| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Raising the 4th string to F# on the E9th neck.
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2005 10:03 am    

My E9th setup is pretty much Buddy Emmons, except I lower 5 and 10, 1/2 fret. I'm going to be doing some intros, on some recordings, where I need some early Ralph Mooney. I know one of Ralph's changes involves raising the E to a F# by itself. I really don't want to put another knee lever on my guitar. I was wondering if I couldn't just use my E to F knee lever for the recordings, and raise that on up to F#. Right now the E to F knee raises strings 4 and 8---- 1/2 fret on the E9th neck. If need be, I could disconnect the 8th string where just the 4th string was pulled from E to the F#. I am certain I will need to use this E to F# change in combination with the A and B floor pedals on my Emmons setup. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions of licks to try? Thanks.
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2005 11:21 am    

If you're playing a D-10, put the E to F# on your 8th pedal. Moon plays with both feet on the pedals. It will sound a lot more authentic if you take your foot off the volume pedal.

------------------
Bobby Lee (a.k.a. b0b) - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs, Open Hearts
Williams D-12 E9, C6add9, Sierra Olympic S-12 (F Diatonic)
Sierra Laptop S-8 (E6add9), Fender Stringmaster D-8 (E13, C6 or A6)   My Blog
Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2005 11:49 am    

I like b0b's idea.Except, You'll have to come up with a rod that's the right length. If you're playing and Emmons with the 4 hole bellcranks. You can use the rod from the F lever. Just don't cut it off. ..bb
Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2005 11:52 am    

Oh I forgot. If you're playing a D-10.? Just borrow a rod and crank from the 8th or 9th pedal on C6th. They're easy to get to..
Chick Donner

North Ridgeville, OH USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2005 12:52 pm    

I've been doing that for 30+ years. Nice change. I do it on a knee (now the "inner" knee in (R) on the left leg.
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2005 1:39 pm    

I like b0b's idea and that's exactly what I did to my guitar! It's a S-12 which I sent to the factory (BMI) a few months ago and got an 8th pedal added which raised both the 4th and 8th strings to F# and now for Mooney stuff I just take my right foot off the volume pedal and go for it. On my old ShoBud I had a left verticle knee lever to do the change but I think it's really more authentic to use the floor pedal, and faster too.........JH in Va.

------------------
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2005 4:38 pm    

Too many people think that Mooney's sound comes his set-up, and I beg to differ. It's a playing style, and not any particular pedal, that makes his playing so identifiable. IMHO, it does not require a special setup, or raising the E-F# by itself.

John Bresler R.I.P.

Thornton, Colorado
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2005 4:56 pm    

I agree with Donny on this one. Jeff Newman did Mooney stuff with his 3 & 3 setup. Sounded pretty authentic to me.

Mike Headrick

South Pittsburg, TN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2005 5:34 pm    

I have listened to and analyzed just about everything Ralph played on. I find very few instances (in comparison)where he played the fifth string while raising the fourth to F#. The standard third pedal will suffice in almost every case.
Jim Florence

wilburton, Ok. US * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2005 5:42 pm    

I've been raising that string a full step with my {right knee right} for as long as I can remember.
Delbert Aldredge

Willis, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2005 5:54 pm    

Keith, you have that raise from "E" to F# on your "C" pedal. Why would you want another?
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2005 6:50 pm    

Delbert, when I raise the E to F#, I don't want to raise the B to C#. I want the B not to raise any. The C pedal raises both the E and B. I don't want to change my C pedal. Just get the E to F# change somewhere else.
I know B0B is right about getting the change on a pedal, instead of a knee lever, because Mooney uses both feet.

[This message was edited by Keith Hilton on 28 December 2005 at 06:51 PM.]

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2005 11:15 pm    

Gotta go with Mike,Donny and John on this one.. I have no real problem copping many of Ralphs licks on a standard 3rd pedal.. IMHO , you wouldn't get much benefit from splitting that change..at least not enough to warrant the effort involved..bob

[This message was edited by Bob Carlucci on 28 December 2005 at 11:17 PM.]

Joe Miraglia

Jamestown N.Y.
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2005 1:48 pm    

use strings 5,6,8 ,use the A pedal raise 5th string B to C# . You are still raising the 5th note 2 notes. Joe
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2005 2:13 pm    

Just a thought... If it is basically for a coupla studio jobs and not long term, just back off the endplate tuner for string 5 B>C# on your C pedal, and you have your stand-alone E>F# on string 4.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2005 4:19 am    

I've been trying to work this change in lately, and the more I try, the more I think b0b is right.

Having no use for pedal 7, maybe that's the ticket.

[This message was edited by Charlie McDonald on 30 December 2005 at 04:20 AM.]

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2005 11:52 am    

I have a pull on my 9th pedal on C6th (10th string) that I never use and have been thinking of moving it to the E9th and put the 4th string to F# there for 2 foot use. The only problem I can see is that with 3 pulls still on the C6th neck, it might be a little stiff to actuate as fast as I would want.

------------------
Carter D10 9p/9k, NV400, Korg Triton Le88 Synth, Korg CX-3 organ, Yamaha Motif Rack Module, Regal Dobro, Tele, Gretsch Acoustic.

Buck Grantham R.I.P.

Denham Springs, LA. USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2005 5:38 pm    

I raised the 4th string on my Right knee right for over 15 years and it worked perfectly for Mooney stuff for me. I didn't have it put on my Mullen and I still miss it a lot.