| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ? for Bruce Bouton
Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2005 6:22 am    

Bruce, I noticed that you wear 2 different finger picks and the one on your middle finger appears longer. Also, it seems that you attack the strings with your right hand moving a lot more from the elbow than the fingers. I was wondering why.
Regards,
another BB
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2005 7:31 am    

Although my two picks are the same, I shape them a bit differently and I wear the middle fingerpick extended a bit more. This compensates for the extra curl of the middle finger which sometimes causes the back 'strap' of my pick to snag the next higher string--very uncool. I am very interested to read Bruce's response to see if his reasons in any way relate to this. (Sorry for not being Bruce but responding anyway).
Bruce Bouton

Nash. Tn USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2005 3:38 pm    

I have no idea how to answer your question. I've worn duplicate picks for many years. I seem to recall many years ago that I used a kaiser and a national. Probably for comfort. I didn't think my right hand technique came from my elbow. I don't know what your point of referance was but i do know that the finger bones coneected to the hand bone and the handbones connected to the...........
BB
Calvin Walley

colorado city colorado, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2005 6:04 pm    

not to put words into anyone mouth...but i have noticed this same elbow movement with 2 other super players its almost a snatching motion that they use
Fred Jack

Bastrop, Texas 78602
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2005 6:23 pm    

Calvin, As far as I know, a little snatch never hurt no one??
Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2005 7:06 pm    

Thanks for the attempt to answer Bruce, I didn't realize your video is maybe 15 years old. I thought you were still that young long haired handsome devil with the funky shirt.
You have changed your picks and technique like everyone else. But the video was my point of reference. You mentioned on the tape that you used 2 different picks and I could see the difference in length between the two.
The difference I saw in your right hand technique was not in blocking, it was in the attack. Less like a banjo or finger picker and more like guitar.
Thanks again .. and have a merry Christmas.

[This message was edited by Bo Borland on 23 December 2005 at 07:15 PM.]

Sidney Ralph Penton

Moberly, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2005 7:17 am    

i have asked bruce to do another tape for the first one was excellent. bruce seems like a down to earth person. i would like to konw more about him. is steeling the only job he does or does he have a day job or what. i believe bruce is a excellent teacher. he takes his time and goes through things and makes everything clear. lets all get on bruce's case and maybe he will do another video. bruce i hope you and your family have a merry christmas and a wonderful new year. thanks doc

------------------
zum SD10 peavy vegas 400 peavy session 400 steelseats they are great at sales@steelseats.com
if its not a zum steel it isn't real
just trying to steel for the Lord>

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2005 7:29 am    

[url=http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=ADFEAEE47816DE4FAB7E20D7863A41C5A767E70FD863FF8F0C344259D5BB3A06830862FD5EFBB89CE4AE71FD35AEFD31A65E10D1CAEE53B0DD66373F8AE4A76 8284F36&searchlink=BRUCE|BOUTON&uid=CAW030512241027&samples=1&sql=11:yef6zfjheh4k~T4]Bruce Bouton Partial Discography[/url]

Don't forget to go to page two.
And page three.
I don' believe this list includes his songwriting credits.
Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2005 7:31 am    

are y'all talkin about "learn to PLay Pedal Steel Guitar" ? cause thats my only teacher at the moment. I dont see Mr. Bouton moving his elbow much, but I do see him "snatching", as you say, the strings. Clear even aggressive picking ...I wish my beginners paws worked like that...someday maybe.
Anyway thanks for the video Mr. Bouton.
Merry X-Mas
Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2005 7:45 am    

Ben, I guess snatching at the strings is what I saw, clearly different then from what I am used to seeing.
Sidney.. My guess is that Bruce hasn't had to work a job outside of the music biz for a very long time. If you look at Jons' link you will see that Bruce has recorded with the top artists of the past 20 years on some of the biggest hits and career tunes of those artists. Many of the most recognizable steel licks of the last 20 years are his. I would think that the list doesn't even have the sessions he had done for the unknown singers that never made the charts. The amount of work is most impressive and pedal steel history will have his stamp all over it.

[This message was edited by Bo Borland on 24 December 2005 at 07:57 AM.]

Bruce Bouton

Nash. Tn USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2005 12:54 pm    

i appreciate and am humbled by the kind words.I moved to Nashville almost thirty years ago with the crazy idea that I might be able to make a living in the music business. I never would have had any of my success had it not been for all the other stee players and musicians that helped me along the way. Add some dumb luck of being in the right place at the right time and you have the secret to my success in the music biz. For the life that I have had I am eternally gratefull.
I wish everyone a Merry Christmas, a Happy Holiday Season and pray for peace, compassion and understanding in the coming year.
BB
Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2005 9:38 pm    

Fred, go to your room. Jody.
Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2005 2:54 am    

Hi Bruce, Merry Christmas to you. You are an amazing player, I had the pleasure of meeting you many years ago at a BBQ in England where a Lady called Lorraine Lewin, got a few of us English Pickers over to meet you.I also told you that years ago, Ray Flack worked for a few months in my band I ran at the time. Isn't it strange how when you have someone of his Kalibre in the band that it improves your playing? Any other forumites have that experience? Bruce if you see Ray, say I said hello Ok? Cheers for now.

Micky Byrne
Carter universal and soon to be restored Sho-Bud universal. U.K.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2005 4:00 am    

I use two different finger picks..
there is a fundemental reason...

I know which one goes on which finger...I always get it right....

And you thought Dr. Phil had all the answers....

t
Ray Riley

Des Moines, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2005 8:23 pm    

Bruce , I'm 65 yrs aged and some of the best picking I have ever heard was on "Highway 40 Blues " with Mr. Scaggs .
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2005 9:04 pm    

It is strange how some things are remembered and most others are not. I remember exactly where I was when I heard Bruce on Highway 40 Blues. I don't know the year Highway 40 Blues came out but I think it was around '82. I was in my pickup and the radio was on, I was on my way to my insurance office and a block away when Highway 40 Blues started playing. I sat in the pickup and listened at the whole thing and thought it was so great. Another steel song I can recall where I was is an instrumental by a very young Paul Franklin. A Gospel music radio show used it as there theme song. That was the first sure enough speed picking I had ever heard on steel and he did burn it up. I was in the floor in my two sons bedroom playing with the kids when it came on the radio. I got very excited and started listening every night that program was on to hear that theme. I don't remember how I found out who was playing it but I did find out. That would have been in the 70's I think.
I would like to know what that recording was. I would like to have a copy of it.
Jerry
Bob Mainwaring

Qualicum Beach Vancouver Island B.C. Canada
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2005 11:22 pm    

My only saving grace is that I borrow my wife's finger nail polish to paint on my first finger pick that way I can shape both the picks for a "sure fit" without having to mess for any length of time.
Bruce - you're one of my big time heroes!!

Bob Mainwaring Z.B. lover.
Tony Davis

Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2005 3:59 am    

Bruce!...I too got floored by your picking with Ricky Scaggs....I do have the Tab to Highway 40 blues.....but havent had chance to really get it down yet...but I love it!

Bob Mainwaring...can you please email me......with your proper email...keeps coming back to me...Tony
Rick Johnson

Wheelwright, Ky USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2005 5:00 am    

Bruce
I remember the first time I met you
it was back in '85 at Seymore's
store in Goodlettsville.
You were playing around with a black D-10 Emmons push-pull. There was a lacquer D-10
push-pull right beside it. Bobby told
that Hal Rugg had owned the lacquer
guitar, so I bought it. Just wondering, did you buy the black push-pull?

Best wishes

------------------
Rick Johnson
Sidney Ralph Penton

Moberly, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2005 7:49 am    

i looked at the bio of bruce's quite impressive. i always wondered what he is doing now etc and i see he is rather busy not to say how tallented this man is. he playes a few insturments besides the pedal steel. bruce my hat is off to you you have accomplished much in the music industry i personally was glad to see how active you are with your music. i hope to mee bruce some day he is my idol. thanks doc

------------------
zum SD10 peavy vegas 400 peavy session 400 steelseats they are great at sales@steelseats.com
if its not a zum steel it isn't real
just trying to steel for the Lord>

Bruce Bouton

Nash. Tn USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2005 8:57 pm    

Rick
I've still got a push pull I purchased from Harold Spain in Richmond Va.I recorde Skaggs Live in London on that guitar.
Hwy 40 was recorded on a push pull sold to me by Clyde Bloodworth. Like a fool I traded that guitar for a LeGrande . I have no idea where it ended up but I recall getting spooked that I couldn't play in tune on that guitar so I got rid of it.
happy New Year
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2005 6:26 am    

When I first heard that Ricky Skaggs 'Highways and Heartaches' album, I remember thinking that it was the most perfect country music I'd ever listened to. It was traditional in one sense, yet cutting-edge modern in terms of musicianship.

I was at both concerts at the Dominion, Tottenham Court Road (where 'Live In London' was taped), and it remains unforgettable. The stnad-out players for me were Gary Smith on piano and, of course, Bruce. I enjoyed Skaggs Tele playing to a point, but it lacked Ray Flacke's fire. Still - a wonderful band that played what I considered to be pure modern country. My only reservation? The appearance of Elvis Costello who didn't quite 'measure up'! Still, I guess the record company thought it a good idea at the time....

Anyway: thanks, Bruce, for some really exciting steel parts! You've left your mark on the instrument for sure....

RR