| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  GAS attack - another GeorgeBoards bites the dust
Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2005 1:58 pm    

These GAS attacks go in circles, don't they... Not many weeks ago I received the classy Lap King Bel Aire, and today a brand new GeorgeBoards arrived.

After getting more and more into the "6th" and "13th" tunings on my 6-strings, I started scratching my head thinking; "Well, this is cool stuff, but isn't there a couple of strings missing here?"

And lo and behold! The idea was obviously picked up by the mighty GeorgeBoards over in San Diego, because the more I scratched my head the more George posted of his new "50s retro" steels on eBay at a price I could afford (well, not really, but the things we do for art....).

I found this black beauty especially irresistible....

Steinar

------------------
www.gregertsen.com

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2005 2:07 pm    

Whoo-weee!
Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2005 3:43 pm    

Steinar, that is one sweet axe right there.
It's a known fact that black ones sound best . .

So, when do we get to hear it?

RA
Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2005 3:55 pm    

Me likeee!!!
Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2005 4:02 pm    

Bill,- me tooooo!!

Rick,- I am doing the last recordings for my CD this week/weekend, and will most probably be able to sneak in a few tracks of the GeorgeBoards.
I was pleasently surprised by the sound of it - not that I expected anything but the best - while I remember my previous GBs as quite trebly and hot, this one is very smooth and warm sounding, didn't need to roll off the treble at all.
Could it be because it's black?

Steinar

------------------
www.gregertsen.com

Terry VunCannon

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2005 4:10 pm    

Way to go Steinar. Just when you think that you have everything you need.....
And when do we get to hear it????

------------------
'49 & '51 National Dynamics, Harmos Model One, Lazy River Weissenborn, Mesa Boogie DC-3, SRV Strat.
http://community.webshots.com/user/keefriff

Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2005 4:51 am    

Sorry Terry, no soundclips from me for the time being, I'm too busy (but I may post something later when I am finished with this #%¤$€$ CD of mine).

There are several clips of George playing this one, and other "50s retro" models, on his website. For sounds, go here and for more photos of these steels, go here and here.

Steinar

------------------
www.gregertsen.com

[This message was edited by Steinar Gregertsen on 09 November 2005 at 04:55 AM.]

Fred Kinbom

Berlin, Germany, via Stockholm, Sweden.
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2005 5:47 am    

That looks great Steinar! I wanna get one of those eventually (I'm really into the C6th tuning - genius! - and the GeorgeBoards instruction DVDs...).

Med vennlig hilsen,

Fred
Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2005 6:14 am    

Don't wait too long, he's offering these for $600 now,- that must be one of the best 8-string deals available today....

Steinar

------------------
www.gregertsen.com

Randy Reeves

LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2005 6:28 am    

S. way to go. that is a very classy looking steel.

I too am hearing two more strings.
too bad the only gas I can afford is my heating gas....hey, I may not be able to afford that.!

I am thinking my third lap steel build will be an eight string.

vey nice Steinar. you should have a snug and music filled winter.
Roger Smith

Los Angeles, CA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2005 8:42 am    

Hi Steinar-
If this lap steel thing doesn't work out, photgraphy may be your calling - beautiful photo!
-rs
Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2005 9:08 am    

Thanks Roger,- I got so carried away when I should take a photo of this one, so I photographed all my other instreuments as well. The result can be viewed on my website......

Steinar

------------------
www.gregertsen.com

Mitch Druckman

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2005 2:12 pm    

I hadn't seen this model of Georgeboard before. It has a different pickup than they use on their other model. What kind of pickup is it? What's the tone like?
Kevin Ruddell

Toledo Ohio USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2005 2:26 pm    

Steinar ;

thanks for posting the photo of your new horn . I wasn't aware George was selling this new model . Very nice looking guitar. I've been using GHS roller wound semi-flat nickel strings on my Georgeboards S8's and roll some treble off with the volume and tone pot both backed down a little and it tames the hot trebly sound a bit. The second mahogany S8 I got from a forum member recently is a twin match for my S8 GB , and actually sounds a bit different due to the wood grain I think . A bit more snappy in the mid mids. I don't have a sweepable mid like a steel amp, so I just use a Boss GE-7 to cut around 800 and 1.6K a bit . It helps.
Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2005 3:03 pm    

Mitch,- it's the same Lindy Fralin pickup that's on all his models, the different appearance is because this one doesn't have the "faux-wood" strip glued on top. Probably because he wanted that red 'grin' as a contrast to the black body, I don't know.

I've owned a couple of GBs before, and found the very biting treble a bit hard to deal with, coming from a guitarist background it's not 'normal' for me to play with the tone control rolled back, I'm used to having it wide open.
This model sounds a lot mellower though, and it also has a weaker output than my previous ones,- I notice there's more space between the strings and the pickup, and according to George the magnet is a little bit smaller.

I'm recording with it right now, on a tune where I want a very clean "classic steel" kind of sound, and the GB almost scares me a little,- it's very unforgiving in the sense that it reveals any flaw in my picking technique, it's so "hi-fi" and sensitive to the dynamics...

The sustain is awesome, never heard anything like it in a 22,5" scale, it equals my 25" scale steels..

Steinar

------------------
www.gregertsen.com

Christer Fredriksen

Kristiansand, Norway
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2005 1:47 pm    

Gudd fader...

What an incredible instrument.

Me want....

Christer
Jan Jonsson

Gothenburg, Sweden
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2005 2:26 pm    

Hej Steinar,

Oh, how I love the sound of your lapsteel playing on those CD teasers on your home page! Let me know when the CD is complete. This southern neighbor definitely wants to buy a copy.

-- Jan

------------------
Sho-Bud Pro II Custom 8+6, Fulawka D-10 8+8, Fender Deluxe 8, Marrs/Fluger Cat-Can, Fender CS Nocaster

Terry VunCannon

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2005 3:18 pm    

Qoute Steinar..."it's very unforgiving in the sense that it reveals any flaw in my picking"...
...I should be so lucky to have such "flaws" in my playing technique.
...I also want to place an advance order for my copy of the CD...as a matter of fact, I would like to order a bootleg of the cuts to date, I don't think I want to wait. The material sounds great, the CD will be a keeper I think.
Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2005 6:57 pm    

Thanks guys........

I'm working more or less around the clock this weekend to finish all recordings for my CD, only sleeping when I'm too tired to achieve anything worth keeping (no 'artificial stimulies' allowed...), so hopefully I can start going over the mixes next week and have it mastered within the end of the month.

Fellow forumite Rod Bednar is busy working on the cover art (and doing some great work!), and a guy over here will do the final design with me. So with a little luck it'll be available by the end of the year, though I suspect the CD plants are pretty busy this close to Christmas...

To tell you the truth, it'll be a relief to finally have this "thing" finished,- now I want to concentrate on learning to play this instrument for real, there's so much I want to explore......

Steinar

------------------
www.gregertsen.com

[This message was edited by Steinar Gregertsen on 11 November 2005 at 06:59 PM.]