluemoonhighway.com

Steve Hitsman

Waterloo, IL
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2006 1:02 pm    

Hmmm... I see in the credits for the Stones documentary "Gimme Shelter", that Sneaky Pete appeared in the film. One of the songs was (you guessed it) "Wild Horses". Is that what Bob found?
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 2 Jan 2006 1:05 pm    

Then maybe it was Pete. I did a search and could find no listing of additional musicians on this record. I know that Pete's wife lurks here, maybe she could ask Pete for us.

[This message was edited by Richard Sinkler on 02 January 2006 at 01:07 PM.]

Russ Young

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2006 1:11 pm    

We did this once before, with a similar lack of clarity: http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum15/HTML/004163.html

Oops -- I overlooked the thread that Bob referred to initially: http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum15/HTML/010296.html

Better luck this time?

[This message was edited by Russ Young on 02 January 2006 at 01:16 PM.]

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2006 1:13 pm    

Here's a link to an album of studio outtakes. One of the three versions of Wild Horses supposedly has Gram Parsons (!) on steel. I wonder if they meant "Gram Parson's Steel Player?"
http://www.geetarz.org/reviews/stones/itchy_fingers.htm

Mike, could this be where your version came from?

Bob, is the version you have about 5:20 long? I saw a couple of references to this outtakes album on the net, and one of them listed the song duration as 5:20.
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2006 1:19 pm    

HMM,,, now you guys got me thinkin.. It isn't up to Pete's high standards, but is CERTAINLY his EXACT tone, using many of his characteristic licks and changes..

I can hear LOWERS on the pedals .. its right up front.. pretty sophisticated for Gram unless he was a quite competent player.. maybe Pete worked with him on this, but it DOES sound like Pete.. I dunno, maybe just not a great day for him.. I really need to get more guys to hear this,,,bob
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2006 1:24 pm    

Ok guys ...its on Limewire.com.. just punch in Wild Horses and it will come up.. It lists Gram as the steel player !!!!!... If so ,Gram was using Pete's setup, many of his changes, and was a pretty fair steeler for his day.... who knows????,,, someone else listen to this and tell me if I'm crazy.... bob
Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2006 2:41 pm    

Gram did not play steel as far as I know. On one of the old FBB vinyl albums (I think that's where I read it) the liner notes state that Pete had played on a version of wild horses that was never released, but that the song then became part of the FBB's repertoire. I'll try to find the reference when I get home.
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2006 2:49 pm    

Right Bob, its on an old Double FBB album I have.. It refers to the Wild Horses track being
"sweetened" with Pete's steel...
geez, I never make anything easy do I??.. anyway guys, its on Limewire.com. just type in Wild Horses.. it probably won't be there long.... bob
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2006 4:19 pm    

It was Pete, and Gram didn't play steel anyway. Seems like half the descriptions on Limewire are wrong.

BTW, it's Pete's daughter that lurks here, not his wife.
Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2006 8:49 pm    

Steve,

The reason why Sneaky Pete appears in the "Gimmie Shelter" movie credits is because he is shown when the Burritos are opening for The Stones at Altamont. There are also brief shots of Hillman, Parsons, Leadon and Michael Clarke.
Mike Winter

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2006 9:10 pm    

And, we're talking about the steel played on the Stones' version of Wild Horses, NOT the Flying Burrito Brothers' version.

------------------
Mike
------------------
Blue Moon Highway
www.bluemoonhighway.com

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 2 Jan 2006 9:12 pm    

OOPS. Sorry, I thought she was his wife. Maybe she will this and ask him anyway.

------------------

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2006 4:21 am    

After really listening on phones, there is no doubt that this was Pete playing.. Too many signature licks,that "swoopy" nuance that Pete has when using his LOWER changes etc, its certainly him, although not some of his best playing I would concede. Hey even legendary players have some stuff out there that is not up to the very high standards they themselves set... bob
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2006 11:36 am    

Maybe Pete was under the influence, so to speak. All those groupies, all those recreational refreshments - who could concentrate? Alot of stuff people did back in those days turned out to be not so great when they came down and listened to it later. Goes against Jimmy Day's advice for keeping your edge: play horny and play hungry.
Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2006 2:19 pm    

I'm confused...my copy of the Stones version doesn't have steel on it at all...and the FBB cut is obviously Pete...what did I miss?

------------------
http://home.comcast.net/~steves_garage

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2006 2:57 pm    

Steve, the version of the song in question is an unreleased studio outtake. It should available here:
Limewire.com

Bob C., I'm with you 100%. I think the studio credit is dead wrong. This is not a non-steel-playing newbie like Gram Parsons on this song. As Jason Odd pointed out in another thread, Parsons never played steel, was a passable rhythm guitarist at best, and he was inevitably stoned when hanging with the Stones. No way he could have sat down at a steel and whipped out that track.

The sound and style of this part sounds like Pete to me. On an off day. There may have been substance issues...
Mike Winter

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2006 6:18 pm    

OK, after digging around, I found the following:

http://members.aol.com/rorybase/rstones.htm

Dec. 1969 "Sticky Fingers" outtakes; Muscle Shoals Studios, Alabama…Wild Horses (#1, rough instrumental guitar jam by Keith & Mick Taylor), Wild Horses (#2, nearly finished, 2 acoustic guitars, drums, bass, & vocal), & Wild Horses (#3, same as #2, but with overdubbed, never-used, pedal-steel guitar of Gram Parsons.

http://www.geetarz.org/reviews/stones/itchy_fingers.htm
The Rolling Stones - Itchy Fingers
Studio Outtakes 1969-70 - Invasion Unlimited - IU9535-1 - sb6
Tracks 10-12: With these three different versions of Wild Horses we track down the evolution of this beautiful song, as recorded on the same sessions as above. The first version is a rough instrumental guitar-jam alongside the song's chords by Keith and Mick Taylor. The second version is nearly finished, it's the basic track with two acoustic guitars, drums, bass and vocal. Version three is basically the same as version two but with a never-used pedal steel guitar overdub played by the late great Gram Parsons:

http://www.nzentgraf.de/books/tcw/works1.htm
9th, 10th & 18th December: London, Olympic Sound Studios. Producer: Jimmy Miller.
Sound engineer: Glyn Johns.
Wild Horses II (MJ/KR) -Sneaky Pete Kleinow on piano (tape send to US for
overdub purposes, recorded on version I)

http://ebni.com/byrds/spfbb2.html#Rhorses
The Stones did send the song to Parsons, in the hope that Sneaky Pete Kleinow might be able to add some steel guitar to it. (He never did.)

http://sneakypetekleinow.com/
In the list of artists he’s played with, the Stones are listed.

I think he’s the best person to answer this.

------------------
Mike
------------------
Blue Moon Highway
www.bluemoonhighway.com

[This message was edited by Mike Winter on 03 January 2006 at 06:19 PM.]

[This message was edited by Mike Winter on 03 January 2006 at 06:20 PM.]

Anita Kleinow

Joshua Tree,California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2006 4:55 pm    

Hello everybody! Gram Parsons did not ever play steel guitar. When the Stones were on tour here, I believe it was 1970, they were staying in a house in Laurel Canyon. This house had a recording studio. Sneaky did record with them there. Nothing was "in the can" so to speak and what was done with those recordings ????? Sneaky is the one on the Flying Burrito version.